Preparing to home a cat

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
don1976
Experienced Cat Chatter

Preparing to home a cat

Post by don1976 »

We're looking to home our first cat. I say 'first', I always had cats as a child, but this is the first time we as a family will provide a home for a cat.
My daughter is 11.

For the last year or so, our 2 neighbour's cats come to our back door, and from time to time we give cat biscuits - essentially because my daughter loves cats so likes it that the cats come to the house. It's my wife which hasn't been keen on us getting a cat in the past, but she seems to be changing her mind now.

Now, the point is, if we are preparing to get our own cat, should we be knocking the biscuits on the head with the neighbours cats? I'm assuming we should be dissuading other cats coming so close for territorial reasons or am I overthinking things?

The other question I have is about rehoming adverts. When adverts make reference to suitability with 'young children', I'm assuming they're referring to kids much younger than 11 are they ?

Thanks
Steve
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: Preparing to home a cat

Post by Ruth B »

Congratulations on the decision and I hope all goes well.

My advice would be to stop feeding the neighbor's cats but a lot of cats do learn to share territory outside as long as they have their own den area, normally their own house, so even if they do turn up occasionally wanting food as long as you don't allow them in your house it shouldn't be a problem. You will need to keep your new cat in for at least 3 -4 weeks before you can let him/her out, make sure they are comfortable and confident in the home before you introduce them to the outside and other cats. I would suggest confining them to a single room for the first few days and gradually open up the house when they are confident around you.

Personally I would suggest you consider an older cat rather than a kitten as it has been so long since you had one, and even a young cat, 1 to 2 years old has plenty of play left in them. Instead of just looking at adverts have you considered considered contacting your local rescue, the people there should be able to give you good advice on which cat would suit your situation and it would give you somewhere to turn if you had any queries. They might seem to charge more in the way of an adoption fee than some of the adverts ask for, but chances are you would end up with a far healthier cat as most rescues make sure the cats are de wormed, de flead, vaccinated, spayed/neutered before being adopted so what you spend with them you save on vets bills later on.

Good luck with the new addition.
don1976
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by don1976 »

Thanks for the reply. I'm certainly a little bit rusty when it comes to cat ownership/behaviour, so I'm sure there'll be plenty more questions in the coming months/years.

The adverts I was referring to were generally the ones on this site, which do seem to be rescue adverts. I was thinking along the same lines as you, such as a young cat of 1 or 2 years - they're the ones that I've been looking at really - maybe one which is looking for rehoming after having her kittens. As much as we'd like a kitten, my wife has never owned cats (and has only just come around to the idea of us getting one), so I'd like to think a slightly older cat will be less demanding for my wife, as a complete kitty amateur, when I'm away from the house.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Lilith »

Hey and welcome :)

Sounds like you've done your homework pretty thoroughly and that your daughter is competent with cats too - hope your wife will be won over by the new arrival.

A shame that the neighbourhood cats may have to take a back seat but they do own humans of their own.

Please let us know how you go on - really great to hear of a good home going for some fortunate cat :D
don1976
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by don1976 »

My daughter has been doing her homework on cats under the radar for years - she's wanted a cat for as long as I can remember, but my wife hadn't been keen. The neighbours' cats coming to get fed has perhaps softened my wife up and she now seems to have come round to the idea.

I'm just researching the financial side of things now so we're properly prepared, things like pet insurance, boarding for holidays etc.

Lilith - Like you, we're in West Yorkshire too - we're in Halifax.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

Don, I volunteer for a charity based in Todmorden, we home in Halifax and have some lovely adults in, do feel free to contact us https://www.pennineanimalwelfaresociety ... sing-a-pet
don1976
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by don1976 »

booktigger wrote:Don, I volunteer for a charity based in Todmorden, we home in Halifax and have some lovely adults in, do feel free to contact us https://www.pennineanimalwelfaresociety ... sing-a-pet

Thanks. I'm reluctant to actually get in touch with anyone yet about the cats they've got available until we're absolutely 100%. I still need to work on my wife a little, so she could still scupper the deal. I don't want to get hopes up (particularly those of my daughter) until my wife is 100% on board with rehoming one.

I'm at the fact-gathering stage at the moment, so I can answer anything my wife has to ask.

Many Thanks
Steve
don1976
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by don1976 »

don1976 wrote:
booktigger wrote:Don, I volunteer for a charity based in Todmorden, we home in Halifax and have some lovely adults in, do feel free to contact us https://www.pennineanimalwelfaresociety ... sing-a-pet

Thanks. I'm reluctant to actually get in touch with anyone yet about the cats they've got available until we're absolutely 100%. I still need to work on my wife a little, so she could still scupper the deal. I don't want to get hopes up (particularly those of my daughter) until my wife is 100% on board with rehoming one.

I'm at the fact-gathering stage at the moment, so I can answer anything my wife has to ask.

Many Thanks
Steve
Booktigger - I've sent you a message.

