Feeling guilty

Help & Support for those who have lost a beloved cat
Kittylover
New Cat Chatter

Feeling guilty

Post by Kittylover »

My kitty Pellegrino passed away yesterday! He was battling epilepsy and was on Keprra 3 times a day. The medication seemed to help for about a month with him having less seizures. He went from having about 3 a day to one every 3 days.

One day I made a huge medication error and didn’t realize it. My naproxen was out and instead of giving him Keppra I gave him naproxen. A few days later he had GI tract bleeding and kidney failure. I really really try to save him and he battled for a couple of days. Unfortunately the first night in the hospital they didn’t give him the Keppra, but the next day after he had two seizures they started giving it to him again. Even on the Keppra almost beginning the next day at 6:00am he had another seizure and never regained consciousness. About an hour later he went into respiratory arrest and lost a lot of brain function. It was at that time I had to make the hard decision of letting him go!

If I didn’t make a huge medication error he would still be with me!

RIP Pellegrino! I Love you and I am sooo sorry!

October 2003-November 1, 2017
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Re: Feeling guilty

Post by Mayday21 »

Hell Kitty so sorry to read that you've lost your lovely Pellegrino RIP little un. Can't comment on meds but take some comfort you were trying to help. We've all felt guilty on the passing of our fur babes & gone through the "if only" & beating up on ourselves. By the sound of it you gave Pellegrino a quality of life when others may have not bothered. I'm sure you'll receive posts from others providing comfort & support. Take care & go with the grieving process which will bring up lots of emotions. Vivian
Last edited by Mayday21 on Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Re: Feeling guilty

Post by bobbys girl »

I can't really add anything to what Vivian has said. Just to say you know where we are and we know what you are going through. RIP sweet Pellegrino. xx