Cat cremation

Help & Support for those who have lost a beloved cat
Hannah1980
Frequent Cat Chatter

Cat cremation

Post by Hannah1980 »

I am so upset right now - one of my foster cats who I was planning to adopt had to be out to sleep on 5th Feb. This was extremely difficult especially as I lost my own cat 18 months ago.
When my cat died I didn't know as the vets he was taken to denied he had been taken there and after launching an investigation it turned out he had been taken there and sent off for cremation the following day so I never got his ashes.
I've just received an email to say that I won't be getting my foster cats ashes as there was a mix up at the crematorium and she has been scattered in their garden of remembrance.
I am in such a state - I know ashes will not bring her back but after my mum passed away I had and still have her ashes which bring me comfort.

I just feel like I am jinxed - 2 cats dying at a young age and not getting ashes for either of them. Feels like I am being punished
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Re: Cat cremation

Post by Mayday21 »

Hannah I'm lost for words & can't believe this has happemed & can fully understand you're beside yourself. I'm sure you'll receive posts of advice & support from others. Hugs Vivian
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

Punished for what Hannah?! You have done nothing wrong. You may not have their ashes but you could still have some kind of memorial to the two of them.

The important thing is THEY know you loved them and THEY understand. I'm sorry things are so rough for you at the moment.

Thinking of you and sending ((hugs)).

Sue
Hannah1980
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Hannah1980 »

I feel so low - I was hoping to get a piece of jewellery to put some of Milkos ashes in. All I have of Jasper are a collection of his whiskers that I used to keep when I found them.

I have one other foster cat who I am thinking of not adopting now because she might end up dead. I had Jasper for just 4 years and he died following a cat fight, and Milko was with me for only 6 months - her kidneys packed up and there was nothing that can be done - she was only 5
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

Oh please don't do that! Neither of those two things could be helped and that little girl needs you.

Purdy lost the sight in one eye due to a cat fight - she was in a bad way for a while. We lost my darling Tom to CKD (we both miss him SO much). We only had Cassidy for a short while, he died of a heart attack, and not only was Bob at death's door when OH found him, but he has FIV and had to lose a leg due to infection.

If you could have seen him today, running around and playing in the sunshine, you would know it was all worthwhile. Purdy was sunning herself and watching the birds with her good eye. We don't know what the future holds, but we do know we can make a difference to the little furries in our care.

(hugs)
Hannah1980
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Hannah1980 »

So sorry for your losses - it's so hard. I adore animals and feel like I have a connection with cats (I'm not one of those crazy people that think I'm a cat - seriously - I read about someone the other day who was convinced she was a cat trapped in a womans body?!).

When we found a stray cat way back when I was 16, that night I woke up and he was laying beside me. At my old flat, a little black cat would regularly pop round and stay for a bit. Where I am now and when I had Jasper, my old neighbours 2 cats would often come in and they would all sleep on the bed together.

I love Honey to bits - she is 10 but still quite spritely and loves playing with her laser toy! I want to help out as many cats as possible but it is so incredibly hard when something happens to them - I was starting to feel a little better today until I got the news about the ashes :?
Wanda6688
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Wanda6688 »

Hello - so sorry to read about your experiences but one sentence of yours in particular made me want to respond 'I just feel like I am jinxed - 2 cats dying at a young age and not getting ashes for either of them. Feels like I am being punished' - no, no, no, it was not your fault in any way. It is terribly sad but it was circumstances - you did nothing wrong.

I completely understand the feeling of loss as I lost my boy late last year and yes I still feel guilty - if I had or not done this or that, then maybe the outcome would have been different - but if you give them love and care - you have done everything you can.

Thinking of you, take care xx
Karenanne
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Karenanne »

So sorry to hear about your losses. I lost my little Gatsby two weeks ago. He is at the bottom of my garden so I do have a place I can go but what I wanted to say was it doesn't make it any easier. There are places all over the house that are his. Could you make your own memorial, maybe with a photo and candle somewhere in your house. I have one with Gatsby's name on it and light it every night. The jewellery idea is also lovely. I think what I am trying to say is that we are both still trying to find ways to connect. We will always connect because we loved them. I hope you don't mind these suggestions. Kx
GillianH
Experienced Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by GillianH »

Karenanne - what a lovely thing to do.

I too lost one of my boys 2 weeks ago and he has a place in the garden but I see him all over the house as well. I might do that myself.
Hannah1980
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Hannah1980 »

I plan to get 3 nice photo frames and put my fave pic of each cat (the 2 that have passed and the one I am going to adopt) to go on my wall. I really wanted something that I could wear - whenever I go out I always wear a ring that was my Mums and it makes me feel closer to her (if that makes sense)

Any ideas/suggestions would be great - my brain is all over the place at the moment x