Regards
Steve
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

Have replied, and think you are doing it the right way - a home visit could always be arranged to allow your wife to ask any questions
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by Mayday21 »

Hi Folks didn't Mrs Skater post some valuable advice on how to prepare what to do & have when introducing a cat into a household. From memory it was around Xmas last year. Vivian
MarySkater
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by MarySkater »

Mayday21 wrote:Hi Folks didn't Mrs Skater post some valuable advice on how to prepare what to do & have when introducing a cat into a household. From memory it was around Xmas last year. Vivian
That wasn't me, but I'm sure you can find lots of advice on this website.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Hi Steve, hope all goes well, I was about to recommend a rescue in Bradford when I had a computer crisis but that would be brilliant if you and Booktigger can organise a rehome :D All paws crossed here! :D

I'm in Wakefield, not as pretty a part of Yorks as where you are - used to do a lot of hiking round Halifax/Todmorden/Huddersfield. Happy days.

Do hope your wife comes round to the idea of a cat - if you do get one I'd be prepared to bet that she adores it, but it's a big step at first if she's not used to pets - good luck!
don1976
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by don1976 »

My wife is originally from the Philippines, albeit she's been over here 20 years now. Many cats from the Philippine provinces don't seem to be owned by anyone - there seems to be a higher proportion of strays that get fed by families, but without a proper home as such.
'Owned' cats, as such, in the Philippines aren't that common, or at least they weren't 20 years ago when she was living over there - so she's just not that used to them.

I would certainly like to be able to sort something out with Booktigger - PAWS in Todmorden seem to have a couple of cats that seem to fit the bill.

Out of interest, I googled "cats in the Philippines", and the top result was PAWS.org (Philippine Animal Welware Society). Surely this is some sort of omen that PAWS in Todmorden will ultimately be able to sort us out :-) - once my wife comes to her senses.

I have to admit I wonder what's really going through my wife's mind when we're discussing the prospect of a cat. Her question last night was "how big will it be ?" :-) Unfortunately, I had no answer, except, 'er cat-size'.

I get the impression one of her reservations is the prospect of the cat bringing in visitors - eg rolling around in the undergrowth in the garden and then maybe bringing some bugs. My mum mentioned to me that she recalls the horror on my wife's face when my mum used to have a cat and saw that when the cat jumped down off the sofa, there were a couple of little bugs left behind, as the cat had been doing something similar like rolling around in the woods at the back of their house.

I need ammo please, people. Help me bring her round to the idea :-)
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

Wow, that really is an omen! The advantage of getting an adult is that they are fully grown, so what you see is what you get. Not sure what you can do about them bringing things in on their fur though, although Minnie is more a lap cat, so probably less likely
don1976
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by don1976 »

Hi Booktigger. A lapcat type is probably what we're after. Watching the youtube video, Minnie does seem very sweet. I noticed her hooded litter tray in the video - I'm sure toilet habits are probably another of my wife's concerns. Does Minnie seem to be a clean kitty ?
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Ruth B »

I'm not sure about visitors being carried on the fur, most of my 'visitors' are deliberately brought into the house, Saturn is a real mouser but fortunately kills what he catches, I just have to dispose of the bodies, Freyja, and Tiggy in her younger days, has a thing for moths and it is surprising at how gentle they can be when they want to carry them in alive to play with them inside. Worms and frogs have also been brought in at various times by various cats. Sorry this probably isn't what your wife wants to hear.

If she really is concerned about things like that have you considered an indoor only cat. Some cats due to medical reasons or personality are better kept inside and a litter tray or two provided. An enclosed garden might be another option. A cat with less option to explore is less likely to go hunting larger prey, it won't stop things like moths and worms though.

Most cats are clean and will happily use a litter tray or the garden. Problems with unclean cats might seem a common thread, but that is mainly because it isn't what people expect from a cat and normally it is indicative of something being wrong.

It might be worth seeing if your wife would be interested in visiting a charity and seeing some of the cats available (I would advise doing while your girl is at school otherwise she could end up very disappointed). At least then she can see what she is getting size wise, see that where they are kept is clean and not covered in excrement, and have a chance to voice her concerns with the volunteers there. Letting her cuddle one and having a bundle of purring, furry, cuteness in her arms might help convince her.
don1976
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by don1976 »

Hi Ruth - All valid comments, thanks.

Re the indoor cat thing - in an ideal world yes, bus I suspect this would severely limit the type of rescue cat we could go for. I think my wife likes the idea of being able to let the cat out, but just has a fear of the creepy crawlies. I certainly would prefer to have a cat that I can let out - it just seems more natural for them to be allowed outside.

Cat proofing the garden as you say is a consideration, but to go to this extreme, I think we'd probably get the cat first and play it by ear to see if we want to enclose the garden.

