How long can my cat be gone before I start to worry?

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
Hannahbelle
New Cat Chatter

How long can my cat be gone before I start to worry?

Post by Hannahbelle »

Hi, I’m starting to get a bit worried as my cat that I have had for over a year has not come home- the weather is really hot at the moment and she is a Siberian and so had very thick fur.

She is crazy about being outside, so I let them out early in the morning when it’s still cool and bring her in after a few hours (she usually comes back herself) and then I let her out again in the evening.

This morning she didn’t have her breakfast before going out and it’s been over 28 degrees.

It’s been about 9 hours and we’ve checked all the usual haunts and nothing.

I am really worried that she has been stolen but should I be?
alanc
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: How long can my cat be gone before I start to worry?

Post by alanc »

In their younger days, my two Maine Coons were quite often out for 10 hours at a stretch. Rationally, I should not have worried, but I always did.
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by fjm »

I worry - usually needlessly - at the first missed meal, every change of usual behaviour, whenever it occurs to me I haven't seen them for a few hours, etc, etc. It is possible she has got shut in somewhere - are there garages etc nearby? After 10 hours I would be emailing the immediate neighbours and checking sheds and garages, but not yet going into full panic search mode! She will probably arrive home demanding food just as you are deciding you are too anxious to go to bed!
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Ruth B »

My lad, about 4 years old, will vanish for over 18 hours fairly regularly, then wander back as if nothing has happened, normally I just find he has come in and fallen asleep somewhere. I used to worry but now I'm used to him doing it. When it gets close to the 24 hour mark I start to wonder where he is and start planning on putting up posters, knocking on doors, wandering the streets etc., by the time i have thought about it all he has normally turned up. My others, if they were gone more than one meal time I would start to worry.

It would be worth asking around the neighbours if they have seen her, ask people to check sheds etc, either in person or on posters, and don't forget to let the local charities know they often advertise lost cats on Facebook etc.

Hopefully none of this is needed and she is already home, having found somewhere nice and cool and shady in this heat.