Think my cats may have been intentionally poisoned

Help & Support for those who have lost a beloved cat
Pammie
New Cat Chatter

Think my cats may have been intentionally poisoned

Post by Pammie »

Firstly, it’s so nice to know everyone here understands how deeply the loss of a cat can hurt, one of the hardest thing she has been the feeling most people dismiss it. We lost our gorgeous boy Sox back in February, he was about 3 years old & we’d had him for 2 years, he was perfect, chilled out, loved the dog, loved my 8 year old girl, he used to run to her if she cried and rub around her. He died of poison which was advised to be most likely anti freeze, having had several cats with no such problems before we put it down to a very unfortunate accident, a one off. We missed him so much but wanted to give another cat a home so a couple of months later we rehomed a little girl we called Saffy, only about 9 months old & the sweetest thing, in August she died the same way. I recognised the symptoms early this time but it wasn’t enough despite a week of fighting for her. So it’s clearly not likely to be anti freeze in summer, I can’t help thinking some one has done this intentionally, I feel so guilty and bad that I took these cats from shelters to give them a second chance and this what happened to them at such a young age. We clearly can’t have another cat & just let it out again, I’m thinking of cat proofing the garden but I still feel this terrible dread that somehow it’s not what I think and will just happen again, I can’t imagine our family without a kitty, we’ve even thought about moving, just not sure what to do. I feel so sad for what happened I just find myself crying all the time still months later.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Re: Think my cats may have been intentionally poisoned

Post by bobbys girl »

So sorry to hear about your cats. Still might be antifreeze. Before you may have been able to put it down to an accident. But this sounds intentional. It's horrible to think there are people out there who think it's OK to poison cats.

Same thing happened to my sisters cats. She lost the older one, Lysander, but managed to save Yowlee. Though he had kidney problems for the rest of his life.

Can you cat proof your garden? It would be a shame not to have a cat just because of some unmentionable b@$+@*π :twisted: :twisted:
Pammie
New Cat Chatter

Post by Pammie »

Thank you. We are certainly going to look at that in the new year, I’ll feel incredibly paranoid about getting another cat though!
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by Mayday21 »

Hi Pammie there are some dreadful people around. Your post makes me so angry & so sad. I just can’t fathom why people would deliberately do this. Hopefully karma will pay them back tenfold :twisted: What about an inside only cat? Vivian