What Breed/Color is this Cat?

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
Chelsea_Allen
New Cat Chatter

What Breed/Color is this Cat?

Post by Chelsea_Allen »

Can anyone please tell me what breed and color this cat is?
Attachments
milo2.jpg
milo.jpg
milo.jpg (80.85 KiB) Viewed 2143 times
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: What Breed/Color is this Cat?

Post by Lilith »

Hi and welcome :)

That is one very pretty kitty!

He/she is a tabby point, but not necessarily a specific breed. There are so many cats who carry 'pedigree' blood and if this cat has had a pointed parent who has mated with another cat who is pointed or who carries the pointed gene, this is what you get (points must be shown in one parent and shown or carried by the other parent for the kittens to be pointed, though even this isn't always guaranteed.) I'm assuming his/her eyes are blue, as is usually the case.

Points occur in Siamese (of course) and a whole lot of other breeds so pretty kitty's ancestry could be anything - however, a cat is a cat is a cat and this one is gorgeous - is he/she yours? :)

Hope this makes sense - I'm not an expert on genetics and all that :D
Last edited by Lilith on Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chelsea_Allen
New Cat Chatter

Post by Chelsea_Allen »

He was mine unfortunately we recently lost him and was hoping to find another cat with similar markings.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Ah, very very sorry to hear.

There's an article here -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Point_coloration

which lists breeds of cats with point colouration, hope this helps.

I was once owned by a tabby-point Siamese - they are fabulous cats, hope you find a successor to your boy :)
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

Where did you get him from?
Chelsea_Allen
New Cat Chatter

Post by Chelsea_Allen »

We rescued him from a park where he had apparently been living for a while.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

So he could have come from anywhere then ...

There's a member on here (Hi Mr Frisky) who has the most stunning tortie-point who was born in a feral litter in his back garden - those Siamese/colourpoint genes get everywhere. Booktigger too has mentioned a litter born to a feral mother who came out pointed.

Might be worth combing the online ads for a tabby-point - and don't forget the rescues in your area either - https://www.catchat.org/index.php/cat-r ... uk-ireland - there might be an adult tabby-point needing a good home in your area, as well as the pedigree rescues who may have the cat meant for you - good luck :)
Chelsea_Allen
New Cat Chatter

Post by Chelsea_Allen »

Thank you. We have been to every shelter we can find within a two hour drive with no luck so far. We know we want to adopt one though for sure. I have his pictures posted on several sites looking for once similar so now I guess we will just have to wait.
papa cat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 0

Post by papa cat »

I would suggest it might not be a good idea to try and replace a lost or deceased cat with one that is virtually identical.
They all have different characters and although you might find one that looks the same it probably won't behave the same.
You might like the different behaviour but you might just not !
I lost a tricolour (calico) cat a few years ago and I am glad now that I didn't try to replace her with an identical or similar one as the cats I adopted are both completely different from her, and from each other!
A cats markings are not necessarily an indicator of how it will behave.
MarySkater
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by MarySkater »

If a cat of a particular appearance gives you pleasure, I don't see any harm in looking for a similar one. I really liked the look of my fluffy tortie Bridie:
Bridie enjoying the sofa.jpg
When I lost her, I spent some time looking for another fluffy tortie, until I found Ria:
6 Ria by box.JPG
I never expected Ria to be the same cat as Bridie - for a start, Bridie was adult when I adopted her and Ria was a kitten. And I haven't favoured either of my torties over my "plain" tuxedo Rocky. But I just like having a glamour-puss in the house.