Looking to do some DIY cat fences for friends/family, any ideas on costs?

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
socalfusions
New Cat Chatter

Looking to do some DIY cat fences for friends/family, any ideas on costs?

Post by socalfusions »

After installing the branded Catfencein fence at my parents home I received requests from some friends and close family to do a DIY fence so that their cats can enjoy the same benefits but at a much lower cost. I have an idea to use flag pole brackets and wooden dowels with the mesh netting to mimic the more expensive style cat fences as I've read people using these components to create a functionally similar setup.

My friends and family insist on paying for the service and I obliged as I am tight on funds and simply couldn't afford to purchase all the components without reimbursement. They said they would pay for the cost of the materials and also labor but I have no idea what I'd charge for labor. Of course I'd keep it reasonable since I know them which got me thinking; what if I offered this same service to other people who want a cat fence but aren't willing to pay upwards of $1,000 for a fence system which doesn't even include installation?

Any ideas on what one would charge for labor? What would you personally pay to have someone install a DIY style cat fence in your yard? Would you be comfortable having a DIY cat fence over a name brand one if it was functionally similar though with cheaper materials?
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Re: Looking to do some DIY cat fences for friends/family, any ideas on costs?

Post by Crewella »

Hi, just to say that this is a UK based forum, so prices and availability might be very different. Also, fencing in for cats is much less common here - I have no experience. Good luck! :)