Dont know wot to do re: cat in my garden??

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
Becs1000
New Cat Chatter

Dont know wot to do re: cat in my garden??

Post by Becs1000 »

Last summer the cutest black cat appeared in my garden, she would visit, lie in the sun, occasionally she would sneak in through my kitchen window. Sometimes I would find her asleep curled up on my stairs and when I would try to get her out she wud lie on her back purring in a really submissive way which is ridiculously cute. Rightly or wrongly sometimes Ive just left her there for an hour then she would wander off.

She never used to wear a collar but about a month ago she started wearing one, but it only has a bell on, no actual name or contact details.

Recently I heard a crash in my kitchen and the cat had sneaked in and when I went into look I saw the cat running away with one of my turkey burgers in her mouth.

Since Friday last week, the cat has barely left my garden, she is sitting and crying and wailing really loudly. I go ti bed, its there, I get up in a morning and she is there, I come home from work she is there.

My hubby has told me to just ignore it which I have been doing, but I literally havent seen it leave the garden to go back home to wherever it lives for food.

Is this cat just totally manipulating me by wailing and crying just so I will let her in? People keep telling me that cats are clever and will go wherever they get attention.

Should I just keep ignoring her until she goes home? There are no signs in the area for a missing cat?

I am a sucker for a sob story and this cat is majorly pulling on my heart strings, its sat staring at me now as I post this.

Is this common, and do you think this cat is playing me for an absolute fool? :roll:
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: Dont know wot to do re: cat in my garden??

Post by Ruth B »

It sounds to me like she does have a home, but for whatever reason she has decided that yours would be a better one, maybe she just has developed a taste for turkey burgers. Cats are notoriously adaptable and manipulative, my own lad tends to disappear for hours on end and I sometimes wonder just how many homes he has.

Two things I can think of that might be a help, first if you can contact a charity that has a microchip scanner, if the cat is chipped you might be able to get the details from that. I'm not quite sure how these chip companies work or if they would have to contact the owners for you. Alternatively as the cat has a collar could you fasten a message to it asking the owners to contact you as you are concerned.

I would advise trying not to let it in, though when its crying outside, particularly if the weather is bad it can be heartbreaking. Don't feed it, but a bowl of water outside wouldn't hurt and a quick fuss outside will help monitor its condition. Keep an eye on it but as long as it isn't losing condition and getting thinner and scruffier by the day then I wouldn't worry too much. It could be it lives in a busy house and sneaks back at night and during the day when everyone is out for some food, but prefers the peace and quiet of your garden.
Becs1000
New Cat Chatter

Post by Becs1000 »

Thanks for the reply. I hope you are right. If this cat is having me on, its an Oscar winning performance. Im trying to stay away from the windows and keeping everything locked.

I hope she goes home soon, I cant stand its crying, why do these little fluffy things pull on our heartstrings so much!

I keep saying to my husband "what if she has forgotton where she lives" but he is a cat expert now all of a sudden and tells me it wont have! He thinks Im too soft :-( I probably am.

Thanks again
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Kay »

for myself, I can't see the harm in offering the cheapest tinned cat food to any cat which seems hungry, as going by my two no cat which is being properly fed elsewhere will eat it