Cat and horse

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
MarySkater
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Cat and horse

Post by MarySkater »

Found this video of a cat that sits on a horse. I'm wary of videos that intentionally put animals into "cute" situations, but in this case I don't think either of the subjects was distressed - although on balance, I think the cat would have preferred the horse to remain a static "warm sofa" in the stable, rather than all the out-and-about stuff. I'm quite impressed with the way they got the horse to go where it should, with nobody leading it. Presumably a handler was giving it voice commands from behind the camera.

https://www.facebook.com/weloveanimalss ... 950069662/
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Cat and horse

Post by Lilith »

Hi Mary, couldn't watch video as I don't do facebook - but got a glimpse and that was enough.

The cat is a Siamese. Siamese are ALWAYS in control ... :lol:
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: Cat and horse

Post by Ruth B »

Definitely a case of humans giving commands out of shot, or rattling a bucket of feed to make it follow them. I also notice that there is always a nice thick blanket on the horse when the cat it riding it so no chance of claws inadvertently going into the horse and hurting it.

Cats and horse can get on very well, most cats are intelligent enough to know which horses are safe to be around and they are still one of the best methods for keeping the number of rodents down around a stable, most horses would rather have a cat visit there box occasionally than have mice running around in the straw.

When i was a child I did have a horse on loan and one time when i was grooming him I noticed he had a rather dejected, put upon, expression, a quick look around soon revealed a little kitten slowly making its way up his tail. Fortunately he was a very placid welsh cob, Clydesdale cross who just stood there and let the kitten climb, never once kicking out at it. Of course once spotted, it was removed and place back in the empty stall used to store the straw and hay, and where most of the barn cats spent their time.