Stray pregnant cat adopted us!

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
MarySkater
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Re: Stray pregnant cat adopted us!

Post by MarySkater »

I should add, because I'd expressed concern, Ceedge sent me a PM which added that the black kitten has already been promised to a good friend of theirs, so they will be able to keep in touch.
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by Mayday21 »

Hi Ceedge & Mrs Skater for update. Poor little Catnip (cute name). Has Dany been speyed? She'll be back in season before you know it! And how's the interaction with the dogs going? Hope you're able to post more pics of the little family. Vivian
Ceedge
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Ceedge »

Hello all!

I have bookmarked the site so HOPEFULLY I wont space case again. My laptop crashed and it was a whole ordeal. I work from home so I need that!

Danny has not been spayed yet as the babies are only three weeks old, but she has an appt for a little under five weeks from now. The kittens will be just under 8 weeks so they should be good. As of this morning it seems like she has already gone back into heat. She was making quite the racket this morning when we woke up!

We did mourn little Nip and she will not be forgotten.. but as strange as this sounds I am actually glad I was able to be there for her for the short life she had and she was not an unknown kitten, she was loved, she had a name and she had a home. Although it was sad, I think it made me feel better knowing that Draco and likely the other two will have amazing lives in beautiful homes and they will be spoiled rotten in no time at all.

Dany and the pups will not be meeting until after the kittens have been rehomed. My boy is just too big and excitable and although I don't think he would hurt them on purpose it most certainly would happen by accident. They have been mostly disinterested in the office as they have never been allowed in there (He is also too enthusiastic to trust around my computers). This morning Zoe was sniffing around the door, likely because of the noise and I could hear Dany hissing on the other side.. I have never heard that from her before! I put the dogs outside before I open the door and we have instituted a two door policy for her while she is moaning and groaning, to make sure she doesn't get out.

In other news, there is a little black cat out there that we conformed belongs to the neighbors. He is intact so I asked if I could pay to have him fixed and keep him for a day or two after.. Well... After telling me it was a waste of money and blah blah blah the (Insert Nasty Name Here) told me I could do whatever I wanted with him, so I am going to get him fixed. I suspect he is daddy as he looks like a bigger version of Draco. He is super sweet (Just like her) and I wish I could bring him inside... but he already sprays and the GF has put a firm foot down on my cat antics for the moment. (I'll work on her when the babies have new homes)
IMG_3153.JPG
IMG_3153.JPG (40.77 KiB) Viewed 2549 times
IMG_3152.JPG
IMG_3152.JPG (37.96 KiB) Viewed 2549 times
Who could say no to this sweet face?
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Ruth B »

Good on you for stepping in and making sure the male gets neutered as well. There is a good chance that once he has been neutered his desire to spray will be limited, he might well still do it outside but most don't bother to do in in their den area (your house) unless they feel threatened.

I would see if your vet could spay Dany earlier, as far as I understand it kittens normally seem to go onto solid food at between 4 and 5 weeks old and that is normally when the mother comes into heat again, you don't want to miss the opportunity and end up with another litter. If she has already started to go into heat like you suspect it is no wonder that the male cat is hanging around. If your vet can't fit her in before the booked appointment you do need to try and confine her so no male cat can get close to her.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

Lovely news, thank you for the update. What lovely kitties :) Shame about catnip, but I know what you mean - at least she was loved.

As for the boy - I can see him joining the family before long! As Ruth said, once he is neutered there will be less chance of him spraying. If Dany IS in heat again, that could explain him spraying everywhere.

BTW I have never known my boys to spray in the house. The only one who does is Purdy! She has recently switched her attentions away from the microwave to the toaster (mucky little beggar).
Ceedge
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Ceedge »

I will work on getting Jack into the house after the kittens have homes. I can understand her reluctance.. but he is just too darn sweet to fend for himself out there. It is my understanding that this will reduce his want to fight and howl at night as well, so he will be safer either way. I do what I can :ugeek:

Our family vet recommended no earlier than 8 weeks as the kittens will still be feeding from her while weaning. This will give them a chance to get fully acclimated to the real food and there will be less chance of her getting injured/infected as they try to get to the milk bar. She lives in my office so I have closed off the door to the outside for now and she has to be in her room before any outside doors are opened. I am being a pain in the rear about it so hopefully we will be safe in that regard. As a general rule I am always here. I work from home so if I am out of the house GF is as well.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Ain't that how it goes!

Been there done that, happy days :D

As a friend of mine once said, cats always KNOW ... :lol:

Congrats :D
Ceedge
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Ceedge »

New photos! The kits are doing wonderful, they are all eating watered down kitten food
IMG_3220.JPG
IMG_3220.JPG (38.98 KiB) Viewed 2406 times
and Willy has started to use the litter box. 8-)
IMG_3219.JPG
IMG_3219.JPG (38.24 KiB) Viewed 2406 times
IMG_3218.JPG
IMG_3218.JPG (36.48 KiB) Viewed 2406 times
IMG_3217.JPG
IMG_3217.JPG (44.74 KiB) Viewed 2406 times
IMG_3216.JPG
IMG_3216.JPG (54.67 KiB) Viewed 2406 times
IMG_3215.JPG
IMG_3215.JPG (33.68 KiB) Viewed 2406 times
IMG_3213.JPG
IMG_3213.JPG (45.58 KiB) Viewed 2406 times
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Aww, they're great, and doing so well, congrats! :D
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mayday21 »

Thanks for the update. At the age where they start playing ... so cute. Fusses to rpthem all incl momma cat. Vivian