Advice - Cattery lost my boy

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
Falcon
New Cat Chatter

Advice - Cattery lost my boy

Post by Falcon »

Hi all,

I am new to this site so please accept my apologies if my post is outside of your normal practice - I don't have time to read the conditions and am desperate for some advice.

I am currently working away (due to return 20th June) and my babies had to go to a cattery as my parents too were going away and couldn't watch them for 2 weeks (due back tomorrow)

So, my parents took my 2 babies to the cattery to settle them in 10+ days ago and left to go on holiday. Within the hour my mum received a call from said cattery to advise her that my boy had escaped out of the roof of his pen and ran off (the roof has since been repaired). It has devastated my parents and they are feeling horrendous guilt - because had they not have been going on holiday the babies would have been still at home - and myself of course feeling awful because I have been sent away for work having to leave them. The owner of the cattery however how little to no remorse whatsoever, haven't even had so much as an apology.

During the time my parents have been away I have had various friends go around the ground calling him, leaving food out etc. We were able to borrow a trap from the local cats protection and have set this up - but he is still yet to make an appearance. His photo has too been posted to the local lost pets / cat groups on Facebook.

My parents are due to collect the remaining cat tomorrow and the owner will require payment. So my first enquiry is do I have any grounds in which I can refuse payment because they have been negligent?

And my second enquiry is - as pathetic as this sounds because it is only a cat - but he is still my family and his sister is lost without him - am I eligible to take the owner to a small claims court for negligence? I trusted them to take care of them and that hasn't happened.

I hope I am not speaking out of term, but the worry and stress is really getting to me now.

I look forward to and thank you in advance for some advise / direction.
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: Advice - Cattery lost my boy

Post by Ruth B »

I'm afraid I can't offer any legal advice, but I think the cattery would be heartless to be asking for payment having let one of your cats escape. You might want to contact the council, all catteries in the UK (I am assuming you are in the UK) have to be licenced to ensure the health and safety of the cats, letting a cat escape in my mind definitely questions the 'safety' aspect and from what you say of their response I would question if they are the right people to be running a cattery.

Apart from that all i can give is basic advice, if he is microchipped then let the company know he is missing and make sure the contact details are up to date. Try and get as many posters up as possible around your home, around the cattery area and in between in case he tries to make his way home. I would also suggest notifying as many rescues and vets as possible in the areas as well.

I really hope he is found. Please don't feel guilty about it, you did the best thing for him trying to make sure he was well cared for while you were away, the only person that should be feeling guilty is the cattery owner. I also don't care what anyone says, they are not just 'a cat' they are a part of the family and you have every right to be distraught and stressed over it going missing, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.
Marla
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by Marla »

I'm so sorry to hear this happened. :( I'm disgusted that the owner of the cattery hasn't apologised!

Please could you post a link to your Facebook post about him? Those of us on Facebook could share it.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Lilith »

Hi there and welcome. :)

No cat is 'only' a cat, and this is shocking. He didn't get any boarding did he? Why on earth should you have to pay for it? Even if she'd been in the least bit apologetic or supportive (which she hasn't) you don't have to pay her for something you and your cat never received.

Any bother and I'd go straight to the CAB, always a good starting point legally. And I do hope you find your poor boy - might also be an idea to post on 'lost cats' here and put specific area ... me I'd want to put the name of the damn cattery! Sharks! :evil:

Please keep in touch and let us know if you find him, all the very very best!
MarySkater
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by MarySkater »

I think the payment issue is for the other cat which is to be collected, but I agree that the cattery deserves nothing. Certainly, post the full story with details of the cattery - make sure you are completely accurate in what you say. If you can post on here again with your location (not full address, just the area), the cattery location, and a description of your cat (photo if possible) then people here will be more than happy to look out for him.
Judy Barnett
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Judy Barnett »

I'm so sorry about this happening to you, you must be worried sick. Unfortunately its not easy finding the perfect cattery until you've tried it once or twice, no matter what it looks like. I definitely wouldn't pay for the lost cat if they have the gall to try and charge you. If they do, I'd threaten them with a statement in the local paper. You can just see the headline. ,HEARTLESS CATTERY CHARGES BOARD FOR LOST PET. That would shut them up. I do hope you find your baby, and don't feel daft about loving them so much, they're part of your family. Good luck x.
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by Mayday21 »

Hi Falcon I'm praying from way over here ... I really hope he's found & agree with all the posts re: the cattery & Lilith's right they're not "just cats". Vivian
Judy Barnett
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Judy Barnett »

Just dropped Georgia off at the cattery this afternoon. She leapt straight out of my arms into her pen like I was Nelly Nobody, gave me the briefest of glances back and started to wash herself. That's put me in my place. :roll:
mr_frisky
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by mr_frisky »

How dreadful for this to happen when you are away from home.

How far is the cattery from your home?

My mother used to run a cattery and once one of the cats did exactly the same thing. Fortunately they lived nearby and he didn't go far, and we managed to nab him, but obviously didn't ask for any payment.

I suggest you are doing the right thing in getting friends to look for him. My neighbours cat went missing last year and she was eventually found 2 weeks later a few roads down.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Hey Falcon, how did your parents go on with the cattery, and have you had any luck with finding your boy?

All paws crossed here!
Falcon
New Cat Chatter

Post by Falcon »

Hello all,
Thank you for your comments and concerns.

There has been a complete U Turn and a cat matching mine has finally been spotted a few villages away from the cattery. He is being fed by a Vet (luckily) but he won't go near the cat trap and she has been unable to catch him so far - he is very nervous - I have left some items of clothing near to where she leaves food for him, hopefully this will make him feel at ease.

The lady who is feeding him has said he is in poor shape with having potentially lost his sight in one eye - his eye is very cloudy. In addition he will have the usual medical issues with having been outside for an extended period - fleas/ticks/worms.

Not the downside is I cancelled his insurance as I wasn't expecting to see him again - I am now going to be left with some substantial medical bills - potentially regular medical bills depending on how his health has suffered. Would I be within my rights to forward such medical bills to the cattery to settle? as he wouldnt have had these medical problems had he have escaped from his pen/unit?

Thank you for any advice given.
Red wine lady
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Red wine lady »

In a word YES!!!! This is their fault, they must have liability insurance. This is not your fault, you must be devastated. Sadly this is the 2nd cat that I now know has been 'lost' from a cattery. Scary.

Let us know x
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Ruth B »

I do believe that the cattery or their insurers should pay for at least the initial medical treatment, whether they would pay for long term treatment might be more of an issue. The problem you might have is if the insurance company decide to fight the case and it goes to court, you could end up paying more in court costs than in vets bills. The best you might get is an out of court one off settlement. Remember to stress about how much his loss has affected you and everything you have gone through over the last few months. You really need to lay it on thick to make an insurance company listen.

I really hope it is your boy and you get him home soon, and that there is no lasting harm done to him.
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by Mayday21 »

Hi Falcon really praying it's your boy! Have you thought of contacting your insurance co with a letter from the vet asking to reinstate your policy & paying any arrears in instalments. They may be able to take up the fight with the cattery which will take some of the stress away from you while you spend time with your boy getting him well. Keep,us posted ... +Ve vibes being sent - it'll be a Godsend if he's your boy. Vivian
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Paws crossed that it's your lad and that he accepts help soon!

Also all the best with that insurance snarl-up; I think I recommended the CAB re the cattery - I'm sure they could help you with this too. Good luck with everything.