Adopting a Cat

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Adopting a Cat

Post by Kay »

I think both of you are doing fantastically well - I have never had a cat who allowed me to fuss him or her on day one, but plenty who have hidden away for days, even weeks

it would be awful to put her back in a pen unless it was a complete disaster - she'll be fine

you might want to bring in some grass for her to eat - mine like slightly coarse stuff like couch grass - she'll sick it up almost immediately but eating grass is natural for most cats, and is probably why she is nibbling your houseplants

good luck with keeping her off kitchen worktops - only old age stopped mine!
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by fjm »

It sounds to me as if she is settling in fast - I absolutely understand the "What have I done?!" feeling, but I think it will pass quickly. If she is already snuggling and snoozing with you after a few hours rather than hiding in a dark corner under a bed you are already ahead of the game! I suspect that she will enjoy a few hours alone to explore her new kingdom, and will be even more relaxed when you get back from work. The first few days are always rather anxious, and another dip often seems to come after a couple of weeks, when the newcomer builds up enough confidence to test the boundaries a bit. I look forward to discovering who wins the battle of the houseplants and benches...!
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

It's sounding promising, I'd confine her again for a bit, depending on her background it could be a bit overwhelming for her, the sick was probably just stress. I'd keep things as normal as possible, don't stop doing things like watching TV
AndyMac
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 0

Post by AndyMac »

Thanks again for the advice - I went to bed and heard her walking about the house. She woke me up a few times and heard her using the litter tray. I woke up and she was snuggled up beside me and looked at me as if to say 'I was sleeping' - she has eaten this morning and had a poo in the litter tray but again she is investigating the house and at times she looks at me and runs away and other times she is looking constant attention.

She will be alone for at least 5 hours today so I dont know what to expect when i get home but hope she hasnt done any damage to herself or the house. I have decided to let her run about the whole house as she seems to prefer my bed rather than the cat bed I got.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

The fact that she is eating and toileting so early on is a good thing, and snuggling up beside you is a really positive sign!
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Ruth B »

It sounds like things are going really well. I normally don't worry too much if they don't eat or use the litter tray for the first 24 hours, so if she is eating and everything already she is quickly settling in. If she is happy to explore then I don't see much of a problem with letting her as long as she can't get outside anywhere, as long as she knows there is a safe place to run to and hide if she feels the need.

If she is a plant eater I would suggest spending a little time on Google and making sure that non of them are harmful to her.

As far as keeping her off the kitchen sides goes, good luck. A certain lad of mine knows he isn't allowed on the side, but when i catch him at it he just gives me the 'yeah, what' look and jumps off before i can really tell him off. I always have moment of panic when I visit somewhere that doesn't have cats and see food left out on the side, I then remember I'm not at home.
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Janey »

Glad to hear Mia is safely home. I am sure she’ll be fine (when she realises she’ll be spoilt rotten lol :D ) Just a thought about her being sick, it could be the stress of it all but I know a lot of cats that can’t eat Dreamies so would be worth keeping an eye on that. My own cat can’t eat them, and one of my foster cats, when I fostered, was sick after eating them and I know of others the same so just thought I’d mention.
Best of luck and keep us updated!
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Welcome home Mia :D

Lovely that she's already snuggling up against you - hope she's now settling in and fully recovered from the stress of the move - all the best with her :D
AndyMac
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by AndyMac »

Well Mia owns the house now - she has investigated every room and struts about the place, still a bit skittish with noise but she is coping really well - she is running around the house jumping onto everything, she woke me up a few times last night playing with her toys. I got her a cat tree from Pets-at-Home yesterday but she doesnt seem to interested in it.

I tried the grass thing where I cut a sod of grass and brought it into the house on a saucer and wet the grass with water - she had a good nibble and decided to drag the sod onto the mat so wet soil everywhere. She has been curious about the garden watching me go out the back door and and I know I am supposed to keep her in for 4 weeks but decided to let her out this morning - she ventured up the side of the house and eventually into the back garden were she ate a lot of grass. I kept very close to her in case any other cat was about and she had a good wander around for 20 mins and then gradually I managed to coax her back in. With such nice weather it seems a shame to keep her inside. I got a cat harness but could not get her into it so gave up on the idea and she is more interested in playing with the lead.
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Janey »

