Female Cat Spraying Indoors

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
jb12
Frequent Cat Chatter

Female Cat Spraying Indoors

Post by jb12 »

I would love advice/thoughts regarding female spraying behaviour please.
Susie is 7 and neutered, adopted roughly 3 months ago, she has in the last few weeks suddenly started spraying one side of the lounge daily (possibly more given the rather unpleasant smell that greets me every morning)
Some websites allude to her being stressed - having been home every day since she arrived, in the last few weeks I have returned to work so away all day. Could this be the reason.
Also last year there was a mouse issue that was dealt with but Im now wondering if indeed just because I havent seen them they could still be under the house and causing her to 'mark' her territory.
All thoroughly confusing.
Any help most welcome, thx
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Female Cat Spraying Indoors

Post by Janey »

I would bet it’s you going out all day that’s the issue if all is well otherwise.

PS - I replied to your other thread about you having to leave her now, so rather than repeat myself I’ve copied my reply to that here:

"Susie is bound to be missing you somewhat but as to whether it will bother her too much is hard to say unless as Lilith says, she seems clingier now, or her behaviour changes in some way. In which case, just a thought... would it be possible to add another cat to your family to keep her company? if she likes other cats, and you could afford it of course? If not you could leave lots of toys for her to play with, things such as ping pong balls (my cat will play on her own with those) are worth a try and those toys with a few treats in, or dry food for her to have get out herself, to keep her entertained. Either way, I hope all turns out ok, do let us know.”

This may help too:

https://www.catchat.org/index.php/cat-t ... ay-indoors
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

cats sometimes spray to warn off possible intruders - is there a window in the wall she is spraying, which she can see out of? just wondering if she has seen another cat outside and that has bothered her
jb12
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by jb12 »

[quote="Janey"]I would bet it’s you going out all day that’s the issue if all is well otherwise.

PS - I replied to your other thread about you having to leave her now, so rather than repeat myself I’ve copied my reply to that here:

"Susie is bound to be missing you somewhat but as to whether it will bother her too much is hard to say unless as Lilith says, she seems clingier now, or her behaviour changes in some way. In which case, just a thought... would it be possible to add another cat to your family to keep her company? if she likes other cats, and you could afford it of course? If not you could leave lots of toys for her to play with, things such as ping pong balls (my cat will play on her own with those) are worth a try and those toys with a few treats in, or dry food for her to have get out herself, to keep her entertained. Either way, I hope all turns out ok, do let us know.”

This may help too:

https://www.catchat.org/index.php/cat-t ... ay-indoors[/quote]

Hi Janey
Apologies for not responding to your previous post, truly appreciate your thoughts.
The main issue with your suggestions is that Susie seems a hugely complicated cat (what cat isnt i suppose). I was not given any background of her previous homes but I'm pretty certain adding another cat into the scenario would not be something she would enjoy (as a single child I recognise her traits) - She seems happy but it definitely feels like she has some baggage which I have yet to unpack. When i was here all week she would change daily from being present and chatty to the next day just staying in her basket. So all in all she isnt mad about toys, when Ive tried to play she practically rolls her eyes, before leaving the room.

I'll check out the link you sent, thank you, and in the meantime I can say that she gets lots of fusses (when she allows) and gives them when she fancies..
Again thanks for your response, and absolutely will keep you posted x
jb12
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by jb12 »

[quote="Kay"]cats sometimes spray to warn off possible intruders - is there a window in the wall she is spraying, which she can see out of? just wondering if she has seen another cat outside and that has bothered her[/quote]

Hi Kay
Thanks for your response.
Re other cats - not to my knowledge, its purely wall she is spraying on, but your thought about intruders is why i asked if could possibly be a mouse issue
x
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

I doubt the presence of mice would cause spraying - in my experience it causes lengthy spells of stealthy staking out near the source of the mice smell and sounds, in hopes they will emerge at some stage - but that doesn't mean your girl is not capable of being an exception to this rule!

it's an odd one - best bet I would think is to get rid of all urine smell, as that will encourage her back while it's there, and if possible move furniture around to keep her away from the chosen spot - or spray it with something like Urine Off
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

This is good stuff, Nature's Miracle. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00 ... UTF8&psc=1

It's expensive but you get loads for your money, and a bit messy, but it does neutralise the smell. Makes carpets sticky though, have to shampoo afterwards but seems to deter the miscreant.

I do sympathise, I once had a dreadful cat known as the Leopard. Three-quarter Siamese, a gorgeous dark tortie, had her since a small kitten, lived to be 15, and she was cock of the walk, bullied everyone, including me - but she sprayed, oh and our Leopard NEVER changed her spots! I now have one who's quite similar and every so often, though she doesn't spray, she treats me to a crafty piddle ... tried extra trays, different litter, puppy pads, the lot ... again, full of herself, bullies everyone, fancies herself, sorry I can't help re cat psychology but the Nature's Miracle does smell better than cat wee.

Good luck with your girl :)
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by fjm »

I had a huge problem with Rosie, a spayed female who got extremely anxious when my other cat was killed on the road. It was a bit of a perfect storm for her, poor thing - not only was I working long hours, but Toby was no longer there to deter the visiting cat who would leer through the window and occasionally even venture through the cat flap. She sprayed everywhere to mark her territory, and licked her tummy bare with frantic overgrooming. Stopping visitor cat was the first step, and a really good enzyme cleaner got rid of the smell, but it took anti-anxiety medication for a few months plus confining her to a small, safe place and gradually letting her rediscover the rest of the house for her to rebuild her confidence. I don’t think Feliway existed in those days, or I would have given that a try, but I think she would still have needed the medication.