A Street cat named Bob

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
vic23
VIP Cat Chatter!

A Street cat named Bob

Post by vic23 »

Hi All,
I have been supported fantastically by those on the Health forum over the last few months and I wanted to share my thoughts on the book/film Street Cat Bob and see what everyone else thinks of them.

I read the book a couple of weeks ago and I was blown away by the effect it had on me. It is truly an amazing story of a cat helping to turn a guy's life around and I just couldn't believe how Bob seemed to be sent to James for a reason. It also makes you realise the total injustice of homelessness. James talks a lot in the book about feeling invisible prior to having Bob and it reminded me of all the times I dodged the Big Issue sellers in the street. However, today I have brought my second ever Big Issue...I even aimed to search the seller out. This is the second of many and I will aim to buy one every time I see a seller now. This book has truly changed my perspective and I have shed many tears over James and Bob's story and all those in a similar situation.

We say we are a missed pay packet away from being in the same boat. Makes you think.

If you haven't read the book, I highly recommend it. The film is great too, although is somewhat different to the book.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: A Street cat named Bob

Post by Lilith »

NO NO NO!

I won't!

I'd only to google 'Street Cat Named Bob' and see the images and I filled up with tears because I'm a disgusting WUSS! Tsunami! Kleenex! :evil: :roll:

There was also a (hopefully hysterical) news item about a spate of thefts of ginger cats, because it's claimed Bob has made gingers fashionable :evil:

Having two gingers and mourning a third who died 3 years ago, it's very dangerous for me to think about gingers. Two of mine were street gingers and the youngest was destined to become one I think. Still remember the heatwave with 3 gingers couchant on the astroturf, like a miniature Longleat it was.

Love love love gingers but daren't read or see anything about Bob! Bless him and all gingers though, well, all street cats, well, all cats! :D

They give us so much!

Oh and - edit - a special thought for street people especially this winter. There but for the grace of ... :(
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

A couple of the Car Park Cats are gingers. TC is the daddy and the other is either Bob (another one) or Wills (short for Wilson) They were twins - hard to tell apart and since one disappeared last year I'm not sure who's left. :cry: But he is a lovely little chap and given half a chance I'd take him home.

There was a big building boom here a few years back, before the crash. I always thought it a terrible irony and a waste that we have literally hundreds of empty houses while in other parts of the country people sleep on the streets. We have a broken society :(

Same as you Lilith I won't be going to see the film - but I might see it when it filters down to the telly. OH has read the book though.
nanny pamy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by nanny pamy »

Yes I've read the book. Fantastic. I think I actually posted on here a while back about it. I also always give to the Big issue sellers. They sell that magazine to try to help themselves out of awful situations. They are mostly lovely people, one from around here was a university student from a lovely home but he experimented with drugs and ended up a heroin addict. By the time he got himself clean his parents had died and he was left homeless. It can happen to any of us. My heart goes out to them especially in the winter when they stand there in all weather all day and people walk by like they're invisible..
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

Big fan of both - here are the lovely James and the even lovelier Bob on This Morning:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ba1PEHRAZo
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Lol I'm not watching! :evil: :lol:

Thinking about 'Bob' has reminded me of another book, written at least 50 years ago (you have to make allowances for a certain 'stiff upper lip' attitude and nursing/care methods that wouldn't happen nowadays) called 'Uncle Whiskers' by Philip Brown.

Uncle Whiskers was a cat badly hurt in a traffic accident that left him with only one deformed front leg. Luckily his owner managed to give him a home where it was safe for a disabled cat to roam - and he hunted! He hopped on his hind legs like a kangaroo! And he dragged his prey home :o

Needless to say, another ginger...these gingers! :o :D

I only read it if I'm feeling strong but it's a good read and still available on Amazon but try to get the illustrated version. Recommended.

Thanks by the way for mentioning 'Bob', Vic...but I am, I'm a WUSS... where's the kleenex...:D
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

I'll read it, Lilith .... but only if you watch Bob!! :P :twisted:
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Lol - no! :lol:

Got to go and feed a pack of very cross gingers and a black tux, late with their tea, well, that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it :D
Galyna Chekan
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Galyna Chekan »

It is an unbelievable story about two friends that become one family)))
I am thrilled with the book and with the cat BOB) and I wish everyone to get such a tough red friend ))
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by Mayday21 »

Hi I was given a $50 book voucher as Chrissie gift from the vet clinic where I volunteer & after watching the YouTube posted know this will be one book bought. We have a fellow who sells "The Big Issue" where I work. He's had a tough childhood & while I buy one now & then I'll try to buy a little more often. Thanks for posting and Lilith I always cry watching "Lassie Come Home" when she swims that river. Mum used to say "You know she makes it..." And then there's "Born Free", "Big Red", "Black Beauty", "Old Yella", "Red Dog" and "War Horse". Showing my age with some of these titles :lol: Vivian
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Lol Vivian, know just what you mean - I remember being taken to see 'Born Free' and grabbing the tissues the moment the film started!

Books are a bit better, but not much - sorry, it's very hypocritical of me to recommend 'Uncle Whiskers' when I won't read 'Bob' (sorry Vic) but anything on film and I'm awash - what a wuss! :o :D