Dry food

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
Jacesmom
New Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 1

Dry food

Post by Jacesmom »

Apparently dry food is bad for cats :o
So I was doing some research on my cats food and apparently dry food is bad for them.
So what wet food is the best ?? my cat has gone off his food...sometimes he will eat sometimes he won't.
He prefers dry food but after reading someone saying it was actually bad for cats I don't know.
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: Dry food

Post by Janey »

I personally feed a mixture of wet and dry, and what my cats prefer. We’ve had cats for over 25 years and it’s never been a problem, in fact my vet suggested a bit more dry for my cat’s teeth. I also look after ferals, and have done for many years, and they eat just the same as our own cats have, and some of those are 17 now and seem very healthy. Some of the ferals actually prefer dry and eat more than wet, others prefer wet. I also think, just as with us, there’s no point giving them what they don’t like or they will be miserable, and that won’t be healthy for them either. I do try and give them a good variety of foods, cheaper ones and dearer ones, so they don’t get bored, and so they get a wide variety of nutrients and so they are happy :) If you’re concerned about giving your cat a lot of dry you could try a better type of dry than some of the cheaper ones, that’s what I do. My current cat came from a home where practically all she was given was Go-Cat, she loves wet food but still likes Go-Cat, so although it’s a cheaper dry I do let her have some, and I got her some crunchies, which supposedly helps clear the tartar a bit too :) I know if I didn’t feed my ferals any dry they’d just nip to one of the other local restaurants :lol:
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

I think it's safe to say that the many varieties of dry cat food sold by reputable firms such as Royal Canin and Hills would not be still on the market after many years if dry is bad for cats

personally I think it's important to feed some dry to all cats, as if they at some future time need a prescription food, it is much more likely you will find something suitable in dry format, and most cats prefer the dry formulas to wet ones - and it's cheaper

I feed two domesticated cats and two outdoor strays, and all four eat wet and dry with the same enjoyment, though they are all fussier about the wet than the dry
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

I think it depends on the dry food. Mine get (mainly) Felix AGAIL pouches and James Wellbeloved dry food. I have tried them with other brands but they all come back to JWB. There are always at least two bowls of fresh (filtered) water. They are not struck on our tap water - then neither am I.
Jacesmom
New Cat Chatter

Post by Jacesmom »

I've tried him on Royal cainin , felix ,go cat,whiskers and some expensive tins of food he also eats tuna salmon and chicken but even then he's not keen on.
I'm running out of options. I know cats are funny with food but he just eats little bits....maybe I feed him to much.
Apparently the vets say to give cats dry food as they know nothing about nutrition.
I've had cats nearly all my life and I've never heard of dry food being bad for cats up until now.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

Vets are like doctors in that respect then - they too know bxxxxr all about nutrition!

I used to feed my lot Whiska's dry and Go Cat until I found Cat Chat. Yes it was cheap but it is full of cereal. With the sxxt that is sprayed on cereal these days I'm very choosy about the cereal I do eat, so I'm not about to feed it to my cats - who can't digest it properly anyway.

Mine are not struck on Royal Cannin either and they hate any sort of wet food with tuna or salmon. But the fussy little beggers will go out of their way to lick out a tin our tuna. :roll:

Have you tried Applaws wet food? It's pricey but I give it to mine as a treat every now and again and they like the bowl clean. They also do Applaws as a dry food.
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by MarkB »

I also feed a mix of wet and dry. I avoid things like Whiskas Dry/GoCat and supermarket own brand basic dry food as they are full of cereals, with very low meat content. I have also tried various foods with a very high meat content, but with little success - they seem to prefer the mid-range stuff. The dry food that goes down best here with all the cats is Purina One sensitive. Instead of wheat (as the other varieties contain), it contains rice, which has to be better for them anyway. I usually stock up from Zooplus or when it is on offer in supermarkets - Tesco have the 3kg bags on offer for £10 at the moment (normally £14.50)