My namesake escapes!

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

My namesake escapes!

Post by Lilith »

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/ ... dlife-park

... they've misspelled her name (but this is always happening to me too - many commiserations, Lilith!)

Hope you're safe and warm but hopefully you'll be back to your home with all mod cons and regular grub soon :)
alanc
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: My namesake escapes!

Post by alanc »

I'm wondering how soon someone will see Tilly's face peering at them from the bushes and jump to the conclusion she is Lilleth the Lynx. After all, if a Maine Coon can be mistaken for a Lion, a Lynx is much more plausible!
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

I thought of you Lilith when I read that in the Mail yesterday. I also thought - poor little beggar doesn't stand a chance with armed police after her. I really hope she gets home safe. Let's all send positive vibes her way.
MarySkater
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by MarySkater »

It brings a whole new aspect to discussion about keeping cats safe at home versus letting them roam free and risk the hazards.

Lovely girl, I wish her well.
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Ruth B »

The joy of searching for the missing links (or lynx).

I do hope they get her home safe and sound before some idiot tries to approach her and gets scratched or bitten, Lilith the lynx would probably be the one to suffer the consequences not the idiot that got too close.

I have to admit to being in favour of reintroducing lynx or wolves to the UK. I know they would take some farm stock, but I think overall they would do more good than harm.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Lol Alan I think you've added another spelling to the mix - I've also been Lileth, Lilieth, Lilth, Edith, Lily, Phyllis ... I bet her keepers just give up and call her Lil, like I do myself :lol:

It's really worrying because there could be some stupid pathetic wannabe macho types out there with crossbows and airguns, ready for a 'laugh' ... slaughter them first, Lil, lass!

For this reason I'd be afraid, Ruth, of introducing wolves and lynxes into this country, much as I'd like to see more wildlife around, but why didn't I think of 'Missing Links to the lynx' first? :lol:

Come home Lilith and stay safe, all paws here crossed and Shahi-python is crossing his tail ...
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

At least you just have your name misspelled (not even sure THAT is right) An aunt called me Betty (mum's name), mum has called me Bonnie on more than one occasion and the deputy head at my school always called me Pamela. How they EVER got that from Susan, the mind boggles! :?

Just as long as they don't call me late for my supper. :lol: :lol:

Been out all day, any news on kitty Lilith?
alanc
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by alanc »

Lilith - I was using the best BBC spelling as given on their website - if you can't trust that, what can you trust! :D
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Lol Bobbys girl - you're even worse off than me :o (Oh and I missed out 'Lilian' as well.) Ha, Alan, trust the beeb, or should that be 'boob'?

It seems like there's a sort of mental blockage about the unfamiliar name 'Lilith' which makes me wonder - if anyone mangles my name or tries to call me something different (an employer's mother once announced that she was going to call me 'Liz' because 'Lil' sounded 'common') I simply ignore them.

Poor little Lilith is probably skulking on her mountainside listening to well-meaning searchers calling - 'Lilli-eth!' and thinking 'sod it'. Whereas if someone came along and called, 'Lilith' or even 'Lil' and made a noise like a nice fresh shoulder of lamb or even a tin of Butcher's, she'd probably leap into their arms shedding tears of lynxy relief ... :lol:

Joking apart, sadly, no news of her, I've been googling and the most recent report is a day-old Sun's, which says 'it may be aggressive' ... well, she's a lynx isn't she?
Last edited by Lilith on Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Hey - I was completely forgetting but in the 70s a cat of mine was grabbed by a lynx - yes, honestly!

Does anyone remember a Yorkshire TV show with Magnus Pyke and Rob Buckman? Called 'Don't Ask Me?' I wrote in with a query about cats purring and ended up on the set with two young cats, Khalil and Thomas. We shared a dressing room with a young zoo-reared lynx called Harvey - who pounced on poor Khalil. Harvey's handler gave him a kiss and cuddle to make up for it, and I got to cuddle Harvey, who was amazing, all muscle under that appealing spotted exterior, truly a wild thing. Our item was never shown because Khalil and Thomas couldn't purr to order (I'm not sure about Harvey) that and the studio lights making them fall asleep - well, what do you expect from cats lol :)
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

Lilith wrote:Lol Bobbys girl - you're even worse off than me :o (Oh and I missed out 'Lilian' as well.) Ha, Alan, trust the beeb, or should that be 'boob'?

It seems like there's a sort of mental blockage about the unfamiliar name 'Lilith' which makes me wonder - if anyone mangles my name or tries to call me something different (an employer's mother once announced that she was going to call me 'Liz' because 'Lil' sounded 'common') I simply ignore them.
Once worked with a couple of fellas who would purposely mis-hear things. They were forever changing song lyrics and would have us in fits. A new guy came to work with us, when asked what the 'P' of his middle name was. He said, Philip, 'did he say Phyllis?' 'yes I think he did duck'. Phyllis it was! :roll: :lol: Poor lad used to get some very strange looks responding to his new name, but as the Borg would say 'resistance is futile'. I do miss those idiots.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

:lol:

I think one of the strongest bonds between me and my ex, Adrian, is our love of nonsense and silly jokes - my nickname for him is 'Boris' because he always leaves everything till the last minute and then grumbles that he's 'Russian'!

