just got cat

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
shelliemarie
New Cat Chatter

just got cat

Post by shelliemarie »

how long would you recommend to let a cat out after youve only had him home for a day please.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Re: just got cat

Post by bobbys girl »

I wouldn't let him out at all for a few days. When he is used to a routine you could let him outfor a little while, just before a meal then he is more likely to come in when called.

BTW I hope you and your new cat have a long and happy life together. Tell us more about him.
alanc
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by alanc »

I wouldn't let him out for at least a fortnight, then as Bobby says for a short time before dinner.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

If the cat needs to get used to you as well as new surroundings, I would recommend keeping them in for at least 4 weeks, and only then if you think there is enough of a bond for them to come back - some nervous cats will need longer. In the meantime, get them used to coming to you either by calling their name, or by shaking some treats.
alanc
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by alanc »

In case you haven't seen it, good advice about taking on a new cat to be found here: http://www.catchat.org/index.php/new-cat-in-the-home
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

I have let them out sooner if they're a particularly settled sort of cat, but I usually keep them in for at least 3-4 weeks. You need to make sure that the cat views your house as a place of safety to run back to if they get scared, and that takes time.

As has been said, the first time do it just before dinner time, let him out for a few minutes and then call him straight back in for his food. That way you are making sure they know the way back home. Good luck.
shelliemarie
New Cat Chatter

Post by shelliemarie »

how many times a day should you feed a 4-5 year old cat plz
shelliemarie
New Cat Chatter

Post by shelliemarie »

bobbys girl wrote:I wouldn't let him out at all for a few days. When he is used to a routine you could let him outfor a little while, just before a meal then he is more likely to come in when called.

BTW I hope you and your new cat have a long and happy life together. Tell us more about him.
hes doing well very quiet and sleeping what would you recommend on how many times to feed him aged 4-5 years
alanc
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by alanc »

My adult cats have usually had one main meal in the evening, with a light breakfast (handful of kibble). Its what they have all seemed to prefer, as they could have had more at breakfast time if they had wanted it.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Some people leave dry food down all the time and then feed one or two meals a day of wet food. Mine would be enormous if I did that, most are ex-strays and tend to gorge, so I feed twice a day.
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Janey »

Crewella wrote:Some people leave dry food down all the time and then feed one or two meals a day of wet food. Mine would be enormous if I did that, most are ex-strays and tend to gorge, so I feed twice a day.
Yep I am one of them lol. I’ve always left a bowl of dry food and as I’m in most of the time I just feed wet whenever they want it. This is usually two or three times a day some days or 1 or 2 others (and I share the food with the ferals). Because they snack they are eating little and often and I’ve never had a fat cat yet, and I have always done the same with outside ferals. Although Frosty feral tends to want food every time he sees me in the winter! and he’s a big cat but not fat, and now he’s getting older and it’s summer he’s only bothering to come asking for food twice a day despite being in the garden most of the time.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

They all get breakfast when I get mine. Then they all get tea, but the time varies. I do feed three if they come looking for it (just a few biscuits or a spoonful of Sheba or similar). But I really have to watch Grace. She is a pig and will eat 'til she explodes. :?
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

dry in the morning and wet in the evening makes particular sense during the summer, as drying out and flies can be a problem if wet food is left out for any length of time
alanc
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by alanc »

Leaving food out here during the day is not an option, as next doors greedy guts would come in and scoff the lot. They are fat enough already!
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Janey »

Kay wrote:dry in the morning and wet in the evening makes particular sense during the summer, as drying out and flies can be a problem if wet food is left out for any length of time
It could if left to go dry and flies to get in but I am very careful :)
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Kay wrote:dry in the morning and wet in the evening makes particular sense during the summer, as drying out and flies can be a problem if wet food is left out for any length of time
That does make good sense. Mine eat a lot less in the summer as well, so there often are leftovers. I do pick up any uneaten food straightaway (to stop the gutbuckets Daz and Paddy eating it) and keep it covered until they come asking for it. They always know when they have food left in their bowl and come in to hang about the cupboard, yelling. Always. :D