theos annual check up

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
nanny pamy
VIP Cat Chatter!

theos annual check up

Post by nanny pamy »

Hi folks. Ive had an email saying Theo is due his annual check up and booster injections. Now I'm a bit confused. Ive been looking online and lots of people say booster injections are only nessesary every 3yrs. Some say indoor cats don't need the leukaemia booster at all. Just cat flu and diareeah. Sorry I have no idea how to spell that word :lol: Theres even "ask a vet" and its says vets will talk you into yearly boosters but its unnecessary.I just rang my vet to ask advice about this but the young receptionist just said "oh yeh I think its advisable to get it done". I explained that he doesn't go out and she just said "oh right, well see what the vet says". Any advice appreciated.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: theos annual check up

Post by Kay »

I can't see why an indoor cat which has no contact with any cat with outdoor access needs protection against leukemia

One thing to consider with the other usual vaccinations is the insistence by catteries on annual boosters - might you ever need to put Theo in one?
nanny pamy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by nanny pamy »

Thanks Kay. It was just that I typed in on Google "do cats need annual boosters" and lots of info came up regarding the injections but reading between the lines it seems unnessasary for indoor cats.
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by meriad »

It's not just the catteries; if you've got pet insurance for Theo check with them as well as they also seem to insist on annual boosters.
MarySkater
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by MarySkater »

nanny pamy wrote: Just cat flu and diareeah. Sorry I have no idea how to spell that word :lol:
There's a character in a Terry Pratchett novel who spells it "dire rear." :D