Jesus, Casper has been mounting Kala all this time, he is fixed tho

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
Joe_Danger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Jesus, Casper has been mounting Kala all this time, he is fixed tho

Post by Joe_Danger »

As you guys know, Kala was in no condition to be spayed, but since her chronic respiratory infection issues are being sorted out slowly, we are preparing her for what is probably going to be a fairly risky surgery for her. The vet is hoping to have her ready by March if she gains enough weight.

She is happy and playful and has very weak heats when she goes through heat and I think I finally understand why. Casper despite being fixed for a long long time now has been mounting her and doing his thing much to her delight XD Of course we don't scold them for this since that would only cause anxiety in both cats, especially Casper.

So I guess this keeps her heats in check and she has time to play, eat and just be normal in general when she goes through estrus.

BUT what do we do once she gets fixed? Those first few weeks where if a male mounts her she could die? My vet suggests giving Casper some pills that would further dull his sex drive, she says they won't affect him poorly since he is already fixed. She says males in his line are generally very sexual, his dad is like that too so it's normal for him to act this way around an intact female. Some toms do, some don't. So far, so good, Kala eats well, she finally got somewhat addicted to that one type of dry Royal Canin....you can't leave any kind of Royal Canin out tho, Casper gulps it all down in seconds, he is addicted to the brand so we feed Kala separately whenever she wants :)

Keeping them separate after the surgery really isn't an option with how small a place we live in, so hopefully the pills will keep Casper's sex drive in check while Kala still attracts males for a short while after being fixed.

I understand all this is very frustrating to read to those of you who get upset over cats not being spayed on time, I was the same way and still get VERY upset when people I talk to locally REFUSE to get their pets fixed, but Kala's case is a tad different so we're just trying to minimize the risk of the surgery. She should be fine now if we keep at it and she eats well until then.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: Jesus, Casper has been mounting Kala all this time, he is fixed tho

Post by booktigger »

I've never heard of it being dangerous for a cat to be mounted shortly after spaying, in theory she shouldn't attract males, as it is only when she goes in heat, and that shouldn't happen after neutering, unlike males who still produce sperm after being castrated.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Lilith »

Yup -agree.

You can't spay a girl in heat (well, not advisable since the organs are engorged with extra blood supply; easier to wait till she's out of it) so he probably won't think of mounting her when not in call.

I've had neutered males mounting a calling cat; the first time was with a fluffy black kitten called Janey and a ginger lad called Arthur; he used to sit astride her and chew her neck and say, 'errm Lil, where's the handbook, how do I proceed?' I DID get her spayed quickly after that but he'd spoiled her beauty by leaving a great crusty bald patch on her neck ... I suppose he pacified her a bit though.

The next time was with Gorgeous George (aka the Beast of Bodmin lookalike) and his cousin Jacinth, my first Siamese ... and he knew exactly what to do :o Blue-point videos on the windowsill! He sent her into a phantom pregnancy which was only resolved by her going to stay with a generous stud owner, next to her boy's pen, when the aroma of stud and the noise of frequent matings brought her hormones to their senses. She had some fine kittens.

So I don't think Casper will harm Kala in the slightest, but for the sake of peace I hope you manage to get her spayed soon ... in the meantime, sounds like they're having fun :D
Joe_Danger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Joe_Danger »

Thanks.
Well Kala's heats are very weak and her calling barely differs from regular mewing in terns of loudness since she has a very quiet and weak, kinda chirpy mew anyways. In fact people have mistaken her for a bird in outside when she is in her carrier :)
With Casper's help her heats are barely noticeable

I really do hope that after all this her surgery and recovery go smoothly, we'll know in March or so I believe.
She isn't putting much weight on, probably because of the heats and energy she uses with that but other than that she is very very good, active, playful.

As for the dangers of a cat being mounted by a male after spaying surgery, I read about that in several different places online back when we were getting Milla fixed. After her spaying surgery Milla's hormones took about a week or two to calm down and for her to stop calling.
We'll see how Kala's thing goes.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

That really surprises me about Milla, as I foster I've had lots of females neutered, and the only one who showed anything after was one of the first who I hadn't realised was slightly still in heat, and I've neutered mum cats while still feeding kittens for the past few years
Joe_Danger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Joe_Danger »

Milla's calling phase had ended, the vet saw no extra bleeding or anything and the surgery went very smoothly.
But after that we almost lost her because her respiratory infection or whatever it is they have got real active, we suspect a bacterial infection may have taken place.
Fortunately my vet pumped her full of all sorts of antibiotics and pills, at no additional costs mind you and saved her life. My vet doesn't want the same happening to Kala because she too carries that thing and neither do we so we're trying our best to get her fixed at just the right time.

Well even after recovering Milla would still call, chances are she was either not fully out of heat or a new cycle was beginning.
Milla wouldn't stop cycling every 10 days, much like Kala does now, at least for the two and a half months she had her kittens with her she was good, but as soon as all the kittens were taken and only Kala was left she activated.

Kala cycles every 10-12 days too with heats lasting about 5-7 days
but unlike Milla who was very loud and genuinely had a hard time with her heats, Kala is very very quiet and generally not a bother, plus she eats well when she is in the mood.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

Wow, that's really frequent for heats, please do regular mammary checks on both girls, the more frequent they go into heat, the more likely they are to get mammary tumours, even after neutering
Joe_Danger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Joe_Danger »

Yeah, that's why I wanted Milla fixed BEFORE she matured sexually but my vet as do many other vets here refuses to fix cats before they're sexually mature.
We wouldn't have had the kittens tho lol
Kala on the other hand simply wasn't ready to be fixed that early but there was an opening for a potentially successful procedure but again my vet wouldn't do it.

We fixed Anastasia at 4.5 months, before her first heat but that vet is terrible in general even tho he agreed to do this, so we didn't want to go back there. This vet is very kind, loving and goes out of her way to make sure her patients get healthy, but she is set in her old ways, tho I'd rather have that than an incompetent and not caring vet :) At least my vet genuinely cares about every single animal people bring in.