Bringing a new kitten home?

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
Crumpets
New Cat Chatter

Bringing a new kitten home?

Post by Crumpets »

Hello,
hope you can help, I am looking for a British shorthair kitten but not sure what questions to ask the breeder.

Is there anything I should do/or look out for when choosing a kitten?

If I don't intend to breed does the kitten need to be registered?

Must have items to bring a kitten home?

I have been advised to consider a kitten cage, just for the first few weeks until he feels secure what are your thoughts?

Any other tips would be appreciated, thank you.
alanc
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Bringing a new kitten home?

Post by alanc »

Hi
A few things from what I can remember from acquiring Badger and Tilly 6 years ago:
Ask to see as many of the kittens close relatives as possible, although as many breeders mate their cats with cats from other breeders stock, both mum and dad may not be available to view but mum ought to be. Looking at the relations should indicate how healthy the stock is.
Kittens shouldn't leave home until 13 weeks, by which time they should have had their first inoculations at 8 weeks and second at 12 weeks, so ask to see his vaccination certificate.
Your breeder will probably register your kitten anyway, and will also insist that he is neutered before being allowed out.
Also ask your breeder for a feeding plan so you know how much to feed as he grows up. You will also need to know what brand he is eating as you will need to continue with that for some weeks to avoid upsetting his tummy - he will have quite enough stress moving to a new home without having to adjust to different food as well.
Hope this helps
alanc
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Bringing a new kitten home?

Post by alanc »

Forgot to add:
Must have items before bringing him home:
Bed, food bowl, litter tray large enough for him when fully grown and litter (also ask breeder what kind of litter he is used to), cat carrier that is big enough for him when fully grown (see size of parents), at least 1 weeks food supply. A few fluffy mice toys are handy.
Whether you need a kitty cage depends on your house to some extent. I never used one, but you will need a room in which he can be confined initially.