AndyMac wrote: She has been curious about the garden watching me go out the back door and and I know I am supposed to keep her in for 4 weeks but decided to let her out this morning - she ventured up the side of the house and eventually into the back garden were she ate a lot of grass. I kept very close to her in case any other cat was about and she had a good wander around for 20 mins and then gradually I managed to coax her back in. With such nice weather it seems a shame to keep her inside. I got a cat harness but could not get her into it so gave up on the idea and she is more interested in playing with the lead.
So glad that Mia has settled in so well, but PLEASE be very careful about letting her out. I wouldn’t let her out for at least 2 weeks, unless there was no way of her escaping, in case she went missing. I totally understand how you feel with it being so warm etc, but would definitely use the harness if you want to take her out, and definitely not on her own yet as I say unless there’s no way she can get out of your garden, please do save yourself the worry. Fusses to her xx
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

AndyMac wrote:Well Mia owns the house now - she has investigated every room and struts about the place, still a bit skittish with noise but she is coping really well - she is running around the house jumping onto everything, she woke me up a few times last night playing with her toys. I got her a cat tree from Pets-at-Home yesterday but she doesnt seem to interested in it.

I tried the grass thing where I cut a sod of grass and brought it into the house on a saucer and wet the grass with water - she had a good nibble and decided to drag the sod onto the mat so wet soil everywhere. She has been curious about the garden watching me go out the back door and and I know I am supposed to keep her in for 4 weeks but decided to let her out this morning - she ventured up the side of the house and eventually into the back garden were she ate a lot of grass. I kept very close to her in case any other cat was about and she had a good wander around for 20 mins and then gradually I managed to coax her back in. With such nice weather it seems a shame to keep her inside. I got a cat harness but could not get her into it so gave up on the idea and she is more interested in playing with the lead.
I know it is tempting, but as I said before, a few weeks is nothing when you think of the years she has to explore, and especially as she is still skittish with noise, it isn't worth the risk. Staying close to her wouldn't necessarily prevent anything happening and as she hasn't known you for very long, she may not respond well outside, she has to be good at coming to you inside first.
AndyMac
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by AndyMac »

So glad that Mia has settled in so well, but PLEASE be very careful about letting her out. I wouldn’t let her out for at least 2 weeks, unless there was no way of her escaping, in case she went missing. I totally understand how you feel with it being so warm etc, but would definitely use the harness if you want to take her out, and definitely not on her own yet as I say unless there’s no way she can get out of your garden, please do save yourself the worry. Fusses to her xx[/quote]

On reflection I totally agree and I should have not let her out earlier. I will try her with the harness around the house until she gets used to wearing it.
AndyMac
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by AndyMac »

booktigger wrote:
AndyMac wrote:I know it is tempting, but as I said before, a few weeks is nothing when you think of the years she has to explore, and especially as she is still skittish with noise, it isn't worth the risk. Staying close to her wouldn't necessarily prevent anything happening and as she hasn't known you for very long, she may not respond well outside, she has to be good at coming to you inside first.
Yes booktigger I agree she can await a while longer before getting into the garden. I will get chicken wire toady for part of the hedge that cats get into the garden but the remainder of the garden is quite secure with fencing but I suppose it would be nothing to her to jump over.
MarySkater
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by MarySkater »

My cats are contained in a run. However, I have a "just in case" strategy. Both of mine love Dreamies. I made a rattle, a few bits of cat litter in a plastic bottle. Every now and then I shake the rattle and give them some treats. They both come running to the sound of the rattle now. Once, Ria got out of the run as I was going through the gate. She made it to the far side of the garden, and was contemplating the wooden fence there. I didn't chase her, I went back into the kitchen, fetched rattle and treats, and got her back that way.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

AndyMac wrote:So glad that Mia has settled in so well, but PLEASE be very careful about letting her out. I wouldn’t let her out for at least 2 weeks, unless there was no way of her escaping, in case she went missing. I totally understand how you feel with it being so warm etc, but would definitely use the harness if you want to take her out, and definitely not on her own yet as I say unless there’s no way she can get out of your garden, please do save yourself the worry. Fusses to her xx
On reflection I totally agree and I should have not let her out earlier. I will try her with the harness around the house until she gets used to wearing it.[/quote]

I wouldn't bother much with the harness, I've known very few cats who tolerate them