Once I answered the phone to a wrong number and he said, 'who was that?' so I said, 'it was someone asking was that Emily?'

He said, 'you should have said, no, this is Charlotte - Emily's dead!' :o :lol: Ouch!
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Ruth B »

I was lucky that when i got married I escaped my name issues.

My maiden name was Ormesher and you would not believe the spelling variations that everyone in the family received, it was almost a celebration when someone managed to spell it right first time.

I also remember when someone was writing it down after i had spelt it out for them, looked at it and commented that it was an unusual name and where did it come from, expecting it to be somewhere really exotic. The look on their face when I stared at them and said rather bluntly 'It's Lancastrian', they were rather taken aback. It was always a bit embarrassing being Yorkshire born and bred and having to admit the surname was Lancastrian, though further research has indicated a viking origin, possibly coming over here with the Norman invasion.

As far as poor Lillith the lynx goes, I do hope she is safe somewhere and not too cold and hungry. As far as the spelling of the name goes, the question is did the beeb get it wrong or did the zoo get it wrong and add the extra L.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

Re: spelling, I think I know where the problem lies, it's all the i's and l's. I once spelt a friends name Wililams! :lol: :lol:
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Hey Ruth I can imagine! My mother's maiden name and married name were both unusual, and so was my married name ... when I got unmarried I didn't want a surname that was 'family' or husband's so changed it to something simpler and much more prosaic.

I think you're right, Bobby's girl, people think it doesn't look 'right' and throw in an extra l or e to be on the safe side. Or they get confused with 'Elizabeth'.

By the way 'Boris' generally called me 'Dago' or 'Gyppo' though nowadays even he calls me plain Lil :lol:

No news on Lilith - I keep googling (don't read papers or watch TV.) She'll be a survivor - hopefully she's found a few bunnies to keep her going, but do wish she was safe - thanks heavens it's not the lambing season!
MarySkater
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarySkater »

Lilith wrote:No news on Lilith - I keep googling (don't read papers or watch TV.) She'll be a survivor - hopefully she's found a few bunnies to keep her going, but do wish she was safe - thanks heavens it's not the lambing season!
I can't find anything new today. There was a mention on the BBC website yesterday, including a photo:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-mid-wales-41829374
It's a very fuzzy picture, probably taken from a long way off, but you can just make out that it's a lynx peeking from behind a tree.

Lilith, you're right that she's lucky it's not lambing season. I don't think a lynx would take on an adult sheep, especially a lynx that's not used to hunting for her food. But she'd see a lamb as fair game, and probably get shot. I do hope they manage to dart or net her soon, and get her back to a safe place.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Ah thanks for that, Mary :) She looks like a fox bless her, and yes, any trigger-happy farmer would soon polish her off with some trumped-up excuse, or if she took a hen ...

There was a horrible case here a year or two back where a friend of a friend accidentally lost two dogs and made all responsible effort to find them straight away; I don't recall the story entirely but it seems she was told a farmer had them shut up in an outbuilding ... then for no apparent reason killed them. There was no evidence that they'd killed livestock and the case was strong enough for it to go to court.

Do hope Lil the missing lynx comes back home soon!
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mayday21 »

Hi do hope they find this Lynx before something untoward happens.... not its fault it got out. Vivian
MarySkater
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarySkater »

Still on the run. Pictured here next to a cage-trap, but was clearly too smart to go in.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-mid-wales-41858051

She's looking well! :D
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Hey thanks again Mary - I googled this morning but never found that.

She is being a bad lass, hope she slynx back home soon; I'm sure she's capable of surviving but I'm so worried about what idiots she, and the publicity, may attract :(
MarySkater
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarySkater »

I go to the BBC news site:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk
then type Borth lynx into the search box.

Yes, it's easy to admire her for managing to stay on the run. But for her safety, and our peace of mind, it will be a relief to know she's back home.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Ah again thanks, Mary :D

Yes, all paws and tails crossed, Lilith come home!
alanc
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by alanc »

Hope she tires of outsmarting humans and comes home soon. As a Welsh Lynx though, shouldn't her name be spelt Lylydd?
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

:lol: :lol: :lol: Lylydd indeed!
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Nice one, Alan! :lol:
MarySkater
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarySkater »

Not caught yet, but they are still working on it.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-mid-wales-41884226

At least now they are (mostly!) spelling her name correctly.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Thanks Mary - hey glad they're spelling her name properly.

But - a DRONE??? :o

She'll think it's a lynxy da bird! :lol:
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Ruth B »

Maybe they should try hanging a dead mouse from the drone and see if they can entice her back to her pen that way.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

I wonder if Lynx-sized Dreamies would work? :D
Judy Barnett
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Judy Barnett »

bobbys girl wrote:I wonder if Lynx-sized Dreamies would work? :D