Serious cockroach infestation in my building - I need help/info regarding poison

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
Joe_Danger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Serious cockroach infestation in my building - I need help/info regarding poison

Post by Joe_Danger »

There's a very very serious infestation of cockroaches in my building, it's especially bad on the very top floor where we live. Of course we keep our flat spotless, in my country it's normal to live with family regardless of age(im saying this because I am labeled a loser by every single forum I go to for living with my family at 32 so it's been somewhat of a huge problem for me on the internet...even though I'm a hard working illustrator and graphics designer who makes good money and all), so my mom keeps the house spotless alright but that doesn't stop the cockroaches from going out full force especially when the weather is colder. Now I'm not squeamish and bugs don't bother me one bit, but it's still not a nice thing to have big black cockroaches who've been god knows where crawl all over you in your sleep. The neighbors are stressing out too but usually they call exterminators and take care of it, albeit temporary. My building also organizes spraying every 6 months but while that guy's stuff appears safe for pets it clearly isn't strong enough to get rid of the vermin for longer periods of time.

Talking to different exterminators and trying to figure out what they put in their poison so we could figure out if it's safe for pets to breathe in since we never spray where the cats go is fruitless, they just want your money and will tell you anything as they often do and refuse to say what type of chemicals they put in their poison simply because they don't know, they usually say they make custom stuff.

Reading info online doesn't help much because it's all catered towards the western world like the US and UK, products that are available there are usually not sold here in Macedonia or are under different names. Exterminators aren't obligated by law not to lie and as strange as it may sound to you guys, they do lie here because it's a different world out here.

We found exterminators who seem more professional and whose poison from what people have told us gets rid of vermin for a long time if not for good, but the exterminators themselves say they have very strong poison but isn't safe for pets, supposedly however after 3 days it should be fine.
So we decided to rent out a place for a week while the exterminators spray everything inside our flat and let it sit for 3 days, then come back without the cats(by then the kittens should be given away but we're keeping one probably), clean everything up and the next day return them hoem too.
Milla isn't stressed by environment changes in the least, so for her this won't be an issue at all, in fact she adores new places unlike Anastasia before her.

But is that a safe idea? The cockroaches are a very serious problem at this point and the traps and solid poisons we have behid closets and in places where the cats can't get to don't seem to do much anymore.
papa cat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 0

Re: Serious cockroach infestation in my building - I need help/info regarding poison

Post by papa cat »

If there is the slightest possibility that the insecticide used by the exterminators is harmful to other animals I would suggest that you do not allow them to treat your apartment, KEEP THEM OUT !!!

In your own apartment only use an insecticide that is not going to harm your cats, put it there yourself, and keep your cats inside so they don't come into contact with something outside the apartment that may harm them.
Joe_Danger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: Serious cockroach infestation in my building - I need help/info regarding poison

Post by Joe_Danger »

That much I know, but it's not easy finding something not harmful to cats especially when no info is given to us what the stuff they use contains.
Unfortunately the infestation is so severe it's high time we do something, it's a real problem.

There's this Fipronil thing, it can be applied to spots where the cats don't go but what if a kitten injects a poisonous cockroach, Milla doesn't eat them and only slaps them with her paw if she gets annoyed by them, won't even sniff them but the kittens are still young.

Of course we aren't doing anything until the kittens are given away
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by MarkB »

I don't know that there is a safe pesticide. We have a similar problem in my house with moths. The carpets are ruined, but too scared to put anything down in case it poisons the cats. We have just decided to have new carpets put in at some point, but to have man-made fibres instead of wool.

The only thing that I can suggest is trying diatomaceous earth. It is safe for pets, but when insects like cockroaches come into contact with it, it cuts their bodies and they dry out. Maybe worth a try. It must be the food grade, not swimming pool grade, which has impurities.

