Book on Little Paws Kitten Rescue

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Book on Little Paws Kitten Rescue

Post by Mayday21 »

Hi Folks Deb, president of Little Paws Kitten Rescue, wants to put a book together about LPKR profiling many of their fur babes who've come to them. I've put together a draft book proposal & a Facebook friend who's a reknowed international children's book author is providing guidance. She's also a cat lover & has offered to contribute poems to the book. She's looked at the proposal & provided some hints on researching like genre/competitors (internet/library/book agents/networks). We've thought of "Dewey's 9 Lives", "Dewey" & of course "A Street Cat Named Bob" but I'm wondering if anyone knows of any other publications. I have Doris Lessing's "The old age of el magnifico". Vivian
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Book on Little Paws Kitten Rescue

Post by Lilith »

Hi, were you thinking of books specifically about rescued cats or more general books with the idea of gaining tips as to style/length etc?

If the latter, you've got quite a reading list, and a very absorbing one too :)

Just off the top of my head I can recommend:-

'Uncle Whiskers' by Philip Brown, written in the 1950s I think, about a cat severely disabled in a RTA who nevertheless 'stood on his own two feet' - his forepaws were useless but he'd go hunting, leaping on his back legs like a kangaroo.

Any of Doreen Tovey's Siamese series - 'Cats in May', 'Cats in the Belfry' etc.

'Cat in the Window', 'Somewhere a cat is waiting' and 'Lama' by Derek Tangye.

If I remember any more I'll add to the list. Doris Lessing wrote another cat book, 'On Cats', but one episode describes a cat shoot on the farm where she grew up in less enlightened times :(

'The Silent Miaow' by Paul Gallico, whose cat learned to use the typewriter and write about 'kottebs' :shock: :lol:

Other people will have favourites too.

And if you're anything like me, do make sure you've got a stash of paper hankies in ... I'm usually awash after the first couple of pages!

Good luck with the project - it sounds great and you've picked a popular genre, once you get a publisher interested it should sell :D
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

One of my local rescues produced this

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01G2NA95O/ ... TF8&btkr=1
alanc
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by alanc »

How about Dennis O'Connors Paw Tracks in the Moonlight and Paw Tracks to Owl Cottage. Ones for the hankies especially if you own a Maine Coon.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

I've just ordered 'Little Jack' - and you're responsible for the tsunami, Booktigger! :o :shock:

Also this title came up -

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Old-Mad-Wobbly ... GS4JWHVVJA

There's a preview too, and this is also about rescue work and seems well-written.

I daren't order those other titles, Alan - they'd have to pump the house out lol!
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mayday21 »

Hi Folks thanks for your replies. Lilith the book's on rescue cats. I visited the library yesterday & found "The Ugliest Cat in the Shelter" & "Your cat Did What?" Trinity was the 1st feral caught with her litter & the tom. Caught in Trinity Lane in East Brisbane. The title "Trinity's Ladder" based on Jacob's Ladder - faith, hope & charity. Deb had the faith, hope & LPKR is a charity. Catching up with her today. Kittens to be taken for speying. She picked up a kitty with rickets from a vet a couple of weeks ago! She was kneading when Deb saw her so she called her Muffin. She has a bit of ragdoll in her. Can't thank you all enough. Any advice accepted with open arms. Vivian
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

While not strictly speaking based on a rescue, it is written by an author who has volunteered at a rescue (I have chatted to her via e-mail after reading her first book) - I have only read 2 of hers, but both enjoyable

https://www.amazon.co.uk/BUSTERS-LAW-An ... usters+law
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Ah. It's been so long since I read the Derek Tangye books that I'd forgotten that 'A cat in the window' and 'Lama' form part of 'Somewhere a cat is waiting'. Sorry.

Do DO buy 'The old, the mad and the wobbly'. I've only had chance to glance through it so far but it looks like a book especially written for the likes of us, who put up with eccentric cats and are somewhat eccentric ourselves (probably as a result!) The writer put in 30 years CP work so she has to know what she's talking about. She makes you laugh, too - I noticed an anecdote about being told by his owner about how much Gnasher loved to be brushed, so much so that the author spent hours in A&E after the first attempt... ring any bells?
Last edited by Lilith on Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Oops, bit of explaining here to do.

I'm re-reading 'A cat in the window' and had forgotten the 'manly cat-hater' attitude that Derek Tangye cultivated (it didn't last long.) And what will be nowadays shocking details:- Monty the ginger cat arrived as a 6 week old kitten in the office of DT's wife Jeannie in the Savoy Hotel. Her secretary played with him, using a typewriter ribbon - the chemicals! :shock: The chef cooked him a sole bonne femme to take home ... this was in WW2 and obviously a compliment to any cat, but - cooked in white wine, shallots, mushrooms - especially when the poor little devil was only 6 weeks??? :shock: :shock: :shock:

Then when he got older, the idea of starving him to make him catch a mouse? :( :evil:

It seems he survived all this and in fact settled very happily with them, and I suppose we have to make allowances for the outlook and period, and it's still an interesting book, but ...

I've finished the Heather Cook and have ordered 2 more titles- 'Paws for Thought' about a cat who was born with no hind paws came today, and I've read it already; hilarious but HC has got more stamina that I have; her house is filled with disabled, elderly and crazy cats! I think her books are an ideal model for any book on cat rescue - realistic without wallowing, witty and entertaining :)
Last edited by Lilith on Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JenSTL
New Cat Chatter

Post by JenSTL »

It's a great idea - have you considered a kickstarter to help fund the project? Just curious if there's a link to donate to to help...
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mayday21 »

Hi Jen we're based in Australia & no there's no kickstart fund for the book just volunteer hours to pull it together. Alas I've only got to the draft book proposal. Deb & I need to sit down with her archive stories & pics. We had lunch with one of the vet nursers where we used to go to. She & the vet retired a couple of years ago but Annette's offered to provide some anecdotes of cats they operated or cared for & is also going to speak to Dr Wilson if he'd contribute. He really looked after Little Paws re: vet bills. I met Deb through the clinic in 2004. Little Paws Kitten Rescue has a FB page if you'd like to visit. Vivian