Intact Male acting Female.

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
jaxx311
Returning Cat Chatter

Intact Male acting Female.

Post by jaxx311 »

So. as the title states I have an intact(well has only one testicle) male kitten roughly 7 months old named Rhayven. He has been meowing howling Caterwauling making all kinds of noise like a female in heat would, rolling around etc pretty much non stop for a couple months.

As of late it is getting more frequent and louder. I have another intact male roughly 5 months old named Spock (both are waiting to get fixed after shots etc). Now Rhayven tends to molest Spock on a daily basis. It doesn't look like dominance or play fighting what-so-ever. Rhayven while doing so is quite vocal not growling or hissing etc but Caterwauling acting very female in heat like. He is also very feminine looking for a male as well. Very slender and long but short. where as Spock is very much a tom cat looking male big paws chunky short but solid if that makes any sense. Lol

I know no one is actually getting hurt during this but I just find it odd for a male cat to behave like this constantly especially one as what I would have considered as passive and not Alpha in the slightest which is why I say its not dominance. I have had cats all my life and I have never encountered this any of this unless the cat was female.

The kittens see the vet on the 12th of March for shots and check ups so will find out more then but, I am just wondering if anyone has had a cat like this. Yes! I am sure he is a one nutted male. No chance on the *outside* anyway, that he is female Lol. :lol:
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Intact Male acting Female.

Post by Lilith »

Hi and welcome :)

Wow, quite theatrical, bless him, but I'd discuss it thoroughly with your vet as an undescended testicle can be complicated - I heard of one cat whose missing ball was found down his trouser leg, poor guy :o

When I was a kid my mother bought a terrier whose testicles just never appeared ... he was an aggressive little sod but that might just have been his breed. I feel he might have been calmed down by neutering though.

I don't know if I'm helping much, as I'd guess at it being a dominance thing. I once bred Siamese and I had a girl who only fancied my neutered Siamese cross boy and refused the stud, so she was spayed - but she would mount a queen in call ... what goings on! :lol: But I reckon that was dominance; she was a very strong character. I think with two young entire males you are going to get these fun and games until they're neutered.

Poor old Rhayven, and good on you for taking him on - please do keep in touch and let us know what happens, it's an unusual problem and could help other readers too if their cats have the same complications.

All the best :)
jaxx311
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by jaxx311 »

Lilith wrote:Hi and welcome :)

Wow, quite theatrical, bless him, but I'd discuss it thoroughly with your vet as an undescended testicle can be complicated - I heard of one cat whose missing ball was found down his trouser leg, poor guy :o

When I was a kid my mother bought a terrier whose testicles just never appeared ... he was an aggressive little sod but that might just have been his breed. I feel he might have been calmed down by neutering though.

I don't know if I'm helping much, as I'd guess at it being a dominance thing. I once bred Siamese and I had a girl who only fancied my neutered Siamese cross boy and refused the stud, so she was spayed - but she would mount a queen in call ... what goings on! :lol: But I reckon that was dominance; she was a very strong character. I think with two young entire males you are going to get these fun and games until they're neutered.

Poor old Rhayven, and good on you for taking him on - please do keep in touch and let us know what happens, it's an unusual problem and could help other readers too if their cats have the same complications.

All the best :)
Haha, yes, he really is quite the character. He is also very loving and big on attention especially, when you are trying to sleep! Yes It was one of the first things I mentioned to my vet. They just told me, they would do that required surgery if the testicle had not dropped by the time he was 10 months old, Which gives me the time to get them all their shots etc.

Wow that poor kitty :(. Really hope that's not the case with Rhayven.

Yeah, odds are even though he didn't produce he would have been better off fixed.

I guess it could be dominance. It more than likely is, it just seems so weird with how he acts. I was possibly thinking intersex. He just comes off as very confused. Lol

Yes, poor old Rhayven indeed. He is very very different from when I got him. Was a very shy quiet kitten who would sleep on the floor/hide, hated the couch and blankets, was like that for a couple months. Now he doesn't stop talking/yelling/a whole lot of other noises, always wants's attention and belly rubs. Even like I said, while I am sleeping. He wakes me up all the time, haha.

Very forceful with his loving side to the point of mauling me, haha. He also like to touch people, he always has to have his paws touching your face or hands and he has never once bit me either in play or aggression, unlike Spock, but he is a Tabby so I let it slide Haha. He is a very weird yet funny cute kitten.

