Heartbroken

Help & Support for those who have lost a beloved cat
Franlow
Returning Cat Chatter

Heartbroken

Post by Franlow »

My beautiful little black cat Ditto developed a swollen eyelid. I took her to the vets & they gave me some cream. By the Monday her eye was swollen badly & she was taken back to the vets & kept in all week for tests. She had Ocular carcinoma. The next Tuesday, Data my big tabby had blood tests, he had lost a lot of weight & it was obvious a thyroid problem. Test came back as such & he went on medication whilst Ditto was on tramadol. By the time Friday came, poor Ditto was in such pain, we had her euthanased.
That afternoon Data started scratching his face - I thought he had something stuck in his teeth, but couldn't see anything. I took him back to the vets where vet told me he was allergic to the vitalda Thyroid medication, so, he would need the op ASAP. He had already had 1 thyroid removed Jan 2015. He had the op on Thursday & my vet phoned in the afternoon saying she wanted to send tissue off for biopsy. I knew immediately it was carcinoma. I am lucky to have a referral vet for Thyroid problems. It came back as positive.
We scraped money together to get him radioactive iodine treatment at the Royal Veterinary college & he went in for Scintigraphy 3rd Oct & had the iodine treatment high dose on 6h October. Everything went perfectly, for 10 days, then he stopped eating. Blood tests showed his thyroid tumour was dead, so, the treatment worked, he got a dental abscess. This was the straw that broke the camels back. They put him in intensive care, with a feeding tube, heart monitor & antibiotics & painkillers. He went within 4 days from being a skinny cat on the up, to skin & bones not being able to move. Thursday morning I was allowed to go & see him, he couldn't even sit up sadly we said goodbye as I talked to him - I couldn't hold him as it was too dangerous. Tooth decay bought on Acute renal failure. Any other time this would have been a simple fix, but, not with this treatment.
I know we had no choice as the tumour would have killed him if we did nothing, but, if only we had looked after his teeth properly, he would have been coming home next Friday. Instead I have lost 2 cats in 7 weeks and it is just unbearable.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Heartbroken

Post by Lilith »

Hi Franlow and welcome. I'm so very sorry to hear this.

I've had about a zillion cats in my life, from rescues and ferals to pedigree Siamese and thought I'd seen and nursed enough ailments but I've never encountered this sort of thing (paws crossed!) I think I've been lucky. I've learned so much since joining this forum and know how supportive it is; you've come to the right place but you must be in pieces right now. I've said before that bereavement is a cruel process and can't describe it in any other way.

Hugs and assurances that we are like-minded people who know what you're going through, all the very best and keep in touch x
Franlow
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Franlow »

I have had cats for 30+ years and never had one with cancer. I know how lucky that is. Had 5 Hyperthyroid, one with CRF, but this is just so cruel. The worst thing is Data wasn't with us, on his own, in a cage with strangers.
My vet has only ever seen one other case of thyroid carcinoma & the treatment is so expensive - £3,800 so far most people just choose to euthanase. Ditto was just 12 & Data 15 1/2. That may sound old, but, in all my years of cat owning, I have never lost one under the age of 18.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Kay »

you must be devastated - knowing you have been incredibly unlucky is not going to make it one iota easier, and it isn't going to help much to know that everyone on here will feel for you so much

because the thyroid was cancerous there was not time I suppose to do the usual medication to see if there was any underlying kidney problems - but Ditto and Data died with the sound of your voice in their ears, so they were not alone
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by Mayday21 »

Hi Franlow my thoughts are with you at this difficult times as others who post their support. Yesterday was talking to past treasurer of the previous Cat Protection Society here. We ended up talking about losing treasured fur babies. She actually went to a grief psychologist who told her the grief felt relates to time & emotions invested when we lose a family member - human or pet- we love. Quite purrfound & I hope this is of some comfort as you grieve. Post & people here will support you. Vivian
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Ruth B »

I just wanted to add my thoughts and sympathies to those already offered. I have only ever lost one cat at a time and that always cut me up, losing two so close together must be dreadful. Don't be ashamed to share your feelings, we all understand and anyone who doesn't must have a heart of stone.

One I can add, my Father was a dentist and a dental abscess can occur extremely quickly, with very little rational as to who gets one and who doesn't. Even if he had been given a full dental workover just before the other treatment there is no certainty that the abscess wouldn't have occurred anyway.

You have done everything you could to care for both of them, try not to feel guilty, you couldn't have done more.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

Hello Franlow and welcome to CC. I just wish it could be under better circumstances. I am so sorry to hear about Ditto and Data, how sad to lose them so close together.

I can't add anymore to what has already been said. Just know that we understand and are here for you.

Sue xx