Lost my beloved cat this afternoon

Help & Support for those who have lost a beloved cat
Anchoret
New Cat Chatter

Lost my beloved cat this afternoon

Post by Anchoret »

Hi everyone,

I lost my beloved feline this afternoon. She ran straight out into the road, right into the path of a car. She was only 8 months old and all I call think is, 'Why didn't I bring her in when I first saw her?' Now I can't stop blaming myself, I feel like I killed her. Can barely stop crying, it was all my fault.
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: Lost my beloved cat this afternoon

Post by Ruth B »

Please try not to blame yourself, your were doing everything you could to give her the best life possible. Unfortunately accidents happen and it doesn't matter if it is a young cat running in front of a car, or as happened to one of my Mother's several years ago, the car turned onto the drive and he was just in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Perhaps, when you feel the time is right, you will want another cat to help fill the gap this one has left (I always feel you can never replace one you have lost, but a new one can help with the emptiness left behind), come back here then and there are plenty who will help with advise to help prevent the same thing happening it in the future. I won't mention anything now, you don't need to drown in 'what ifs', you did your best for her and that is what matters.
Matt1981
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Matt1981 »

I know exactly how you feel. About three and a half weeks ago I lost my beautiful one year old Cat Smudge to the road. He was the sweetest boy and was cruel the way he was taken. Just the day before he slept on my lap after I had fed him Dreamies for his birthday.

I didn't witness it found out when I got home from work was horrible. You. Will blame yourself for a while its part of the natural grieving process but it's not your fault. We have to let our cats be cats they will go out and roam and there's always the risk this could happen.

Just treasure the memories you shared and although replacing an old animal is impossible. I adopted two lovely Black Kittens and it has gone some way to mending my broken heart.

Other people here will help support you this isn't easy. Despite my new additions I feel when Smudge died he tools bit of my heart with him.
Anchoret
New Cat Chatter

Post by Anchoret »

Thanks for all your comments, today has been dreadful. Couldn't have my usual breakfast (she used to get on the bed and steal cornflakes from the spoon) and my husband offered me boiled eggs for lunch and I collapsed in tears (she adored eggs.) I just feel so heartbroken and angry, angry at myself, angry at the driver - although he did stop and was distraught himself, and I keep thinking that if God is trying to teach me a lesson, must it be so painful?

I keep hoping that it will get better. I know only time will help, but it's as if my heart's been ripped from my chest it hurts so much.
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by Mayday21 »

Hello Anchoret the next few weeks (even months) are going to be tough especially in light of what's just around the corner. Xmas isn't my favourite time. Those who post on this forum understand all the emotions you're going through. And people will be there with kind words. No matter a fur babes demise it's so acute & hearbreaking. I'm so glad I found this site just over a year ago when Mayday left me & then a work colleague who's a Buddhist spoke to me about their beliefs. She told me to light a tea candle & wish my darling Mayday a safe journey. Buddhists do this but their candle burns all day/night. Perhaps you could try this. It's never too late. We suffer so much because we care for our fur babes so much as they're not pets they're family members. Take care - and don't worry about the tears all part of the grieving process. Vivian
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

I am so sorry to hear about your cat. Many of us here know just what you are going through. It's something you wouldn't wish on anyone. I know it is easy to say but please don't blame yourself.

The sadness never quite goes away but the pain does fade in time. You know where we are. RIP little puss. (hugs) to you. x