URGENT ADVICE NEEDED - My 12 week old baby has wet FIP

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
mollyandbarney
New Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 3

URGENT ADVICE NEEDED - My 12 week old baby has wet FIP

Post by mollyandbarney »

My beautiful baby was diagnosed with wet FIP about a week and a half ago. It has been killing the whole family. Barney has today stopped eating and drinking, and spends all his time sleeping and being clingy. His breathing sounds very funny and he falls over when he walks. He doesn't appear to be in pain, but we are worried that we are being cruel keeping him alive. Can anyone who has experienced this horrible illness help me out? Am I doing the right thing letting him die naturally? Or is it time to take him to the vets? Please let me know.
See attached ♥️

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... =bookmarks

Molly
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: URGENT ADVICE NEEDED - My 12 week old baby has wet FIP

Post by Lilith »

I'm so sorry I can't advise you re FIP and also very sorry to hear this.

By now I'm afraid he will be dehydrated; he is so young and small, and I would definitely get him to the vet as an emergency; even if it means putting him to sleep, it's the last loving thing you can do for him.

But how long have you had him? I caught a glimpse of your facebook page (I'm not a member of fb) and so I would guess he's a pedigree? While I realise you're totally concerned with him at the moment, I feel his breeder should be aware and also take responsibility (ie full refund and thorough check of their breeding stock because this is awful.)

I'm an ex-breeder myself and would always take full responsibility for difficulties with kittens - poor little Barney and poor you too, going through this heartbreak.

Hugs to you and fusses to Barney x
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

I'm so sorry to hear this, its such a cruel disease. I would never let a cat with FIP die naturally, it isn't pleasant and it sounds like it is time for the vets. I'll be thinking of you
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by Mayday21 »

Hi Molly -- how sad -- & only concur with Lilith & Booktigger's comments. Rest assured people are thinking of you & Barney. Vivian
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Ruth B »

I am so sorry for you, that is a heartbreaking diagnosis. Until a couple of years ago I had never heard of FIP, I don't know if we are getting better at diagnosing it or if it is actually becoming more common, but it is one of those diseases I dread my cats getting as there is nothing that can be done.

I can only say that if he has stopped drinking then either he needs fluids put into him one way or another or he will die soon from thirst, which isn't a pleasant way to go. My thought is it is his way of deciding it is time to go and the kindest thing you could do is help him on his way and minimise his suffering.
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by meriad »

I cannot add to what has already been said, I agree with it all

thinking of you an Barney, so so young :(
mollyandbarney
New Cat Chatter

Post by mollyandbarney »

Lilith wrote:I'm so sorry I can't advise you re FIP and also very sorry to hear this.

By now I'm afraid he will be dehydrated; he is so young and small, and I would definitely get him to the vet as an emergency; even if it means putting him to sleep, it's the last loving thing you can do for him.

But how long have you had him? I caught a glimpse of your facebook page (I'm not a member of fb) and so I would guess he's a pedigree? While I realise you're totally concerned with him at the moment, I feel his breeder should be aware and also take responsibility (ie full refund and thorough check of their breeding stock because this is awful.)

I'm an ex-breeder myself and would always take full responsibility for difficulties with kittens - poor little Barney and poor you too, going through this heartbreak.

Lillith,

We have had barney for a little under 2 months, so not long at all. We contacted the breeder and explained situation and she said that none of her health checks ever showed FIP. She is a regular breeder and offered us another kitten the next time she has a litter, but I feel that it would be too much of a reminder
mollyandbarney
New Cat Chatter

Post by mollyandbarney »

Thank you all for your kind wishes. Since I posted this, Barney seemed to have peeked up a bit and had been walking around and attempting to eat, however today he has had two small episodes that looked like a sort of fit, so we feel it might be time to make the trip to the vets tomorrow :(
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

Very sorry to hear that. Thinking of you. xx
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

I'm glad you've been able to talk to the breeder and that she's willing to make reparation - though that's cold comfort at the moment of course.

I hope the vet can see him today, and please do keep updating, give the little lad a fuss from me x
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

mollyandbarney wrote:
Lilith wrote:I'm so sorry I can't advise you re FIP and also very sorry to hear this.

Lillith,

We have had barney for a little under 2 months, so not long at all. We contacted the breeder and explained situation and she said that none of her health checks ever showed FIP. She is a regular breeder and offered us another kitten the next time she has a litter, but I feel that it would be too much of a reminder
If he's 12 weeks old now, and you have had him just under 2 months, how old was he when you adopted him? If she is a registered breeder, kittens shouldn't be sold till 13 weeks, even a reputable rescue wouldn't home till at least 9 weeks. Unfortunately FIP doesn't show on a health check, only the Corona virus.
mollyandbarney
New Cat Chatter

Post by mollyandbarney »

Thank you all for your messages. This morning, we started making the trip to the vets and Barney died peacefully just before getting there ♥️
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

I'm so sorry to hear this, RIP little one
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Ruth B »

I'm so sorry to hear it, but at least he went peacefully.

RIP little Barney.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Ohhh, so very sorry to hear.

Sleep tight little Barney, and hugs to you Molly x
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mayday21 »

Hi Molly I'm so sorry to read about Barney - my thoughts are with you & your family at this sad time. Please take time to process your grief & post whatever & whenever should you wish advice & support. RIP little Barney you were & are so very much loved. Vivian