In desperate need of advice about a stray cat.

Queries and discussions about cat rescue & rehoming
Rectangle
Frequent Cat Chatter

In desperate need of advice about a stray cat.

Post by Rectangle »

A few weeks ago, I noticed that a local stray had taken up permanent residence in the garden next door. A few months prior to that, I had heard the same cat howling on the rooftops. After seeking out the source of the noise, I saw her yowling at the window of an attic bedroom. After knocking on the door to tell the person who lived there that their cat was in great distress trying to get in, the man who lived there told me that he didn’t have a cat, and that he’d caught a stray cat sleeping in his son’s bedroom (the attic bedroom) on a number of occasions. I’ve seen this cat go in other people’s windows too. I assumed it was a bit of a vagabond, but now I think she is just desperate for someone to take her in. These last few weeks, it has barely moved from next door’s garden, which is nothing but decking and concrete. It lies on the patio all day long and sleeps in a corner on the concrete floor at night. It has gotten dirtier and dirtier by the day. A few days ago, it yowled desperately at me.
I felt that whoever owns this cat was clearly not looking after it, had abandoned it, and that it was now struggling.

I decided to do something. I followed the advice on your front page. I put a paper collar on it, but I knew no one would call (which they didn’t) as the poor thing was outside next door yowling throughout the night.
I have asked around and no one knows whose it is.
I fed it and provided it clean water (for which it was incredibly grateful).
(It is the most loving cat I’ve ever come across.)
I’ve called the RSPCA, but, as is the all too usual response from those guys, unless it is at death’s door they won’t do a thing.
I cannot take the cat in myself as I have an old, extremely shy cat that would not tolerate it – just having the other cat’s scent on me is making her uncharacteristically angry and depressed.
There are no animal shelters in my town.
I have gone to the vets, they can do nothing and the cat has not been reported missing to them.
I have checked on the missing registers to no avail.

The weather’s taken a turn for the worse, so I’ve made a small shelter out of an old bedside cabinet, some bin liners, a bath mat or two, and some cardboard - it has slept in there the past few nights.
It is desperate to come inside the house though, it so much wants to be in a home it breaks my heart.

I cannot keep it there any longer though as the extreme distress its presence is causing to my cat is something I can’t allow to go on.

I need to find a place for this cat ASAP!
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Re: In desperate need of advice about a stray cat.

Post by Crewella »

Thank you so much for caring about this cat. You don't give a location, but if you click on your area on the map here, you will find a list of rescues at least in your county:

http://www.catchat.org/adoption/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It would be well worth ringing round, most (if not all) will be full, but will have a waiting list you can put her on. Do that - it might take a little time for a space to come up at one of them, but at least you will have started the process of securing her a future, and perseverance will pay off. Best of luck.
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

Rectangle, where are you based?
Rectangle
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Rectangle »

I am in Merthyr Tydfil, South Wales, Sarah.

Thanks for the list, Crewella. It doesn't look like I am in the catchment area for the vast majority that are somewhat near me. There are two or three that don't say where their areas extend to, I shall call those up tomorrow (and the ones that aren't). By hook or by crook, I will find this cat somewhere to go tomorrow.
Rectangle
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Rectangle »

Nothing :(
Either “Not in catchment area”, “Phone number's no longer in use”, “Full up, sorry”.

Cat is yowling like mad outside even though it has been fed:
Attachments
DSCI0222.JPG
DSCI0222.JPG (215.23 KiB) Viewed 7463 times
DSCI0221.JPG
DSCI0221.JPG (225.98 KiB) Viewed 7463 times
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Keep trying, even the ones out of catchment area, especially the smaller independent rescues. I volunteer for a small rescue, and I know that on several occasions a story has touched the heart of on of the rescuers and we've taken a cat from further away (though we're Herts/Bucks, so South Wales is definitely too far!). And ask to go on the waiting list.

Beautiful cat, I really wish I could help, good luck.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

Sounds like someone has moved house and left the cat to fend for itself. Who could do that? What a beautiful girl. I wish I could help. It's so frustrating. :(

I really hope you can find somewhere for her soon. Can any of your neighbours help?
Rectangle
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Rectangle »

^My neighbours couldn't give a monkeys.

The rescue shelters are all full up and not taking on any cats whatsoever - there was no mention of waiting lists.

The cat is getting bolder in its attempts to get in the house now; unless i am hyper-vigilant, it will get in somehow (I will be hyper-vigilant though, my cat's safety depends upon it, but my family might not be). I can smell it through the closed doors now, my cat does not like it at all . . .
Rectangle
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Rectangle »

Bobbys girl, I think you might be right. One of the houses I used to see it climb in the window of is now vacant, which makes me think that was its home. I will try to locate the former occupiers and see if it is theirs. Although, if it is theirs, I feel like the cat would be better off with anyone other than them.

I feel bad sleeping in the warmth with my fat cat snoring at my side while it is out there, although it doesn't seem to mind with its hot water bottle and bellyful of food, but still.
Rectangle
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Rectangle »

Fingers crossed, a distant relation who likes cats may take it . . .
Rectangle
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Rectangle »

It's gone.
Gone to live with the distant relative (an auntie) who i'd never met before today.

