Milla had her kittens

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Re: Milla had her kittens

Post by bobbys girl »

I'm not sure what the others think is causing this, but sometimes there is black poo in our litter trays. Don't know which cat has done it (might be all of them). It looks dry, so it might be that the cat is a little dehydrated for some reason. It doesn't worry me as it is only an occasional thing and they appear fine otherwise.

It might be iron, I know it can cause dark poo. But that might be a sign that it is surplus to requirements and you should stop the tablets. Too much iron can be bad for you. If you can't get any straight answers from your vet and you don't get an answer from someone with experience on this site, you could 'Google' it.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Lilith »

Hi and congrats about the exams! :D

For what it's worth - i once had a kitten of around Kala's age who ate a lot of chicken mince and passed very dark stools but he was fine. Just now when I was doing the kitchen tray I noticed that Emily, whose diet hasn't changed, had passed very dark motions too, and I've seen similar motions over the years in healthy cats. I know that internal bleeding produces what's described as 'tarry' stools which are black from digested blood - I did google to find a photograph but nothing. I'm no expert obviously but i think there's a difference between a dark stool and a 'tarry' stool. As Bobbys girl has noticed, the dark stools do tend to be firmer.

Hoping that this is simply because Kala is now passing from milk-fed to fully weaned; within a week or so you may notice a difference in the motions...lol, don't we lead a fascinating life, s**t shovelling! :shock: :lol:
Joe_Danger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Joe_Danger »

Milla and Kala enjoying a nap in the sun this morning after about an hour of roughhousing and wracking havoc in the living room
http://i.imgur.com/w8s8KtX.jpg
I love these two so much

Fortunately today Kala's stool is perfectly normal
man that was weird, it was black like not dark brown but black...dang
Seems today she is back to the way she was before, she also nurses more now that Milla's heat is over, that was a quick and easy heat

The internet really needs more info other than the gloom and doom most sites write first.
I learned a lot about raising kittens throughout all this and I learned that most of the things that are written online are either some kind of false, overblown or simply describe the worst possible situations.
There's also a ton of sketchy sites out there, like there was one site where you'd enter and it pops up a chat box with supposedly a vet...or a vet's assistant, it's a scam and one I saw a mile away, I'm not dumb and know when I converse with a bot and when the person on the other side of the chat is real. So after going through the bot by typing completely random characters it took me to a page where you're supposed to pay to resume the chat with a vet this time, all lies of course.
There's also sites that simply copy and paste content from other sites just to get clicks, poorly designed and outdated or even dead sites.

If not for this forum I wouldn't have been able to learn as much as I did, it's different when you talk to real people with real experience as opposed to just cold hard facts written down on a site somewhere :)
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mayday21 »

Congrats on your results! Sure Kayla's fine but keep us posted. Vivian
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

What a lovely picture. They look so happy together.

BTW congratulations on your exams.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Awww! That photo is sweeeet! :D

Does sound as if Kala's motions have gone back to normal by getting more milk from Milla - the darkness was probably simply from adapting to the solid diet - I think maybe this will happen again when Milla's milk dries up, and the motions will resolve themselves as Kala grows up.

Lol - don't get me started on rubbish websites! They drive me crazy! A lot of course are just selling dubious 'services' under the guise of being terribly healthy and dedicated. All those smiling faces. Hoping to rake in the kind of people who succumb to the 'Your Problem Solved Instantly! Just Add Money!' approach. And the ads and pop-ups, grrrr! I just want to scroll down without being pestered to buy a car, a wedding cake, crummy furniture, sign up for a cruise, a business course, a holiday guaranteed to make me 'interesting', the latest charity scam that ensures my details will be sold on to every other charity on the planet...aarrgh, I could go on. But I won't :)
Joe_Danger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Joe_Danger »

Well at least ads and pop ups can be easily removed nowadays with a few simple steps and it will make your browser much faster and much easier to use. I don't know the state your system is now if you haven't used the right ad blockers for a long time (I can imagine it being in a very very bad state) but if you're using google Chrome or FireFox it's easy to install ad-ons/extensions that are going to take care of pop ups in no time.
If you're using Internet Explorer...well don't lol, ever. It may not be as bad as it was but it's not that good either.

For Chrome and FireFox I suggest uBlock Origin, it's fairly lightweight and doesn't use resources but gets the blocking job done pretty much perfectly.
You won't be seeing any ads or pop ups, only the stuff that should be seen will be displayed.

