Litter box problems

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
jillyvillyvoo
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Litter box problems

Post by jillyvillyvoo »

Hi everyone I need any help I can get. I have taken in a stray until we find owner or new home. It is in a room on its own as can't mix with my cat. Seems very chilled, eating well but will only use litter tray to urinate. Soils on top of the bed! Have tried some of the advice i have read even tried putting 2 litter boxes in different areas. Cleaned soiled area really well but will just do on other bed! Any ideas please.
Thanks
PS forgot to say he has been vet checked, a neutered male but not chipped and tested positive for fiv
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Litter box problems

Post by Lilith »

Hi Jilly and welcome - and good on you for taking in this boy :)

A couple of solutions could be:-

Put the cat mess in his tray and he might get the message that that is where he's supposed to do it. A lot of strays, especially in areas with not much garden space, get out of the way of burying their faeces; round here I've seen cats doing it on the pavement like dogs.

Are the beds being slept in? If not, and if there's no room to store them elsewhere, strip them, if you haven't done so, lay tinfoil over the mattress, and plastic sheeting over that, tucking in if possible. This will not feel very hospitable to hopeful paws! (Bog standard cheap tinfoil and wheelybin bags, split at the bottom and down one side, ought to do the job.) It's the rustliness of the foil underfoot that they hate, and the plastic would keep it in place and prevent any attempt to get underneath, as well as preventing any more fouling/staining.

There will be other people along with more ideas soon - do hope you help him overcome his problem and get him placed soon. Again congrats for being his friend in need, though not very grateful is he, naughty boy? Give him a love from me :)
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

good suggestions there - another one might be to put a thick layer of garden soil on top of the cat litter, as that is the smell and texture he will be used to using outside - it's not uncommon even for cats who have had homes in the past never to have encountered a litter tray in their lives

I do hope you can get him trained up, for his sake as well as yours, as he will be much easier to rehome without this problem
jillyvillyvoo
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by jillyvillyvoo »

Yay, last night he did his business in his box, which is vast improvement from the pillow the night beore! Thanks for the advice hope onight goes well too
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Hey that's great! :D

Hope he obliges - or has obliged - tonight!

Me, I have to report a fail - my horrible youngest, Molly, has just used the bath...again, despite clean trays...the politest term I've used is 'foul little toad!'

I mean it's easily disinfected, unlike a bed, and it's my fault as I forgot to do the bath out with lemon Jif - but all the same...principle of the thing. I'd leave a bit of water in the bath to keep her out but the plug leaks. She is skulking at the moment but will soon be on the bed, purring, as they do...Yup, here she comes...

Hope this is a turning point for your lad! :D
jillyvillyvoo
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by jillyvillyvoo »

We now have full success in the toilet department, no more poop on the pillows or bed! Fantastic advice lillith and Kay :D . He has a place now in CP adoption centre as they have great success apparently at reoming fiv+ cats. Somehow I never managed to get him there though (nnot that I'm getting attached or anything) However I did go and see the place which was a mistake as I, wanted to take quite a few home with me! The place and the staff are fab but do I have it in me to take him on Sunday as arranged?.. we will see.......
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Hey congrats and only too glad if I could help but you've done all the hard work! :D

Good on you for turning this guy's life around and getting him over what could have been a serious handicap re rehoming. It will be a wrench to part with him though he'll be in good hands by the sound of it.

Give him a big fuss from me and all the very very best for his future! :D