Introducing kitten to cat

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
sophialala
New Cat Chatter

Introducing kitten to cat

Post by sophialala »

Hi I'm new here... couldn't find any posts about introducing a kitten to a resident cat. I may be being dim- I'm not too good at these kinds of websites!

I just wanted some advice and make sure I'm on the right track :)

So I got a kitten, Tilly, a week ago and I've been keeping her in the back room for the time. My resident cat, Pumpkin, used to hiss at the door when she heard her meowing but now she just ignores it. Pumpkin also use to hide under the bed and go out more than normal but she's not really doing that anymore. I've put a few of Tilly's toys and a blanket she slept on in Pumpkin's area and she just sniffs them and ignores them.
They have seen each other but it was by accident- Tilly was at the door when I went in and Pumpkin could see her. Pumpkin didn't really react. Is this a good sign??
Right now Tilly is playing in the back room and Pumpkin is chilling next to me. So I think Pumpkin is pretty relaxed.

I'm wondering how to go about introducing them face to face? I've got a cage that's pretty big for a kitten to put Tilly in with some toys and food but thing is she doesn't like it and meows a lot when she's in there. Pumpkin is a quiet little cat so she won't go up to Tilly if she's making a racket! I don't want to push Pumpkin into meeting Tilly but I can't leave Tilly in the cage until Pumpkin decides she'll have a little nose because it'll be hours!

Any suggestions on how to make Pumpkin more relaxed with the meeting?
Do you think Tilly in the cage in the living room, which is part of Pumpkin's area is a good idea? She'll probably just go out lol. Does that matter?

I'll be so grateful for advice!! thank you :)
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Re: Introducing kitten to cat

Post by bobbys girl »

Sounds like you are doing OK so far. We are planning to introduce a new kitten (or two!) to our lot quite soon. We are going to buy a cage tomorrow so we can keep them separate overnight. I must admit I'm not sure what to do for the best, so I will be interested to hear what other people think.

Good luck!
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Lilith »

Hi and welcome :)

Congrats on the new arrival and I agree with Bobbys girl - all sounds to be going extremely well.

You might find this useful - https://www.catchat.org/index.php/new-cat-introductions

There will be ups and downs; don't be dismayed by any hisses or growls; many of these are conversational, a sort of 'humph well, I don't know' noise rather than aggression, and even cats living together long-term will swear at each other from time to time. I once bred Siamese and their 'uncle', a huge black neutered crossbred, used to growl at the kittens ... until one day I caught him washing one :lol:

All the very best and please update :)
sophialala
New Cat Chatter

Post by sophialala »

Thank you Bobbys girl! Two kittens!! How exciting! How many cats do you have? You’ll have to keep me updated with how your two get on. Yeah I definitely think getting a cage is the best way.

Thank you Lilith too! It’s good to know they’re just being typical cats about it all. haha I love that… cats swearing at each other :lol:
Haha it seems even cats can't resist the cat charm!
Thanks for the link as well, I shall be referring to it.

The hardest thing I'm finding at the moment is when I'm fussing over Pumpkin and Tilly is meowing in the back room because she's lonely :( but Pumpkin gets upset if I leave her to go to Tilly. But I'm sure it'll pay off in the end :) They're both such good natured cats.
alanc
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by alanc »

No advice to give regarding introducing kitten to cat as I have never done it, but my Tilly (a 5.8kg female Maine Coon 1 yard long) says hi and welcome to your tiny Tilly.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

sophialala wrote:Thank you Bobbys girl! Two kittens!! How exciting! How many cats do you have? You’ll have to keep me updated with how your two get on. Yeah I definitely think getting a cage is the best way.
At the moment I have four cats. But I have had six before now - just not kittens! I must admit I really hope someone nice turns up for the little girl. If not ..... we're going to have a lively Christmas!