Cat Litter.

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
filardimarg-9
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Cat Litter.

Post by filardimarg-9 »

Can you tell me what cat litter you all buy please........I bought Sanicat Classic but it is SO dusty, when Bella digs or when I change the litter there are clouds of dust coming up from the tray........not nice at all.

Marg.
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: Cat Litter.

Post by Ruth B »

I like the Catsan clumping litter. It is dusty, most clay based ones are, but I only notice it when pouring the litter out not when the cats are using it and having open trays it is easy to see if there are clouds of dust coming up. Its nicely fine grained, they all seem to like it for digging in and it is one of the best odour control litters i have found. It is expensive, normally between £5 and £6 for a 5L bag, and when I fully clean out one of the big trays i can go through a bag and a half to refill it. Fortunately that only needs doing every couple of weeks as it is the type you deep fill and then just remove the solid waste and the clumps of wet clay. The only other real fault with it is that if there isn't enough litter in the tray or the cat likes to try and dig down to Australia it can glue itself to the bottom of the tray when it clumps which means you need a strong arm and a strong scoop to get it out.
Amerififer
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Amerififer »

I order my cat litter online from Zooplus..

This is what I order.. I love it..

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/cat_ ... ?rrec=true

Usually get the 2 14kg bags for £19.99.. It clumps great.. easy to scoop.. very little dust.
Also bonus since it gets delivered I don't have to worry about carrying it home and into the house :) lolol
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

I have used Golden Grey and Golden White for ages too, as my two definitely prefer the finer grained stuff, and it clumps so well it only needs de-clumping and topping up, so works out very economically

but I prefer silica litters because they are so lightweight and dry out poop so well, but the bits were too big for my cats - however, I have just ordered this one http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/cat_ ... ter/652266 which seems to be much finer in texture than the usual crystal silica litter - just hope they will use it
alanc
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by alanc »

I use Pettex premium grade (don't think there is any other grade!) grey clumping cat litter. I buy it in 10kg bags costing about £8.00 per bag. Works fine, is not noticeably dusty and easy to remove clumps with a scoop. Tilly prefers going outside, but is happy enough to use it when forced by weather or being shut in for any reason.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

Mine have the wood pellets. I tried the clay stuff but they don't like it which is good cos neither do I!

Tesco, Asda, Pets at Home and Jolleys all do it. I buy it wherever it's on offer.
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by MarkB »

I have tried quite a few over the years, but Sanicat professional clumping gold from Zooplus is the one I havebeen using for quite a few years now. You get 3 x 6L boxes for £13.99.It lasts ages.It clumps really well, and has a very subtle fresh smell.I ran out last week and was going to buy a box in Tesco for £5 (although oddly, the boxes they sell are only 5L,rather than 6L) but they didn't have any. I bought a bag of their own brand ultra clumping for £4 . It clumps well, but a bit dusty and is quite highly perfumed.

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/cat_ ... ter/186499
MarySkater
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by MarySkater »

Like bobbys girl, I use wood pellets. Currently I'm buying mine locally from B&M, £5.59 for 30 litres, but there are various brands around. All the cats I've had have been willing to use it, although I suppose a cat with very sensitive paws might not like the pellets.

I find it quite good for odour control (so long as the cat actually buries its waste!); it has a woody smell which I'm happy with. The pellets don't clump; quite the opposite, they dissolve into sawdust when wet. Since I have the time to spare, I put it through a sieve when I clean the tray. Any litter that has been wet falls through the sieve as powder. Any that is still dry stays in the sieve as pellets, and can be re-used. This makes it very economical. (Sieve with 3mm mesh, from a garden centre for seedling compost.)
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

I must look out for that offer at B&M. I think we will be getting through a lot of kitty litter in the next few weeks! :shock:
Alice
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Alice »

Home Bargains also sell the wood pellets, if you've one nearby, but I'm not sure of the price. Most of their prices are very competitive, but I don't buy it as mine prefer the Fullers earth type. When I provided a tray of each the wood pellets were seldom used, with lots more action in the clumping one, so now I use that in all the trays. I'm happy with Lidl's litter at £1,55 for 10kg, and so are they - it does get scattered a bit but a handheld cordless vacuum soon picks it up.
filardimarg-9
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by filardimarg-9 »

Thank you all for the replies, I took the remainder of the sack back to the place I bought it from, they recommended the wood pellets, so I had them, just hope Bella likes them.

Marg.
MarySkater
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarySkater »

If you haven't yet cleaned the old litter out of the tray, it would be a good idea to scatter some wood pellets on the top to get her used to them, while she still has the familiar litter underneath. If you have already got rid of all the old stuff, you might just need to give her a bit of encouragement to use the new.
filardimarg-9
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by filardimarg-9 »

MarySkater......what sort of encouragement......I have cleaned out the litter tray, didn't give it a thought, I was just so pleased to get rid of the dusty stuff.
So far Bella hates the wood pellets, waited all night for the bedroom door to be opened so she could go downstairs to use the other litter tray that still has the other litter in it, so it looks like I have shot myself in the foot here, so long as she doesn't decide to use a corner instead of the tray of pellets.
Not sure how long it could take her to decide it is ok to use, we are away tomorrow, Saturday & Sunday, (my sister in law is coming to look after Bella) if she is still not using the tray then I will give in & buy more of the other sort of litter, bless her cotton socks Lol.

Marg.
MarySkater
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarySkater »

In general when you're changing litter, it's better to give them a little of the new added to the old that they're used to, then gradually change the mix to more of the new, until you can phase out the old altogether. I once took in a kitten who ignored the litter tray, but when she started scratching at a magazine on the floor, I realised she'd been trained on newspaper. So I put newspaper on top of the litter, and gradually made the paper smaller and smaller, until she got used to the litter.

Since Bella has shown you her preference for her old litter, you might do better to get more of that, and over the space of a week or so, add in the wood pellets and reduce the clay. Our fur babies don't like sudden changes! :) Good luck.
filardimarg-9
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by filardimarg-9 »

Oh dear, looks like I have a lot to learn yet, such a long time since I had a cat.
I will get some more on Monday when we are back home, she still has 1 tray with the old litter in it, that one is downstairs.

Marg.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

If there is enough litter in the downstairs tray, why not try adding a thin layer on top of the wood pellets upstairs - I'd add a small bit of a clump too so it smells right to her - if that works then you can go half and half in both trays
filardimarg-9
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by filardimarg-9 »

I have got a bag of the old stuff in the bin in a bag, I can get that out & use that.
Thanks for the advice.

Marg.
Crayon
New Cat Chatter

Post by Crayon »

Tesco’s odour control antibacterial :D
filardimarg-9
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by filardimarg-9 »

Thank you for all the replies, Bella will not use the wooden pellets, she hung on all night then came running down stairs to use the litter tray down stairs, that happened 3 night's running.
The company very kindly sent me another sack of the same stuff, I really don't want it so rang the place I bought the original sack from & they very kindly exchanged it for the Fuller's earth type stuff........that was so kind of them!!!

Marg.
vanilla
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by vanilla »

I've tried all cat litter and I've now stuck with Cat's Best Öko Plus Cat Litter. Clumps easily and easy to remove, doesn't leave too much of a trail behind and not as dusty as others. I started a thread on cat ltter a while back, so names of cat litter you can try. It's a bit trial and error to begin with.

Wooden pellets can be a bit hard on the paws, mine likes a sandy texture.

https://www.catchat.org/felineforum/vie ... 993#p43993

Good luck!
filardimarg-9
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by filardimarg-9 »

Well I have opened the clumping Sanicat fullers earth litter, much better than the Sanicat I got originally, Bella likes & uses it but it is still dusty, not as bad as the other one, it is a 20lt sack & I wont buy it again, I will get the Asda one, it was so much better, no dust at all & cheaper.
I am not sure at all about the Sanicat brand, that is 3 of their lines I have tried & I or Bella don't like any of them, but they make a lot of different sorts of litter, all with different names.....the one I swopped to is grey, but goes like concrete when Bella wee's, really hard & stuck to the bottom of the tray.

Marg.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

The very very best cat litter I've ever used (not personally I mean lol) is World's Best, which I get delivered from Zooplus - don't know if it's stocked by supermarkets or pet chains. It looks like coarse sand and isn't dusty; I believe it's made from some sort of corn by-product; it's 'organic' and absorbent and it clumps - and it can be flushed down the loo as long as you're on the mains - I've been warned that old houses may not have reliable mains in this respect but so far so good in my Victorian terrace (paws crossed of course!) It has a smell of wet sand when used and isn't cheap but I wouldn't use anything else.

Personally.

However. My youngest cat Molly said she Didn't Like It. She'd already rebelled against Sainsbury's Ultra Clumping, which is a fuller's earth variety but so fine and dust free it's very civilised - but it contains 'fragrance'. I wish manufacturers would realise that what may be perfume to a human's nose is offensive to the cat! She'd wee in it but leave a pile in a specially chosen corner between dishwasher and cooker ... NOT sanitary. And yes, a metal wallpaper scraper was needed to chip the clumps out of the tray. So after a brief trial of some ghastly stuff called Bio-Catolet (recycled paper, doesn't clump but thought it would be less heavy in the wheelybin but NOBODY liked it!) I switched to Sainsbury's Clumping Cat litter Natural Clay. Dustier, and you have to chip wee clumps out yet again, but it doesn't track as badly as other clay litters and Molly does deign to use it, so anything to prevent the appearance of The Pile between dishwasher etc ...

Just to complicate things, in the summer my Mouse went off for treatment for hyperthyroidism and returned with a huge bag of a litter called Cat's Best, which is also flushable, as all her products were radioactive for a while and had to be flushed away or else stored for several weeks until safe. This is ok -ish. Very similar to World's Best and it does clump if you leave it long enough, but I find it messier and not as easily flushable and even though Mousey is long out of isolation, now everyone prefers the clay stuff downstairs ... you can imagine how huge the sack was as the last of the CB is still in the upstairs tray :o

But last week Molly honoured it with The Pile ...

Cats.

AARRGGHHHH! CATS!!!!! :shock: :evil: :lol:
filardimarg-9
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by filardimarg-9 »

Lilith......Bella likes this Sanicat clumping litter, it is me that doesn't, the litter tray is in my bedroom so when she scratches the litter to cover her toilet, it creates dust, not a lot, but enough that I can smell it & cough/sneeze, (Bella still doesn't come down stairs much) Not sure about cat litter....I bought, as I saw it, one of the best, it came recommended both by the staff in the shop & my niece who uses it, but I have found the cheap litter from Asda & Lidl is much better, the Asda one had absolutely no dust at all & was only £1.55 for 10lt. I will get rid of this sack of Sanicat as quickly as I can then use the cheaper litter.
Thanks for the replies & advice.....

Marg.