questionable cat behavior maybe?

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
emojesus
New Cat Chatter

questionable cat behavior maybe?

Post by emojesus »

so my cat, bean, had another litter of kittens 2 weeks ago. we have 2 other cats from a previous litter she had 8 months ago: a boy (mit) and a girl (catlas). mit has just recently started to be caring for bean’s new litter as if they were his own but he’s technically they’re brother.

is this normal? should i be concerned?
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: questionable cat behavior maybe?

Post by Lilith »

Hi and welcome :)

Bless him! This can happen - I used to breed Siamese and a boy I'd kept from the first litter did the same thing with the last kitten (sole survivor of litter due to hormone problems) his mother had. He kind of drew the line about washing though, like when the mother washes the kittens' backsides, you know, to stimulate their waste products ... his face was a picture!

There are a couple of things you might need to watch out for though - the big boy may want to start drinking mother's milk again, and she needs this for the new kittens, so don't let him. Also he may be tempted to play, and bat the kittens around like mice. So you may need to supervise.

And, I have to say this, unless you're breeding pedigrees, it would be as well to consider neutering mother and any other unneutered cats you have - the amount of unwanted and unneutered moggie cats and kittens is horrendous.

Sorry if I sound hypocritical - I did stop breeding in 1990 because it was awful, selling kittens.

But all the best to the new babies and their big brother! :)