My cats wont stop scratching my rugs !

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
laura1959
VIP Cat Chatter!

My cats wont stop scratching my rugs !

Post by laura1959 »

Help my cats wont stop scratching my rugs especially one of them,i have bought a hessian rug and a scratch post and tried to encourage them to use them but Fix just goes to the rugs and sooner or later are going to ruin them what can I do please?? :( :(
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Re: My cats wont stop scratching my rugs !

Post by meriad »

Could you lift the rug and put it away until they use the scratch post and hessian rug? Scratching is also scent marking so once they have their scent on something else hopefully they'll stop scratching the rug once it's back down
laura1959
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by laura1959 »

[quote="meriad"]Could you lift the rug and put it away until they use the scratch post and hessian rug? Scratching is also scent marking so once they have their scent on something else hopefully they'll stop scratching the rug once it's back down[/quote the rug is in the middle of the living room I have had the scratch post and hessian mat for months ouzo uses the mat but fix will keep scratching the rug and the end of the sofa and the bed too .
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Kay »

Trigger used to be a serial wool rug scratcher - I'm guessing your rugs are wool too - and I found two things stopped him - a piece of decking covered with a wool carpet sample and switching to a rug made from polypropylene

he still scratched the rug a bit, but it didn't show like it did on the wool one, and it was a half-hearted scratch because he couldn't dig his claws in as much

and of course the polypropylene rug was much cheaper than wool, and machine washable

covering the sofa where Fix scratches with a throw should do the trick - but anchor it under the sofa feet otherwise you'll create a cat cave which will be irrestistible!
laura1959
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by laura1959 »

Kay wrote:Trigger used to be a serial wool rug scratcher - I'm guessing your rugs are wool too - and I found two things stopped him - a piece of decking covered with a wool carpet sample and switching to a rug made from polypropylene

he still scratched the rug a bit, but it didn't show like it did on the wool one, and it was a half-hearted scratch because he couldn't dig his claws in as much

and of course the polypropylene rug was much cheaper than wool, and machine washable

covering the sofa where Fix scratches with a throw should do the trick - but anchor it under the sofa feet otherwise you'll create a cat cave which will be irrestistible!
I have a throw which is quiet big but they she goes for the sides the rug is wool and mix materials but cannot cover as we are walking in and out of living room and front door entry is into living room .
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

My lot love these heavy coir door mats and, mostly, will use them in preference to the rugs. They're nice and heavy so don't lift when they really go for it.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cast-Iron-Style ... B003V99IP0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
laura1959
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by laura1959 »

Crewella wrote:My lot love these heavy coir door mats and, mostly, will use them in preference to the rugs. They're nice and heavy so don't lift when they really go for it.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cast-Iron-Style ... B003V99IP0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
the problem is she keeps scratching my living room rug/end of sofa and end of bed ,like I say I have a scratching post and a mat similar to the one amazon one but she wont go near it.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

You could try putting double-sided sticky tape on the areas you want them to avoid, at least on the end of the bed and the sofa? They hate the feeling of it.
Lulu54
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Lulu54 »

The only way I can stop my cats shredding everything Laura is to keep them out of my living room. They live in the back of the house in the dining room and kitchen with a cat flap into the garden and the carpeted area of the house is off limits.
They have their own sofa - a cheap one off ebay which they have pretty much destroyed.
I clip their claws but that doesn't make any difference. They only go in the living area when I am at home to supervise - during the day the door is firmly shut.
That is what cats do I'm afraid.