I will for sure keep updating on his situation. Thank you for replying :D :D All the best to you as well.
MarySkater
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by MarySkater »

jaxx311 wrote: I was possibly thinking intersex.
Well, that was my thought when I read your post. He's showing one testicle - might he be concealing an ovary? Hermaphrodites are rare in any species, but it's possible.

Do you know TS Eliot's poem about "Magical Mr Mistoffelees," the original conjuring cat?
"And not long ago this phenomenal Cat
Produced seven kittens right out of a hat!"

Let's hope not!
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

LOL! :lol:

Ah yes, but doesn't a 'harumphrodite' as Kipling put it, need another hermaphrodite to produce?

Like earthworms?

I may not be accurate - memories of fourth-form biology lessons at Wakefield Girls' High School ... now today gels we are going to dissect the earthworm ... ewww. One earthworm and a scalpel to each pair of girls, oh barf.

Mind you it got quite exciting, the day we did the bull's eye. There was only one (probably left over from the school dinners) so the teacher dealt with that.

Now, gels, this is the cornea, this is the retina ... and poor old Denise Thingy, perched on a stool at the back of the crowd round the bench, fainted and went crash bang wallop ... and I remember no more about the bull's eye and neither did any of us ... :lol:

Denise Thing was quite ok, I hasten to add.
jaxx311
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by jaxx311 »

MarySkater wrote:
jaxx311 wrote: I was possibly thinking intersex.
Well, that was my thought when I read your post. He's showing one testicle - might he be concealing an ovary? Hermaphrodites are rare in any species, but it's possible.

Do you know TS Eliot's poem about "Magical Mr Mistoffelees," the original conjuring cat?
"And not long ago this phenomenal Cat
Produced seven kittens right out of a hat!"

Let's hope not!
Yeah it is quite possible and in his case with how he acts, looks etc it just might be it. Lol My Mother just seems to think he is inbred, which again is likely. He came from a farm and I don't have any history on him.

But whatever it might be either way hes loved and happy :D

No, I honestly have never heard of that poem Lol

Agreed let's hope not :P
jaxx311
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by jaxx311 »

Lilith wrote:LOL! :lol:

Ah yes, but doesn't a 'harumphrodite' as Kipling put it, need another hermaphrodite to produce?

Like earthworms?

I may not be accurate - memories of fourth-form biology lessons at Wakefield Girls' High School ... now today gels we are going to dissect the earthworm ... ewww. One earthworm and a scalpel to each pair of girls, oh barf.

Mind you it got quite exciting, the day we did the bull's eye. There was only one (probably left over from the school dinners) so the teacher dealt with that.

Now, gels, this is the cornea, this is the retina ... and poor old Denise Thingy, perched on a stool at the back of the crowd round the bench, fainted and went crash bang wallop ... and I remember no more about the bull's eye and neither did any of us ... :lol:

Denise Thing was quite ok, I hasten to add.
Lol quite the story :P but as far as I know most intersex cats are sterile and wouldn't require another intersex cat to reproduce because they can't reproduce. Worms have two sets of functioning male/female parts. Mostly everything else that is intersex (that wasn't meant to be) is sterile and both parts aren't 100% functioning.. apparently lol
jaxx311
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by jaxx311 »

https://i.gyazo.com/fa2e21a030663cf9fd2 ... 403b51.jpg Rhayven @ 8-10 weeks old ( I have no recent pics being my phone died :P)

https://i.gyazo.com/5e2ce923442d4c2925a ... 91f8b2.jpg Spock @ 4-5 weeks old (The person he came from claimed he was older 6-8 weeks I didn't pick him up he was brought to me but being he could barely walk with out tripping and was super clumsy and his eyes didn't change colour for quite some time he was much younger)
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Lol Jaxx, sorry, I do get carried away at times (you may have noticed) but it's all true - especially about the school dinners ... :x :shock:

Yes, Rhayven would probably be sterile, like a mule, and I THINK a hermaphrodite does need another hermaphrodite ... well, more fun anyway unless it's antisocial ... (shurrup Lil!)

Mind you, as Mary says, cats can always surprise you ... the poem concerned is from TS Eliot's 'Old Possum's book of Practical Cats' - it is COOL :D

Rhayven's behaviour and appearance sounds as if he might have some Siamese in his ancestry - they are very sociable and like to bat you with a paw for attention, as well as being slender and willowy.

Your little guys are gorgeous but oh dear me - 4-5 weeks? :shock: Thank goodness Spock found you, sounds as if he's grown up in good health, was probably better off with you :)

Good luck with the neutering, hope all goes well :)