I agree the next step is to get her hands on with some kittys. There's probably a little bit more convincing before we get to that point, but I'll keep working on her.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

Spoke to one of our volunteers, all the cats are clean at the moment. Indoor only would limit you, but then cats like Minnie would be fine with a quick potter, I would definitely go for a female, they don't roam as much
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

I have owned cats for decades and have never had one come in with a creepy-crawly attached

best avoid a long haired cat though as there is more potential for something undesirable to be caught up in the fur
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Yes, longhaired cats have the charming habit of strolling out in wet weather or sitting on a damp path and picking up small slugs, which are hard to groom out and are later found, dried, glued on the the cat's tail and under-carriage. Your poor wife would have a fit! :o

Also longhaired cats need more grooming and leave a bigger volume of shed hair about - and (urghh) can sometimes need a bit of help with their errm personal hygiene - if they have a loose motion it can catch on their 'trousers' and leave them with a messy backside. You don't want that sitting on the new sofa!

I've never known any of my shorthairs to bring in bugs etc on their fur either - but as Ruth says, they'll voluntarily bring in a variety of critters.

It's difficult for someone from a 'no pet'' background to adapt, but I will say that when I was married, my husband, who grew up without so much as a goldfish, became nearly as involved with our cats as I was. When one cat died in a rta, he cried. (And it wasn't anything to do with the cats as to why we parted and we're still good friends :) )
don1976
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by don1976 »

Breakthrough. Sounds like wifey is coming around to the idea. Showed her a video of the cats at PAWS in Todmorden, and her reaction was an "Aaah, OOOhhh, so are we getting one then ?"

Booktigger - My wife's interested interested in coming to have a look at the kittys - the only problem is that she's an A&E nurse and working nights for the next week. I'll drop you an email to discuss when we can come and have a look.

Fingers crossed, touch wood etc - it looks fairly promising. Thanks so much for getting in touch :D
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

Have e-mailed you
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Paws crossed for a happy outcome! :D
don1976
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by don1976 »

It's all very exciting. We told our daughter last night about our adoption plans/hopes, and you should have seen her face - utter joy, and she struggled to keep the tears back. Let's just say we have a very, very happy girl now that the cat is well and truly out of the bag.

We hope to visit the cat next week, and the home visit has been vaguely pencilled in for when Booktigger is back from holiday.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

Ooh, wasn't sure if you'd mention anything yet!
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Ruth B »

Wonderful to hear.

I hope you realise we will all be waiting to see the photos when you do get him/her home and settled.
don1976
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by don1976 »

booktigger wrote:Ooh, wasn't sure if you'd mention anything yet!
We're not very good at keeping secrets from her.
don1976
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by don1976 »

In readiness for our new adoptee kitty hopefully in a couple of weeks, we’re trying to get prepared so kitty will settle in as easily as possible.
As noted previously, for the last year, our neighbours cats have come to the door, and we’ve fed them biscuits. They also feel comfortable in our garden, sleeping on top of our shed (which is right outside of our back door) and sitting on our outside window ledge to our kitchen.

Once the decision to get a cat was made, we knocked the biscuits on the head, but they still they come looking for them – peering in the window and come to sleep on the shed, which is a suntrap in the nice weather.
It’s as if the cats just don’t seem to respect the fences separating the 2 properties ;)

How do we go about getting rid of the neighbours cats ? I’m just concerned once our little kitty arrives, she’ll feel stressed seeing another cat so close on her territory.

Is it just down to shooing them away all the time, to pave the way for our kitty ? I’ve heard of more extreme methods of water pistols (not directly at them, but near them) – is this likely what we’d need to permanently dissuade them from hanging around ?
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Ruth B »

While I agree that you shouldn't be feeding them biscuits and encouraging them into your garden I wouldn't worry too much about them being there and sunbathing etc. Cats are incredibly adaptive and while an unneutered tom might have a territory of several miles, a spayed female will often accept just a garden and be happy to share that as long as she has a den area to call her own.

I live in a very cat friendly area and frequently see other cats in the garden, the pond particularly seems to be neutral territory, as long as they don't get too close to the cat flap or get between my cat and it's flap there is rarely any problem. I have occasionally had to go out and give one of my cats back up and chase another cat off, but normally after a couple of visits they learn where they can and can't go. The fence lines are very much the roadways of choice in the cat world and again they learn to live with other cats using them.

When you do get your new arrival, hopefully it will be an adult cat that has had previous experience with other cats and well socialised with cats as well as humans, in which case she won't have any problem working out where her territory can be. If possible it would be worth keeping her in a room for the first few days where the neighbours' cats can't stare at her so she knows that that his her safe place. Once she is confident there, then let her out into the rest of the house and let her see the other cats through a window. When you do start to let her outside, make sure you are with her for the first few times and be prepared to chase the neighbor's' cats away if they seem to be upsetting her. The more she is out and about the more she will be marking the area with her scent to let the other cats know that she is there and that she considers your garden her territory.
don1976
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by don1976 »

Hi Ruth,

We'll be using one of the bedrooms as the bonding room for a few days until she's got used to the family, then we'll open up the house to her for her to roam at will - it's only a terrace so not too many rooms.

I was probably overthinking things, but I wanted to try to make her at home as much as possible as quickly as possible - and I was assuming the presence of other cats might upset her.

I'll play it by ear.