Next stage to intregrating new cat.Help!

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
evie72
New Cat Chatter

Next stage to intregrating new cat.Help!

Post by evie72 »

Hi New to this site. Just need advice please. We have just taken my daughters cat into our home permanently. We already have two cats -mother and daughter. All cats are 6 - 8 yrs old. New cat is separated in own little room and seems to be settling in - eating drinking using litter tray etc.
None of the cats have seen each other so far though my cats are beginning to realise 'something' is in there! I have been stroking and changing scents between them and will change bedding round in next few days. SO FAR SO GOOD.
My question is this - What next?? I am really unsure how to actually get that them to meet face to face! I suppose I could put the new cat in a cage and bring her out but don't like to stress her by putting her 'on show' . Also the fact that we have TWO cats makes it one sided. After all the preparation before, there is still the day we have to open that door and what ? stand back and let them sort it out? Give it 5 mins and separate them? I think my cats will become very stressed more so than the new one at that stage. I read all about meeting at mealtimes then separating etc but I don't think that would help. Any suggestion on that initial meeting? Thank you
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Re: Next stage to intregrating new cat.Help!

Post by meriad »

What you could also do is take the new cat and put her in a carrier and into another room, and then do a room swap, ie the existing cats into the bonding room for a bit whilst the new cat gets a chance to explore the rest of the house (just make sure all doors and windows are closed AND locked so they can't accidentally be opened). That just increases the scent exchange thing.

Then feeding either side of the door so they can sense each other under the door gap, eventually having them all in the same room eating opposite ends, have treats to hand and lots of distractions (ie toys) in case you need

I was lucky with my last three intro's but then 1 was with Harry who just adores other cats and the other 2 were kittens so loads easier.

Good luck!
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by meriad »

Oh, and one other thing - provided they don't have a full on fight, do expect a bit of hissing and growling and try and intervene as little as possible. They need to sort things at their own pace and decide their own hierachy. Also if you accept that they may never be bosom buddies then that's also half the human battle won, as long as they tolerate and can live along side each other. Obviously if they decide to be best friends forever then fab!
evie72
New Cat Chatter

Post by evie72 »

Hi just read your reply - think the exchange idea is brilliant will definately try that one in next day or so. Have just changed all the bedding round so we shall see as time goes by. Next stage after the house, the cat flap and garden, then the 'don't attack the ducks' drill! thanks so much. :P
evie72
New Cat Chatter

Post by evie72 »

Good heavens just seen you have 6 cats!! so there really speaks the voice of experience.Ha ha
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by meriad »

try keep her inside for 4 weeks before you let her out - that'll give her time to get used to her surroundings. Then when the time comes, let her out before breakfast (ideally on a weekend when you're not rushing to work) and then call her back inside and give her a treat, then back outside a bit longer and then call back in and more treats and then go from there.

What I've done with my lot is trained them that the sounds of a certain cat toy (it's a rattle type one) means food / treat time. So instead of being outside and calling them one by one I shake the rattle and usually within 15 minutes or so they're home. Maybe you could use the time between now and going outside to train your newbie girl as well?

As for the ducks - collar with bell to give advance warning to the ducks? Although I'd have thought one nip from a duck will quickly cure her off chasing them?

Good luck
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

I agree with everything Meriad has said, with the additional proviso that you play it by ear a little, some cats I have integrated within a week as all the signs from the first meeting were good, and others have taken a lot longer and with a lot more care and supervision. You'll soon know which you have! ;)

The Cat Chat advice page is very helpful:

http://www.catchat.org/hierarchies.html
evie72
New Cat Chatter

Post by evie72 »

Hi it's me again trying to intergrate one new cat into 2 cat family. I can't believe I can't get to grips with this! What has happened is that we got to the stage of putting netting across new cat's door so they could see each other, but have found that Tabithia [new one] is VERY vocal whereas our two [Daisy and Boots] aren't so she's meowing and/or growling and ours may growl a little then just rush past and head upstairs. And thats where they stay most of the day! In the end we started letting Tabs out into the main room to get used to surrounding whilst our two stayed upstairs. [We did all the changing scents etc and bedding but don't know how much good it did]. Now of course though Tabithia is still nervous she is getting bolder and our two are not having a good time at all! I read about feeding them at the same time on opposite sides if the room but ours don't want to be anywhere near.
I am wondering how to solve this one? Go back to keeping her in 'her'room which is fine because they will never meet face to face. Ha ha. With the netting up ours feel safer I think, but again it has to come down some time! So what do I do go back to square one and how do I make our 2 feel like it's their home as well again? Sorry I feel like a wimp about this. Any thoughts about way forward?
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by meriad »

what do they do if you just leave them all to their own device, ie no locking up of anyone? Growling and hissing is to be expected and totally normal and as long as they're not fighting in all honesty I'd just let them be and let them sort themselves out. Your existing two will soon get used to having Tabithia around and whilst they may never be best friends if they learn to live alongside each other then great.

When I got Harry (then a 2 year old recently neutered male), my Monty (3 year old neutered male) took great exception and would also disappear quite a bit. Eventually I think he got bored of being the one outside whilst Harry had it comfy inside and he'd come in... to this day they're not best of friends and never will be but they've learned to tolerate each other.
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by meriad »

Oh and to add, re the feeding idea.... i'd start feeding your two where you normally do and Tabs in the hallway or somewhere else close by. Feed the others first and then Tabs... then bit by bit move Tabs' bowl closer to the others

You'll get there