New here! Advice Needed on leaving cat while on vacation

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
kellic1969
New Cat Chatter

New here! Advice Needed on leaving cat while on vacation

Post by kellic1969 »

Hi everyone!

I have a beautiful calico named meow meow who we rescued back in December. She is currently 10 months old. She LOVES being around us all the time and is just an all around great cat, we are very lucky. Every year we take a trip to the beach, 6 hours away and stay for 5 days. This year we will be doing the same. I'm so worried that she will be so lonely while we are gone. I will be having my sister in law come visit her daily to play with her an clean her litter box while we are away. I'm assuming that it is less stressful for a cat to stay in their familiar surroundings whether than go stay with someone right? Even an attached cat like ours? Eons ago, I had a cat that was very very independent and didn't care if we were around or not and didnt' care that we took vacations. This one is different. Should she stay home and have sister in law visit or go stay with my sister in law at her house? Ugh, I can't decided lol. I just want the best for her. :)
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: New here! Advice Needed on leaving cat while on vacation

Post by Lilith »

Hi and welcome :)

Yes, I think your first plan sounds ideal, for her to stay in familiar surroundings with someone coming in to care for her.

I know someone whose father had to go into hospital for a while; his cat knew her well but had never taken much notice of her. But when she had to go in every day to look after the cat, oh, well, what a difference - oh, you're my human now! Headbutts and fussings.

They can be bewildered, they can sulk on your return, but as a rule this is shortlived; cats know which side their bread is buttered. She is a lucky girl to have all this concern and you shouldn't feel guilty about a few days away while leaving her in her own home and in good hands - enjoy your holiday :)
kellic1969
New Cat Chatter

Re: New here! Advice Needed on leaving cat while on vacation

Post by kellic1969 »

Hi! and thank you so much!! Your right, she will be fine, and my sister in law will enjoy getting to spend some time with her. :D