Is anyone aware of a good dog chat site?

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
Mrs Kane
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Is anyone aware of a good dog chat site?

Post by Mrs Kane »

Hi gang,

I haven't been on here of late and I'm sorry about that. I haven't forgotten about you. I've just been busy with work.

I'm looking for a good forum for my friend. She has a corgi/sheepdog mix that's giving her problems and she's at her wits end over it. You know what, I'm just going to post the whole thing here. I've posted this to several different forums over the past few days and had no help. If someone on here could help her out or direct to a good forum I'll love you forever.

Please don't block me for this. I would never normally do this but she's my friend and I want to help her as much as I can.
Here's the post:

Hi everyone.
This is my first post so please don't think little of me.

I have a friend that adopted a mixed corgi/sheepdog breed in November of last year (2016). He's 2 years old now but he was abused and was very timid for 6 months. My friend has done wonders with him. He now eats on command, doesn't beg for food and obeys the leash wonderfully. Honestly, she's done marvels considering he was a maniac when she first got him.

However, he's developed a little bit of an aggressive streak. Everyone that saw him at home used to be able to fuss him and let him lay with them on the couch but recently he's become very anti-people. He bites everyone that shows him affection in the house. Even those that just gesture too wildly he growls and bites at. He doesn't show warning signs and very rarely barks. He just goes at them.
It's not a hard bite but it is surely a ward off. I have several bruises from just being in the house and sitting too near him. Which worries me because at Christmas he'd curl up and sit on my lap with no issues.
My friend has been trying to train him out of it but it's proving very hard. She's had a few behaviourists over and they've said he's untrainable. I don't believe that because of his previous behaviour.

If anyone could help out with training tips I'd appreciate it. He really is a lovely dog but he's become a little monster just in the house.
My friend doesn't reward him for this behaviour. She always shuts him down and ignores him. He doesn't get any food or treats for an hour if he's bitten her or lashed out at another person. We're taught to say "no" and look away as if he's not important.

He's not a small dog. He stands around 3.5 feet. He is walked 3 times a day for around 20-40 minutes depending on what's going on and goes to a dog park twice a day. He's very good outside, both with humans and other dogs.

Again, any help I'd appreciate.

Again I'm only looking for another site. I'm not asking for anyone to get involved on here because I know this is cats only. But if you are aware or are involved in a dog chat site I'd love to hear about it.
Sorry again.

Danni.
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: Is anyone aware of a good dog chat site?

Post by Janey »

I don’t know of any dog sites, hopefully someone will. Just wondering though - I presume the vet has checked him over and he’s ok healthwise? If so, it sounds like something has happened/changed to alter his behaviour, or set him back again?
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Ruth B »

Sorry I can't help with any dog sites, but I just wanted to say that I would hope no one would get upset about you trying to help any animal. A much loved pet is a much loved pet whatever the species, and even wild animals deserve our respect and help where possible.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

I have known of people experiencing problems with the temperament of a border collie - I don't know if this site would be of any help

http://bordercollieadvice.com/category/ ... -problems/
vanilla
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by vanilla »

There's this one https://www.dogforum.co.uk/ and also this one you can try https://www.petforums.co.uk/categories/dog-forums.1/

Good luck!
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

Willow was my first cat - before her I had dogs. My collie x whippet, Bonnie, was one of the smartest, most gentle animal I have ever known. I've no problem with you asking about dogs - they are all family to me! :D

Kay's suggestion sounds a good one. I know someone who has border collies and has studied their behaviour. If you pm me I could try and put you in touch with her.
Mrs Kane
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mrs Kane »

Thanks for all your responses. Sadly dogforum didn't bother to reply. Though I'm hoping for results from bordercollieadvice and petforum.