Allergies

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
Rosielou77
Returning Cat Chatter

Allergies

Post by Rosielou77 »

We’re really keen to get a cat, would be great for our kids, but me and my husband are both allergic. Nothing major but sneezy and itchy throat. I’ve heard some cats are better than others, that some cat food helps, but most important and realistic to consider is that I hear anecdotally that the allergy to your own cat can reduce over time. Can anyone offer any advice or experience here? I’ve read it’s good to spend time with the cat before adopting it but I can’t see how that would work.
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: Allergies

Post by Ruth B »

Sometimes the allergies will reduce with exposure, but it isn't guaranteed, however there are things you can do to help reduce the reaction. Firstly the allergy isn't normally actually caused by the cats fur, it is the dander that comes off the skin that causes the allergy. Some cats do seem to cause more of an allergic reaction than others, there are even some breeds now that are sold as 'hypoallergenic' meaning they shouldn't cause much of an allergic reaction, how true it is I don't know. I would advice, if you are thinking of getting a rescue cat, then ask if you can spend some time with the cats to see if any do trigger a more severe reaction than others. The shelter staff should understand if you explain the situation and be willing to help, the last thing they want is for the cat to come back because it has set your allergies off too much, if they can help you find one that doesn't then that is best all round. I would also suggest looking at an adult cat, I'm not sure how much things like this change, but I wouldn't be surprised if it is something that changes as a kitten matures to adulthood, you don't want it to suddenly get to 6 months old and start setting off your allergies.

For the future, there are pet wipes you can get, which are supposed to help reduce the dander on the cat and therefore reduce the chance of an allergic reaction. They do need to be used regularly to have the best effect. I would also suggest you provide some good cat furniture and try and encourage your cat to use that rather than sit and sleep in the same places you do. Hoovering furniture where it does sit regularly will also help and washable throws to go over sofas and chairs that can be washed regularly is another thing that might keep the reaction down. Antihistamines are also an option if it flares up badly, but I believe it is better to prevent the reaction as much as you can than to rely on constantly taking tablets for it.

Also, while a lot of people let their cats in the bedroom don't feel you have to. I would suggest making the decision from the start, it is easier to keep to a rule than try and introduce it later. Mine have the run of the house during the day including our bedroom, but are shut out out of the room at night, I decided that a double bed wasn't big enough for 4 at the start and in over 20 years and having had several cats over the years have always managed to keep the rule, they have the rest of the house and are fine. If you want to keep your bedroom door shut permanently then do so, at least you will then know you are far less likely to wake up with a bad reaction in the night.