It's completely non intrusive and it just sits next to your address bar so you can easily disable it if needed, here's what it looks like:
http://i.imgur.com/sfsJzCK.jpg
one click of that and you can disable it if needed
Joe_Danger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Joe_Danger »

Took Mill and Kala for their shots just now, they're both doing great.
But holy rubbish, at the vet there was this guy with a Sharplaninec puppy, one of my favorite dog breeds
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C5%A0arplaninac
Supposedly this guy rescued 5 of them from some backwater morons who fed the puppies with NOTHING but bread and water, the parents are apparently show dogs and champions to boot but apparently due to lack of experience with puppies these morons fed them with nothing but bread and friggin WATER, so the this dude rescued them from death's door and is now doing everything in his power to save their lives.

Here's what I don't understand, how stupid and uneducated do you have to be to breed animals in this day and age and not inform and educate yourself properly on how to raise them. How do you raise show dogs that win awards yet you can't take proper care of their puppies? I was so infuriated and so was the vet and of course the guy who rescued the poor puppies. If I could provide a good home for that type of dog I would have bought that puppy form him right there and then regardless of price.
This bread and water thing is familiar to me, I've heard of many many others who feed puppies nothing but bread and water, it's insane and I wish nothing but ill on such people.

edit: lol at the auto correct of words on the forum :) I definitely did not say holy rubbish there
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Hi Joe and thanks - I must really do something about this pc - trouble is my ISP is the worst offender. One of these days I'll ring them. When I'm feeling really grrrrrr....

That Sharpalinec breed's gorgous - hadn't heard of them before. But heard of idiots cutting costs of puppy food. In '79 I bought an Alsatian puppy...the litter had been reared on...bread and Oxo :shock:

Despite this she made a fine dog but was always light-boned - not surprising! And she was always a thief where food was concerned - she'd eat anything - not surprising either. One night she got the larder door open and ate a packet of teabags and a floor mop sponge. A slab of cheese left out on the kitchen counter overnight was a prize, and she'd also snack on my books :(

I DID feed her properly btw lol!

Glad Milla and Kala are doing well :)
Joe_Danger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Joe_Danger »

These type of issues aren't related to your ISP in the slightest.
Anything and everything that goes on in your system short of the connecting not working is not on their end.
Pop up ads, viruses, malware/spyware that has nothing to do with the ISP and they can't really do anything to stop or prevent these things, that's all on the user's end.
Only thing an ISP can provide service with is if the connection is unstable, not working and such and even then the issue might not be with them if the user's computer is infested with malware.

Sorting these type of issues can be a pain so if a system is too infected the best bet would be to back everything important up and reformat, then install the proper protection ...and this can be tricky as well since there's a ton of protection software out there that claims to do things it doesn't do and only puts further strain on system resources.
A good start would be to avoid Norton and McAfee because despite what they claim to be, they're not, they're just going to slow your system down.
I'm an artist not a computer guy, but over the years I've accumulated enough knowledge and experience to unfortunately be my family and friends' computer guy tho I've distanced myself from that due to me really really hating to deal with computers, I maintain my systems perfectly but that's about it :)

I'd love to give you some assistance but these things usually require that whoever is fixing the computer sits down and fixes it there and then, any and all advice on how to fix it over the internet could result in further damage, especially if the person fixing the system isn't very computer savvy.

However after you reformat I suggest installing ad blockers for your browsers, uBlock Origin is good, installing MalwareBytes as your anti-malware tool and purchasing its full version with realtime protection and never, ever ever opening SPAM emails or clicking on weird ads that somehow slipped through the blockers tho that's rare.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Ah. Well.

The two worst popups both come from my ISP. One calls itself a 'new service provider application' and it's recommended I deny it, so I do, but it keeps coming back, and if I'm trying to log on and it keeps coming back, I know it's going to knock my internet off and all I can do is to turn the damn pc off and try again later.

The other one pops up everywhere and urges me to update my computer protection for free. Fine. Trouble is, I need to input my 'parental protection code'. I've no idea what this is, I've never been given one, and in any case I'm not a parent. I rang them up about this and the guy I talked to didn't know anything about a code; his only advice was to ignore it. Only the thing won't be ignored. It likes to pester when I'm logging off and makes me keep having to go back to square one (grrr, there it was again!)

I pay my isp for 'protection' and ohhh yes, I've been pestered to death by McAfee & Co but have survived...

So this is why I'm inclined to blame the isp. Both popups have the isp's logo.

I'm also totally computer illiterate, which doesn't help...well, to put it bluntly I'm a total thicko - tell me to paste a URL into my browser and I'll go 'uhhh...whaat?' :roll:

But thanks all the same for your help - much appreciated :)
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

I second that Joe. We have Malware and Avast Free Antivirus. It is not perfect, but pretty damn close! Wish our old ipad was so well protected. It has not so much 'pop-up's' as 'leap out in front of you's'. I keep clicking on ad's by mistake.GRRRRR :evil:

Lilith - OH is pretty good with the pooters. If you PM me with your problem I could ask him about it.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Aww thanks Bobbys Girl - I might take you up on that :)