New cat with resident cat

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
suelily
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

New cat with resident cat

Post by suelily »

Hi everyone I am new to this. I rehomed a 18month old female cat 4 weeks ago. I already have an 8 year old male. Both are neutered. My male cat Dexy is very curious of Lily. If she is minding her own business he keeps going up & looks like he wants to bite her by this I mean the way your cat just looks like its biting your hand when he has had enough petting. I don't think he wants to hurt her but I am scared that he will.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: New cat with resident cat

Post by Lilith »

Hi there and welcome and congrats on the new arrival.

I think this is just about the best combination for introductions - the older resident male to a new young female, or male come to that; there are always exceptions but older females do tend to be territorial.

To me it sounds as if Dexy's getting quite fascinated with Lily; he's appproaching her, sensing her with all his senses, which would account for that look of concentration on his face. You may even see him put out a curious paw to touch her, but I don't think he'll bite.

The next step in the game may be him lying down and giving her come-hithery looks over his shoulder. Then, with a look on his face as if to say, 'I've no idea what my tail's doing', he may start twitching it so as to entice her to come closer and play. She's not much more than a kitten and so another curious paw may be extended...she will begin to follow him about...

Sounds as if these two are quietly getting used to each other; hope soon there's a lot of playing and galloping about (life won't be quite so quiet then lol) and the mutual curling together and washing...every cat needs a companion and I hope these two have many happy years ahead of them.

Let us know how you go on :)
suelily
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: New cat with resident cat

Post by suelily »

Hi Lilith. Funny enough her name was Lilith and I changed it to Lily because my son could not say it. I try to just let them have their paw swipes as I do not want to keep chastising Dexy. It has been his home for 8 years after all. I am in a flat near a busy road but he is an indoor cat but Lilys previous owner let her out and she ended up having kittens. Poor thing. She was dressed b4 I got her & microchipped but I got her first jab on Monday & her 2nd one in 3 weeks. I cant help reading articles on the web but 2 b honest my mind is boggling. So it was when I saw catchat I thought nothing better than getting advice from ppl who have the experience. I know every situation differs but its good to read about other ppls situations that r similar 2 mine. Thanks