Introducing New kitten to old cat.

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
Jayel32018
New Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 2

Introducing New kitten to old cat.

Post by Jayel32018 »

Hi,

Wasn’t sure where to post this question, but I recently got a new kitten and I’m not sure if it’s okay to leave them together for long periods of time. They like to chase each other and seem to like to play fight but the little one sometimes still hisses. I’ve had cats all my life but I’ve never had an issue as to they half liked each other. I am normally able to tell when it’s okay to fully let them stay around each other when I’m gone. One minute it seems like play fighting then I hear her hiss. She never swung at the older cat just hisses and then ends up running and getting away. It’s been a couple weeks so I know they’re still getting used to each other but I’m not sure if I should keep them separate longer. I don’t seem to how problems leaving them out together at night when I go to bed (I live in a studio so I hear everything they’re doing). It’s just confusing cause it’s like she wants to play but then turns around and hisses every now and then.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Introducing New kitten to old cat.

Post by Lilith »

Hi, and welcome :)

Sounds about normal and as if they're shaking down together okay. A hiss can be conversational, as if the kitten's agreeing, ok, you're boss, and not too much to worry about. One kitten I had, slept on my shoulder the first night but hissed every time I breathed lol ... as if she was saying, ok I trust you but I don't know you properly yet. She grew into a super-placid cat. It can go either way, a kitten and an older cat; usually the youngster is deferential to elder cat and follows it about and even gets invited to play with older cat's tail, if privileged, though once I saw a VERY dignified older cat flinch from a tiny month-old bundle of fluff who went 'meeewwwewwwewww!' at her ...

Bit like this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r395r7V7hjo

I did have another dignified older cat who growled at kittens - and then washed them when he thought I wasn't looking.

Sounds to me like your two are settling ok and it's good that the older cat will play. Of course keep an eye on them and make sure that kitten isn't being chased or bullied but if kitten keeps playing and coming back for more and older cat seems unfazed, it does sound as if all is well :)
Last edited by Lilith on Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jayel32018
New Cat Chatter

Post by Jayel32018 »

Hi, & thanks!

That’s what I was thinking, it’s just any new cat I’ve ever brought home before it was a clear I like you or I don’t type of situation. My older cats loves other animals and even stayed at my parents for awhile which they had 2 cats, so when I brought him back to my place I figured I’d get another cat so he wouldn’t be lonely while I’m gone all day. He was a little surprised for the first couple of days and then eventually seemed to get used to it. When I leave I keep her in the bathroom with a separate litter box and food, but if I’m home I let her stay out with him. & from what I can see I think it’s pretty even the kitten chases the older cat & vice versa so I don’t think she’s gerring bullied my older cat is more of a goofball. He sometimes just pats her on the head gently. I guess he’s confused because she’s basically identical to him just a tiny version lol. Thanks for the response!
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Janey »

Hi and welcome,
It sounds as if all is going ok between the two. The hissing from your kitten is probably just a little bit of brovado going on towards her bigger pal, and her just telling him to back off a bit? It all sounds normal anyway and I wouldn’t worry so long as they’re not proper fighting. I once fostered two sibling kittens and they used to used to look like they they were having a right fight, but loved each other loads. Your two will have to establish boundaries with one another and the hissing and tapping are just their ways of doing that.
Jayel32018
New Cat Chatter

Post by Jayel32018 »

Okay, thank you guys for the responses! That’s what I figured but just wanted to be sure! :D