I wish people would learn...

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
MarySkater
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

I wish people would learn...

Post by MarySkater »

My neighbours have a very pretty tortoiseshell cat, between 1 and 2 years old. I know they used to keep her as an indoor cat, so when I saw her in my garden today, I wondered if she'd escaped. My cats were inside at the time, so I coaxed the neighbour cat into my cat enclosure and shut the gate, so she was contained. Then I went and knocked on neighbour's door and asked if their cat was supposed to be out. The lady said yes, it's fine, they used to keep her in but now they allow her out. So I said okay, I'll let her out of my cat pen and she can go on her way.

Neighbour then said, "We think she's pregnant."

:roll: She's an adult female, roaming free. If she's not neutered, of course she's pregnant! I know of at least one entire male that comes round our gardens regularly. I didn't say much. But if the neighbours later come knocking at my door to ask if I want a kitten, I may try to offer some tactful advice.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: I wish people would learn...

Post by Lilith »

Arrggghhhhh GRRRRRRRR! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

As they will ... the times people have thought about me, oh she likes cats, she'll take him/her/them ...

I don't think many people DO think; they seem brainwashed NOT to think. Everything quick and easy and Disney ... :twisted: :x

Good luck.
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by fjm »

I remember the woman who runs a local boarding cattery telling me about a feline staying there. She suspected the cat was pregnant when it arrived - a week later she was certain. When questioned, the cat's owner said it was not possible as the cat lived indoors. A bit more questioning elicited the response "Well, yes, we do have another cat, but he is her brother..."

I learned my lesson young. An adult entire female cat is pregnant, nursing, or yelling her head off and climbing the walls to find a mate. If you are lucky, there may be as much as 4 consecutive weeks when she is doing none of these things, but that is about the maximum!
MarySkater
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarySkater »

I don't feel I can really interfere unless they do ask me to take a kitten. (Maybe they'll get lucky and their cat isn't pregnant after all - she's not bulging at the moment. But I wouldn't count on that.) But if they do get stuck with a litter, I thought maybe I could print them out an information leaflet from Cats Protection or similar, something to detail how often a female cat will breed. And add the phone number of the local CP, who can assist with neutering costs if the family are low-income.

I just looked up my vet bill for getting Ria spayed, 18 months ago. £66. Really, why would you NOT do it?!
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Janey »

MarySkater wrote:I don't feel I can really interfere unless they do ask me to take a kitten. (Maybe they'll get lucky and their cat isn't pregnant after all - she's not bulging at the moment. But I wouldn't count on that.) But if they do get stuck with a litter, I thought maybe I could print them out an information leaflet from Cats Protection or similar, something to detail how often a female cat will breed. And add the phone number of the local CP, who can assist with neutering costs if the family are low-income.

I just looked up my vet bill for getting Ria spayed, 18 months ago. £66. Really, why would you NOT do it?!
I would say something, would just come out I’m afraid, in a nice tone :) through gritted teeth maybe, because there’s so many cats in rescue. I think the leaflet’s a great idea as well with all the info. as some folks just don’t understand (some don’t want to) I’ve been there. If you say something, a hint even, at least you’ve tried.
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Ruth B »

I have to agree, if possible you need to say something. Perhaps you could suggest that if they are in doubt they take her to the vets to see what they think, the vet might then convince them to have the kittens aborted and her spayed if they aren't well developed, or at least have her spayed ASAP afterwards. I know some people don't agree with aborting pregnancies of any type, but there are so many kittens already which need homes, it is just adding to the unwanted cats out there.

You could also suggest as they have now started letting her roam have they considered getting her spayed to stop it happening again.

You don't need to be nasty or condescending, just start by asking if it is something she has thought of now the situation has changed.

I couldn't imagining living with an unneutered male or female cat, I don't know how people do it unless they are wanting to breed them professionally.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

when my neighbour owned Tiffany, and kept her shut up in a small extension 24/7, he didn't see why she needed to be spayed, but as I was determined to get her out of captivity one day, I told him he could get a grant from CP to get her done, and gave him the money myself - he was earning more than me but it was worth it, as he couldn't resist a freebie, and he never found it it was me who payed

if you know your neighbour would be entitled to a £5 spay it would be perhaps easier to bring the subject up, or pass on the relevant leaflet
MarySkater
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarySkater »

I looked on the website of my local CP branch, and found this:
"We are running another Assisted Neutering Campaign from 27th February to 31st March 2018. "
So based on that, they may not be in line for a cheap spay this year.

I'm very wary of appearing to be interfering or officious. I don't see much of my neighbours, but when we do speak they are friendly enough. I don't want to create tension with the people I have to live next door to. I may think they're stupid or irresponsible to let their cat get pregnant, but saying so, or even implying it, would not foster good relations! It's not easy to see how I could offer to pay for a spay without causing offence.

If they do get kittens and speak to me about it, either to offer me one or just as conversation, then that would be an opening to go more into the subject. And I hope the babies inherit their mother's very attractive tortoiseshell colour, as it would make them easier to rehome. I suspect the father is a small black tom that's been hanging around this area for months - but of course a free-roaming queen might have mated with every tom in the neighbourhood. :(