cat fowling

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
grace2012

cat fowling

Post by grace2012 »

how do I keep cats from fowling my garden. I don't own a cat and think if people do own cats then they should keep them in and only take them out in their own garden on a lead. if you want a cat then keep it to your own home and not other peoples problem, if this was a dog the owner would be fined for allowing their pet to mess a public place. I have a 4 year old daughter who plays in the garden, and this makes it very dangerous. I have artificial grass but the cats have even made a mess on there as well as the flower beds. I have tried several methods, sprays , dummy cats, plants ect but none work! cats are dirty animals and should not be kept as pets if you intend to leave them out on their own!
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: cat fowling

Post by Lilith »

Hi there Grace and welcome :)

Much as I adore cats, I quite agree with many of your points. My own cats are kept in their own garden which is secured against escape, and even when they did roam, they had trays, which they used. I would much rather clean trays/have my cats under my eye, for their own safety (this is a very built-up inner-city area) and also I don't expect neighbours to have to deal with my cats' muck. I think you'll find many cat owners are of the same mind, but as for some others - ye gods! Yes, I know all about piles of you know what all over the astroturf. Not pleasant at all!

At the moment the route to my garden shed is barred by an obstacle course of wire shelves and other sundry objects, spread over the ground to deter one miscreant from leaving me a pile every night. I do have a cat deterrent -

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Defenders-STV6 ... +deterrent

And have had a good deal of success with this with previous fouling (it's easily switched off when my own cats go out.) But the mystery cr*pper seems to be impervious this time round. Or else it needs renewing. You do have to position it so as to give the sensor clear access to the area; it won't work through thick foliage.

The thing to do is to get the cat out of the habit of using that particular spot; last time the offenders just stopped coming into the garden, which was fine by me and my cats, especially as I didn't have to worry about leaving the visitors a means of escape. I like other people's cats and to meet them, but I don't like what they leave behind! Once they get into other routines, they cross the garden off their visiting list and all is well - till the next time. I confess I rather brought it on myself this time by feeding a possible stray - he moved on and the others moved in...So don't, if you feed birds, hedgehogs etc, leave food out overnight.

I agree it's unfair, both time and moneywise, for you to have to mess about like this, but this is what's worked for me and I do hope you manage to solve this problem.

Right, just off to see if the mesh shelves and megasonic gismo have deterred my particular pest. Good luck with yours!