4 months in cattery vs long haul trip

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
luizarios
New Cat Chatter

4 months in cattery vs long haul trip

Post by luizarios »

I have a 6-year-old rescued cat. We have to go Brazil for about 4 months and we're trying to figure out if taking her on the long haul trip would be better for her or leaving her in the cattery would be better. Here's some background:

Flight to Brazil she can fly with us in the cabin, it's a 2-hour flight to Lisbon then an 8-hour flight to Brazil and a further 1 hour to get to the house. We have a house of our own, with aircon and everything so we can keep her indoors for a while. 4 months later she can return with us.

Cattery: we've left her in the cattery several times, for up to 5 weeks, but I get a feeling she hates it. She's one of these cats that craves human attention, she follows us 40% of the day, sits on laps etc. But after we pick her up from the cattery she's extra needy, she panics and meows if we're not around her, she follows us 100% of the time, she will not eat her previous cat food, she will not sleep on her previous bed, she gets fatter and I just get this feeling she hates it. She turned up on our doorstep after some people moved out so I wonder if she was left behind and has a trauma about being left behind again?

So, what do you guys think would be the better for her? Come with us or stay behind?

I know a loving home to look after her would be better but we don't have friends or family who could look after her, they're either allergic or cat-haters

Appreciate your opinions, thanks!
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: 4 months in cattery vs long haul trip

Post by Lilith »

Hi there and welcome :)

I think you've answered your own question here; from the description of your cat's temperament she does sound to be one of those cats who'd rather travel with you than be left behind. They're all different; some might prefer the cattery; some are more attached to their people than stabilty. If she can travel with you in the cabin that would be marvellous as she will probably not be too fazed by the experience as long as she can see you.

It might be a good idea to consult your vet and perhaps invest in some stress remedies for before and after the journey - some people swear by Feliway, Zylkene etc, and I have known a journey cause runny eyes or a mild cold, which usually clears up by itself - other people on here will be able to advise more fully about this.

Well, that's my personal view. She's a lucky girl to have you considering her wishes like this and hope your trip is a success whatever you decide - all the best :)
Alice
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by Alice »

You might consider trying to find someone to foster her while you're away. Local charities often use foster homes and you may find one willing to help you in this way, with you paying for her food, litter, etc, and maybe offering a donation towards their charity. Living in a home she'd have more human contact, which she obviously loves, and it would cost less than a cattery.

Another suggestion would be to sign up to 'Nextdoor' and try to find someone that way to foster her, again offering to cover all expenses. If you're not familiar with it, read about it here.....

https://nextdoor.co.uk/
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by Mayday21 »

Are there any quarantine restrictions on your return from Brazil? Fostering sounds good providing your fur babe will be secure. Vivian
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Janey »

Lilith wrote: I think you've answered your own question here; from the description of your cat's temperament she does sound to be one of those cats who'd rather travel with you than be left behind.
It might be a good idea to consult your vet and perhaps invest in some stress remedies for before and after the journey - some people swear by Feliway, Zylkene etc,
Yup agree with Lilith here, those were my thoughts too.

All the best, hope all goes well.