Unscented puppy pads

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Unscented puppy pads

Post by Lilith »

I've been looking for these for a long time -

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00 ... UTF8&psc=1

Though the babytalk name is kind of embarrassing, I think they could come in handy.

I got the idea because of my royal python, Shahi. I started keeping snakes on a substrate of shredded wood (NOT pine shavings as coniferous wood is toxic to snakes) but this isn't very absorbent and before long it stinks no matter how particular you are. Not very nice for the snake. Royal pythons don't go very often but when they do - Niagara! :o Though it doesn't look as good I switched to newspaper - but what about the ink? A disposable absorbent mat would have been great - but puppy pads are almost always 'fragranced' or contain an 'attractant' and anything like this can be repellent or even toxic to a snake. So I was very pleased to find these.

Then I realised there are other uses, as cats too often dislike anything scented. A reviewer mentioned that they use one of these pads as a mat under the tray of an errm untidy cat.

Someone else used them for an incontinent cat's favourite spot (wish I'd found them when I had my incontinent old tomcat!)

Today my Mouse went off to the vet with a folded pad in her carrier in case of accidents. A spare is easy to carry.

I'm going to use one under the feeding/water bowls. Newspaper always gets scratched up into shreds and those plastic mats are awkward to wash and dry - and never big enough.

They really don't smell of anything, and claim to draw moisture below the surface, leaving it comparatively dry.

The cost isn't too terrible either (no I don't have shares in the company) :lol:
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: Unscented puppy pads

Post by booktigger »

I've never noticed a smell to puppy pads, I use them under Lucy's tray
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

you have given me a brainwave Lilith - one of my outdoor cats sleeps in a Mr Snugs, but only if it faces the gate I exit the enclosed garden from, and when the rain comes from that direction some inevitably blows into the kennel, and the bedding gets wet - and then he can't use it

so one of these pads on top of his self-heating pad might draw the moisture down and leave him sleeping in the dry
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

Kay wrote:you have given me a brainwave Lilith - one of my outdoor cats sleeps in a Mr Snugs, but only if it faces the gate I exit the enclosed garden from, and when the rain comes from that direction some inevitably blows into the kennel, and the bedding gets wet - and then he can't use it

so one of these pads on top of his self-heating pad might draw the moisture down and leave him sleeping in the dry
It's worth a go, wonder if he would appreciate sleeping on one though
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Yeah they are very thin, with a waterproof lining underneath, and a layer of gel that soaks up the moisture - but might still be useful to protect his blanket in the rain. I haven't seen a wetted one yet so don't know for sure what they look and feel like.

I had to buy the unscented ones because of Shahi, and also because my youngest cat detests anything scented - even if I can't smell it. However I'm trying a bit of psychology here - after she tried to ruin a new rug because she didn't like some new (unscented) litter, I've bought some cat disinfectant designed for freshening litter trays. NOT to be used anywhere near the trays, however - only on the rug, in the hope that she will find that too disgusting, should she ever be tempted again ... :)
vanilla
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by vanilla »

You could try these Lilith:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Huggies-DryNit ... Mats+Total

I think they will be slightly cheaper :D
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Hey thanks, Vanilla - they are cheaper, and a bit larger too, unfortunately they have an adhesive backing and you can't use adhesives near snakes. Always a chance they'll investigate and get underneath and ... it does come off with olive oil, I'm told, but nothing worse than a sticky snake ... :shock:

Shahi python put his new bedding to the test at 5am today as he shed his skin, which with royal pythons means they relieve themselves afterwards (most unfair if you're planning to keep the shed skin.) Lavishly. Trouble was, he did it right in a corner and the tidal wave overflowed underneath the pad and ... I did manage to take the pad up with the solids contained but everywhere was still awash with snake wee so the 'trial' was inconclusive.

Honestly, snakes are worse than babies! :x :lol: