Cat keeps coming in my house...

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
Emma33
New Cat Chatter

Cat keeps coming in my house...

Post by Emma33 »

Hello...im new on here...ive got this cat from outside that keeps coming in my house eating my cats food scaring them and is now sleeping on my bed..ive just been speaking to a lady on another social website who said that the same thing happened to a lady who was on here about 4/5 months ago im.based in Chatham Kent ..im.just wondering of anyone can remember the lady...bit of a long shot I know...
papa cat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 0

Re: Cat keeps coming in my house...

Post by papa cat »

Obviously you have to somehow make this cat not like your house.
Do something to it that it finds unpleasant without being cruel.
Chasing it out whilst shouting loudly at it,
Use a water pistol or spray at it when in comes in,
Whack it (not excessively hard) with a rolled up newspaper or similar and chase it out.
Or maybe pick it up and give a good shaking then eject in out of the house.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Lilith »

Hi and welcome, do you know anything about this cat's background? If it has a home in the area, or is it a known stray/feral? Is it neutered/spayed (I know that's difficult to know with females unless they're in heat or pregnant.) If not, that can sometimes account for aggressiveness.

I've had ferals move in with me; one tom was very threatening but since I felt sorry for him (he was dirty and hungry) I let him stay and (with neutering) he calmed down and became a beautiful cat. I've also had the odd freeloader dropping in for a free feed of biscuits, but since everything's been peaceable I haven't interfered. Then there was Mork, a neutered male who had a very good home nearby, and who thought he'd take over my house just for the hell of it. I crept up on him as he was cornering my boy at the top of the stairs and I don't believe in hitting cats but you need to give bullies a shock. Mork was a huge semi-longhair and the tap I gave him over his well padded backside can't have hurt him physically but it sure hurt his dignity. He ran. If I saw him on the garden wall after that I'd just growl, 'Mork!' and he'd be off. The water spray, as Papa cat says, is a good deterrent too. Squirt the base of the tail and the bully has to back down from a confrontation to see what the cold wet shock is.

If you can get this cat to a vet, they'll check it free for a microchip and hopefully the owner can be traced.

I can understand your dilemma: you obviously don't want to turn this cat out into the cold if it's in need but you can do without this disruption. If it is a stray, have you a garden shed that you can make into a safe base for it with food and bed and tray, and make it clear that your cats have first claim on their own house?

But if it does have a decent home, then personally I'd harden my heart and be firm, as Papa cat says.

Good luck and please let us know how you go on :)
Emma33
New Cat Chatter

Post by Emma33 »

Hi thankyou for your reply I don't know where this cat lives or if he is a stray but everytime he comes in my house he must feel comfortable and safe...it is very frustrating I'm such a cat lover I don't want to turn him away but I have to think of my own cats and there health as one cat has been getting stressed causing her to lock fur so much she made herself sore and a vet trip was needed....i can't cope with coming home knowing my cats have gone without food all day and haven't been in during bad weather because of this other cat...
MarySkater
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by MarySkater »

As a first step, when you are going out you could bring your cats inside and block the cat flap. Then your cats have food and shelter, and the stranger has no "reward" for hanging around. Longer term, you could consider installing a cat flap that reads microchips, and program it only to let in your cats.
Marla
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Marla »

Because the cat is so comfortable coming in your house, he's probably a lost or abandoned cat.

Please have a look at these suggestions regarding found cats:
https://www.catchat.org/index.php/cat-m ... ound#found

I agree with the suggestions of giving him shelter and checking for a microchip. I don't agree with whacking him with a newspaper! :shock:

If you take him to the vet to check for a microchip and there isn't one, please contact local no-kill rescues to find him a home. Don't leave him at the vet.
YogiBoy
Site Admin

Post by YogiBoy »

Hi Emma,

First of all, well done to you for caring!

Marla is right, he is most likely lost or abandoned. Please do try the "paper collar" idea, given on the link in Marla's post to the 'Found Cats' advice though, just in case he does live locally and is just taking advantage of a nice warm house if his owners are out. If you don't get a reply, then follow the rest of the advice on that page - ringing local rescue organisations and local vets, so they can check their Lost & Found registers.

Or, if this cat is causing a nuisance to your cats, after trying the paper collar idea, it might be best to call local rescues anyway, as they will scan for a microchip, and if none is found they can then go about finding him a new home - find details of your nearest rescues here: https://www.catchat.org/index.php/cat-r ... uk-ireland

Please don't try the ideas of hitting or shaking the cat, as previously suggested, as that could make the cat fearful of humans, and/or aggressive to you, neither of which will help him when it comes to being rehomed. If his home cannot be found, the best tactic is to keep him fed and safe until a rescue organisation can take him in for homing.

Good luck!