There is an insecticide, while stil dangerous, can be used in areas where you are certain pets can't reach. It is called Dethlac. The insecticide is suspended in a laquer that sets. I can't say for sure how safe it is to use. I used some outside the house high up on walls where the cats can't reach, for when we had a serious earwig problem. http://www.amazon.co.uk/STV-Internation ... B000TAQU4Q
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by meriad »

found this on the internet - may be of some help:-

Cockroaches

The best defense against cockroaches is a clean kitchen and bathroom. If roaches are a problem in your home or apartment, vacuum well and wash the area with a strong soap. Dispose of the vacuum cleaner bag in a sealed container.
Also try:
Non-Toxic Cockroach Control

Diatomaceous earth is a safe alternative which can be sprinkled in areas where roaches congregate, especially hidden areas such a cabinet tops and behind appliances. Harmless to people, the tiny particles cut the waxy exoskeleton and kills the insect within 48 hours. For a week or so after the treatment, the dehydrating insects will search more actively for water. Therefore, do not be surprised if you see roaches more often after the treatment. Most roaches should be killed within two weeks of application. Click for more info or to purchase diatomaceous earth

Catnip is a natural repellent to cockroaches. The active ingredient is nepetalactone, which is non-toxic to humans and pets. Small sachets of catnip can be left in areas of cockroach activity. Catnip can also be simmered in a small amount of water to make a "catnip tea" which can be used as a spray to apply around baseboards and behind counters. This natural repellent should only be used in homes without cats!

Keep a spray bottle of soapy water on hand. Spraying roaches directly with soapy water will kill them.

In an empty one pound coffee can, place 1 or 2 pieces of bread which have been soaked thoroughly with beer. Place in areas known to have roach infestations.

It is a little known fact that roaches like high places. If you put boric acid on TOP of your kitchen cabinets (not inside), if space allows between ceiling and cabinets, the roaches will take the boric acid to their nests, killing all of them. Boric acid is toxic by mouth - keep away from children and pets.

Leave bay leaves, cucumber slices or garlic in the affected area as deterrents.

Non-toxic roach traps are commercially available. Click for more info or to purchase Non-toxic Cockroach Traps
Joe_Danger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Joe_Danger »

Boric acid mixed with dough was the first thing we did and it helped a bit, it appears the roaches are coming from somewhere between the roof and my mom's bedroom, cleanness isn't an issue in our house so that's ruled out. We couldn't put the boric acid balls up high since Milla climbs all the way there, so we stuffed them behind the wardrobes and such in my mom's room.
Fortunately we have no issues with them in the kitchen and where we keep food, thank god for that

The other stuff I don't think we tried so definitely giving that a shot too, but the problem appears to be outside our apartment or somewhere in the pipes since they also pop up a lot in ours and the neighbors' bathrooms who share walls with us.

The roof was thoroughly cleaned and the cleaning was paid for by the building by everyone even neighbors on the lower floors who don't have a roach problems unlike those of us living on top, but that didn't stop them for long. An exterminator also went up there and sprayed everything he could....
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

Fipronil is one of the less problematic chemicals for cats as it is the main ingredient in Frontline flea treatment. If you are able to get some of this gel bait between sprays and apply it in corners where the cats cannot get to it, this might be helpful (shop around and see if you can buy it online somewhere for shipping to your country):

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Maxforce-Magnum ... DCCJQHEFD8
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

I am sorry to read you are having problems with these revolting creatures. I agree with Mark, I don't think there is a 'safe' insecticide.

I once worked on the top floor of an old factory in Stoke. The company next door demolished an old building next to us. Within a week we were overrun with the damn things. They sent someone to spray against them - during work hours! He turned up in full hazmat gear and we were asked to vacate the room while he sprayed. I asked what he was using and he said 'it is something to kill the bugs'. 'Yes, but WHAT?' They thought I was being awkward, asking too many questions. :? :evil: We did see the back of them eventually.

Can you get into the roof space? That way you could deal with the blighters before the get into your home and the cats would not be affected. You have to consider your own health too!

As for 'still living with your mum', I am 56 and still living with mine - except you could say that these days SHE lives with ME. :lol:
Joe_Danger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Joe_Danger »

It's drastically reduced now but the "professionals" we seem to be hiring are only short term solutions.
I think when I have less work since I work from home and I work 8-16 hours a day easily as an illustrator/graphics design, well when I have less work I figured I could go with that idea of renting out an apartment for a week so we can move in there with the cats and call professionals that have like super deadly poison to take care of the roaches and wait it out for say, 5-7 days until it becomes safe for the cats again to come home.

We'll see how that turns out though, I'm up to my neck in work for my jobs and even college so I don't have much time for such things at the moment :)