Microchip Feeder - Anyone used one?

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
BabyBerlioz
Frequent Cat Chatter

Microchip Feeder - Anyone used one?

Post by BabyBerlioz »

Hi,

I have been looking at this:

http://www.argos.co.uk/product/5483354

One of my kitty cats will only eat wet food. I like the idea of this sealed unit that will keep the food fresher for longer and keep a lid on the smell. It's a lot of money but I am up for it if it actually works.
Amerififer
Frequent Cat Chatter

Re: Microchip Feeder - Anyone used one?

Post by Amerififer »

I have one....

Bought it after I got my current rescue about 2 years ago... He is a feline garbage disposal lol he will eat just about anything... and was quite overweight when I got him..

My other cat at the time was a then 16 year old boy who had thyroid,kidney issues.. and was underweight..

The only way I could allow Midnight the underweight one to free eat and keep Spirit (rescue boy) out of his food was to buy this and only give Midnight access.. that way he could free eat, when he wanted and Spirit couldn't access it..

Worked a treat. Midnight very quickly learned how to use it.. and Spirit couldn't figure out why he couldn't get at the food in the dishes.. lol..
Definitely a worthwhile investment for me ..esp have two cats with very different needs.. :)
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by greenkitty »

I had a multicat household with one of the three being in renal failure, I wanted him to have constant access to food but keep one of the others out, worked really well and he quickly picked it up. He was deaf so not bothered by the sound of it opening. You can also buy a clip on plastic cover that goes round the back to stop anyone coming in from that direction!
MarySkater
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by MarySkater »

I have two for my cats. They work fine. Some people worry about the cost of batteries, as 4x C cells aren't cheap. I put Duracell in mine, and a set lasts around a year.

It's worth noting, for anyone who just has one cat, but still wants to keep the food fresh and protected from flies, there is a slightly cheaper version which will open when any pet goes near it:
http://www.argos.co.uk/product/6198088
Alice
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Alice »

I wonder if anyone on here has this Argos model? I feed my cats in the kitchen and walk past their bowls frequently, so I presume my movements would have it opening and closing like mad, and running the battery down. Am I right, or can it detect the difference between dainty paws approaching and a large human passing? :?:
MarySkater
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarySkater »

They aren't made by Argos, both the microchip one and the covered bowl are made by Surepet. There's a video showing the covered bowl in operation here:
https://www.surepetcare.com/en-gb/pet-f ... d-pet-bowl

So far as I can see, it activates when it sees movement directly over the bowl - it's not reacting to footsteps. So unless you're wearing a long skirt which would flutter near the bowl, it should be okay. But that's the sort of technical question that you could ask the makers about.
Alice
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Alice »

Thanks Mary, what you've explained, and the video are very helpful. I don't possess any long skirts, :lol: so no such problems there!

I'll certainly consider getting one.
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by MarkB »

I keep forgetting that I won one of the cheaper ones in a Petplan prize draw early this year. I planned to use it during the summer, but never got round to it.
BabyBerlioz
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by BabyBerlioz »

Thanks everyone for your replies. I have two cats now, the second one a wee rescue I have only had for a week. They seem to be pretty respectful of each other's feeding spots (after handbags at dawn initially) so am not really bothered about them eating each others so I might get the cheaper version. Either way I am waiting for Amazon Black Friday just in case any good deals appear.