A few of my neighborhood's stray cats :)

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
Joe_Danger
VIP Cat Chatter!

A few of my neighborhood's stray cats :)

Post by Joe_Danger »

Stray cats and dogs are very common where I live and they're usually well taken care, people feed them and stuff.
The other day I took a pic of some and figured I'd share it with you guys :)
IMG_3581.jpg
IMG_3585.jpg
There's lots more, these were all just gathered in one spot now because someone was probably feeding them just before I got there
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Re: A few of my neighborhood's stray cats :)

Post by bobbys girl »

And I thought 10 'car park cats' were a lot to feed! Nice to know someone thinks about them.
Joe_Danger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Joe_Danger »

I always think about picking a random kitten up and adopting them but I don't think I could financially support a 4th cat hence why Medo and Marco had to go, plus we don't have enough room for one more litterbox :)

We also have 3 dogs we take care of as a building/neighborhood
In fact my family and I tried taking one in, however our apartment is too small and there's no way to isolate the cats and the dog in case something goes wrong. The cats aren't afraid of Moni, the dog, since she's been around since before they were born and know her well, she likes Casper but doesn't get along with the girls much...maybe she is afraid of multicolored cats lol

One time Moni got inside and ate all the cats' dry food despite having her own, Kala came up to her to sniff her and she growled at her in such a way that we decided it would be too big a risk to keep her inside the house.

She and the other dog live outside in the hallway tho, are fed, fixed, vaccinated and taken care of just like domestic dogs

Moni is over 10 years old now, can't imagine life without her, she is about the same age as Anastasia would be, the cat i had before my current cats :)
IMG_24852.jpg
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Lilith »

Aww that's great and so good that there's so much community involvement - round here people would be muttering about, ought to send for the RSPCA to shoot them ... when my ferals adopted me I lived in fear that some idiot would do just that before they were safely under my roof :(

Please give sweet Moni a love from me (oh and your gang too, sorry forgot to say on your other thread, they are gorgeous as always) :D
Joe_Danger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Joe_Danger »

Thanks!
I just cleaned Moni's water bowl this very moment :)
She has one on 3 different floors of the building

The community is involved but there are dangerous neighbors who hate both the cats and the dogs for no good reason. A few years back, I overheard a neighbor plotting to poison Lucky, a BIG, kind fluffy dog who never hut anyone. The neighbor has a drinking problem and even tho he supposedly loves dogs, he is...weird sometimes, he fixated on Lucky because he supposedly barked too much, at the time Lucky was kept in this lady's yard and even tho would bark sometimes it wasn't anything more than the rest of the dogs, his voice is just deeper.

The exterminator decline, I called him over and he did confirm the guy wanted him to poison Lucky.

FORTUNATELY Lucky is now kept inside at all times, plus the neighbor stopped hating on him soon after that incident. There's this lady in my building who is basically the main caretaker of the dogs, she is amazing and goes out of her way to make the dogs feel as comfortable as possible, she took Lucky in and he is safe with her and her wonderful family.

The neighbor who wanted to poison lucky isn't a bad person, but here many people, especially old people like him don't really value animal lives the same as human lives even tho they say they love animals.

We did lose a big, yellow dog named Ahil some years back to poisoning.

Mass poisonings are common here, I lost a cat as a kid to this, my big fat orange cat Leo :)

But for now all is well and the dogs and cats are well taken care.
I must admit I am not very familiar with the neighborhood cats, don't know their names or anything, but the dogs I am very very bonded with and close to.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

What a sweetie! She has the same soppy, kind face as our Rosie. On that subject, Rosie got on just fine with our darling Tommy - in fact Tom would rush to greet Rosie when she came back home and rub his face along Rosie's face, but she usually avoided the girls (stroppy little baggages!)
Joe_Danger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Joe_Danger »

So wow, one of the kittens, not pictured here but similar to that gray one walked in the hallway apparently.
I gave it some wet food and it gulped it down

Before I knew it my cats surrounded it and started licking and sniffing it, it followed them inside.
It even got into the litterbox to eat some litter like kittens do

We didn't know what to do, Kala and Milla started instinctively mothering it which I TRIED to avoid due to their chronic upper respiratory infection but they got to it before I could do anything.

We kept the kitten inside for a while and the cats really got attatched to it in the 15-30 minutes it spent with them.
?Not so much as a hiss just genuine gentle playfulness and love from all three, actually Casper might have hissed a tad but I'm not 100% sure, maybe it was the kitten.

however financially we can't keep a 4th cat, otherwise we would've kept Medo or Marco in the first place so I had to let it go outside. It immediately bolted towards the other cats, the dogs barked at it for a bit but it didn't pay them no mind and they got bored of it too, I mean they know each other they're outside all day lol

I dunno...maybe I should've kept it
but I don't think I can we don't have much room for another litter box if needed and if financially another cat would be a tad too much I believe.

Hope it didn't contract an URI from the girls tho, but they got to it before I even noticed.
Joe_Danger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Joe_Danger »

It wasn't just financial reasons tho, we figured what if, by chance it won't get trained to use the litter box properly, as it is a stray coming from a street environment, that could potentially mess up the other cats too and they could all start spraying and peeing all over.
I believe cats are extremely sensitive and easy to mess up when it comes to this.