The Silent Miaow?

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

The Silent Miaow?

Post by Lilith »

The other day a friend and I were talking about purring and miaowing; her cat doesn't purr at all though he's very affectionate, but he has a loud voice.

My cats all purr, and Mouse has the loudest purr in the universe. Both she and Emily, her cousin, can yell their heads off. Molly, the youngest, is a chatty cat; she converses continually in a series of chirps and yaps, but she too has a voice like a foghorn when she wants to use it.

I once had a ginger tom, Arthur, who had a respectable purr but no voice to speak of. He was a huge burly chap with a slight frown between his eyes, but when he opened his mouth only this feeble chirrup would emerge, like a heavyweight wrestler with laryngitis.

I once had to take him to the vet, in one of those collapsible cardboard pet carriers (you know the sort, you're speeding along the M1 and out of the corner of your eye you see the cat's head and shoulders emerging from the box on the back seat. Those.)

Well, so there I was in the vet's, sitting there with this cardboard box on my lap, heaving away, and chirruping, and this woman said, 'have you got a budgie in there, love?'

Anyone else got a cat who is vocally eccentric? :)
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: The Silent Miaow?

Post by Janey »

LOL!
My cat’s like Mouse never shuts up chatting away and demanding attention! Especially when she wants to go out and then she will wail at the top of her voice :lol: and it’s one of those painful moans it goes right through you! Funnily enough when she has to go to the vets she’s a quiet as a mouse!

Our very first cat used to say a-ow, her version of hello we would say it to each other :) and the other cat we had squeaked (hence the name Squeaky!)

Oh and not forgetting our deaf cat who would do his night watch (or rather day watch) round the perimiter of the garden making the strangest howling noises ever! he could be excused though because he couldn’t hear himself bless :D oddly though he had a silent meow indoors when he passed us he would look up and open his mouth - as if to say hello but nothing came out, very cute he was.
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Ruth B »

While not particularly eccentric, when I was a child we did have a cat who couldn't purr. He adopted us when he was very ill, he was a farm cat that had been run over, and while they had given him some painkillers from the vets they hadn't had him treated. We were dropping some feed off for a horse I had on loan, my mother saw him, I told her what had happened and he 'got in the car when we weren't looking' He was rushed to our vet 'as the hot car seemed to have made him ill'. We were told that he had a ruptured diaphragm, a major chest infection and a condition that meant his pupils were permanently dilated. He wasn't expected to survive. He did, his constant coughing meant that the organs were constantly being pushed back through the the diaphragm so it could heal without being operated on. His eyes never recovered, only in the last year or two of his life did the pupils go down enough that a thin ring of green was just about visible, I still wonder with hindsight if he was partially blind. And he never purred. I have always wondered if something else was damaged that meant he couldn't. He was also primarily white and loved to sunbathe, to such an extent that my Mother had to try and buy zinc free sunscreen for him, and got some really odd looks from the chemists.

As for those cardboard carriers, we used one, once, i can't remember why but the vet gave us it and told us that it was guaranteed to last at least 30 minutes no matter how hard the cat tried to escape, 30 seconds was probably closer, but then again that was Fangs and she was a law unto herself.
alanc
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by alanc »

Like most Maine Coon's, Tilly has a quiet voice normally, she purrs and miaows gently, indeed hardly audible at times - always rather surprising for such a large cat. Then she has her special "I don't want to got to the vet/cattery" "AAARRROOOH" noise which is audible for miles! When she had to go to the hospital in Solihull to get her leg fixed, I had that for an hour and a quarter driving up the motorway. Only time I've been glad to hear it was when I went to pick her up after her bout of Pancreatitis, when she let rip on catching sight of me. Certainly proved she was in full working order again and surprised everyone at the vets!
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Aww, great stories - lol Janey, the chatty cat - especially when they come and walk up and down on you in the middle of the night, vocalising. Molly makes me feel like the Pennine Way on a hot bank holiday lol.

Glad you rescued that old chap, Ruth, poor lad, he was lucky to find you and your mother.

Lol Alan, Tilly and her AARROOOH! Living with a Maine Coon sounds an awesome business in every sense of the word.

I read somewhere that a high-pitched purr indicates a nervous cat - don't know how much truth there is in that. It would be interesting to know how many cats just don't purr though. My friend says that her previous cat was just the same.

Lol, that time at the vet's I felt like Mike Harding in his' Fourteen and a half pound budgie' sketch -I'd post a link but it's no longer available :( Some may remember it; it's the one where he buys a replacement for his girlfriend's dead budgie and gets conned into buying a turkey instead. Eventually he twigs something's not right (by now the turkey's wearing the budgie cage like a wire waistcoat) and returns it to the pet shop, but on the way there drops into the pub.

Dumped in a carrier bag under Mike's seat, the turkey gets bored and raises its head between Mike's legs to look round. Two old ladies are sitting opposite, supping stout ...

Edna! Have you seen ...!
Eh, Winnie, once you've seen one you've seen 'em all.
Nay, but this 'un's etten me crisps!
MarySkater
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by MarySkater »

Enjoyed the story, Lilith!

Neither of my cats is very vocal, which is fine with me. (I'd never have a Siamese!) Both will miaow in protest when put in a box to go to the vets - that's perfectly understandable. But I hardly ever hear a miaow at home. Ria does a little "prrrmp" call quite often. She will purr when being fussed, but very quietly. Rocky has quite a good purr when he's getting the fuss, although not as loud as a little cat I once had who sounded like a mini motor bike; if she was on my lap when I was talking on the phone, the person at the other end of the line could hear her.

I sometimes have insomnia, which can lead me to sleep late the following morning. When I eventually wake up, I will find both cats lying on my bed, patiently and silently :) waiting for me to get around to giving them breakfast.
Judy Barnett
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Judy Barnett »

The late Yowlee was very talkative hence the name. :)
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Ruth B »

I should also mention Blue on here, certainly not a silent meow.

Blue was a Ragdoll we rehomed through a charity. When we were reading up on Ragdolls after we got him we came across the section that describe how they have 'quiet, little meows' and burst out laughing. Blue's was anything but quiet and got louder and more demanding as time went on. We always laid the blame at the resident cat we had when we adopted him. Patch was a typical Torti, never afraid to voice her opinion and normally happy to let the neighbors know as well. We always reconned that she taught Blue all about how a 'real cat' should behave, including instructions in how and when to use his voice.

Fortunately we have good neighbors.