I'm suspicious of the environment it has gone to though; when the phrases "It'll live in a caravan I have for them" and "They help keep the rat numbers down" are bandied about, I can't help but worry about the situation it will find itself in. Still, she did say she would keep it separate from the other cats for a period of time, that she knows to do that suggests she has some understanding of how to treat cats. The cat seemed half-feral anyway, so maybe running about the end of a field chasing rats will be a good life for it? Some other positives: the boy seemed keen on keeping it, wanted to be the one to hold its basket; the auntie said she would keep us updated on how it fits in.

I'm sad though. I miss it already and I'm worried about where it has gone. I wish that circumstances were different and that I could've kept it. I will remember it as 'Mia'. Another family member, who I trust, will soon be passing by the place it will have gone to and will relay back to me what sort of conditions the cat will be living in.
I think I'm concentrating too much on what I perceive as negatives, maybe the caravan is not the urine-stinking hell-hole I imagine it to be and is, instead, a well-kept kitty haven. Fields were mentioned, so that's good too, right?

I want it back, but I can't keep it and no one else can either.

Thoughts?
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

Well I read
Rectangle wrote:Fingers crossed, a distant relation who likes cats may take it . . .
and I thought 'Yipee'.

Then I read
Rectangle wrote:I'm suspicious of the environment it has gone to though; when the phrases "It'll live in a caravan I have for them" and "They help keep the rat numbers down" are bandied about, I can't help but worry about the situation it will find itself in.
and I though 'ooh er'.

I understand your dilemma about keeping her. But I think I'd be worried about where she was going to. Perhaps the other family member can soon put your mind at ease. I hope so!
Rectangle
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Rectangle »

^I hope so.

And if not? I'm not going to wash my hands of it. I would have to... what? Bring it back here to live in its little shelter while my own cat becomes ever more scared to go downstairs? What could I do? I can't believe there is not one local cat rescue, or foster home of some sort, or at the very least, some kind person with their own makeshift rescue hut. I'll . . .

I wish I had money, a lot of money, I'd open a shelter here.

Just been nosing at the facebook page of the person it has gone to. I was hoping to see a picture of the garden, but it would appear that they live on a farm. They have a lot of animals: horses, dogs, ducks etc. It looks a bit ramshackle but all the animals look happy and clean and loved. There are a helluva lot of photos of the kids looking very happy at various animal shows too which is a good sign.
Rectangle
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Rectangle »

Apparently, it is not a farm but a smallholding. Also, I've been told the family loves animals and takes great care of them, showing their horses at events and stuff. She took it in out of the goodness of her heart and I assume the worst because rats and a caravan are mentioned. It's going to be a farm (smallholding) cat with its own caravan and lots of geese and kids it can chase about.

Has to be better than this:
(The sellotaping looked better on the first door shape I cut out, but the cat wouldn't go inside when it was like that. Trial and error led me to leaving a long gap at the bottom, which I assume the cat liked because it granted a wider view out and a larger gap to run out, but by that time I'd given up on aesthetics.)
DSCI0226.JPG
DSCI0226.JPG (216.68 KiB) Viewed 7342 times
My cat having a sniff about, the first time she's been outside in a good few days.
DSCI0224.JPG
DSCI0224.JPG (210.8 KiB) Viewed 7342 times

Thanks for your help, advice, and concern, catchatters. I'll keep you posted on its condition and whether or not I have to bring her back.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

Well that does sound a lot more hopeful. :) It's nice to see your girl venturing out.

I know what you mean about the shelter. Some folks we know (who were keen to move back to England - God knows why) have just sold their lovely little house, complete with stream, wood and a couple of acres of land for a knock-down price of £125.000! We always said it would be an ideal place for us to open a shelter and my OH to have his Donkey (he's potty about them).

It might have been a ridiculously low price for such a fantastic place but it was still out of our reach. Ah well, there's always the lottery! :lol:

Keep in touch
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

That's great news, and it does seem that your fears were unfounded. I'm so pleased - for the cat, for you, and for your cat. Good work, well done! :D

Your shelter looks OK to me, I bet the cat was very grateful for it. And your lovely little cat looks a bit like my Grumpy nellie (in my avatar). :)
Rectangle
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Rectangle »

bobbys girl wrote:Well that does sound a lot more hopeful. :) It's nice to see your girl venturing out.

I know what you mean about the shelter. Some folks we know (who were keen to move back to England - God knows why) have just sold their lovely little house, complete with stream, wood and a couple of acres of land for a knock-down price of £125.000! We always said it would be an ideal place for us to open a shelter and my OH to have his Donkey (he's potty about them).

It might have been a ridiculously low price for such a fantastic place but it was still out of our reach. Ah well, there's always the lottery! :lol:

Keep in touch
That sounds perfect, like a John Constable painting with a sticker of a donkey stuck on it.

I’ll send good feelings your way the next time the lottery is on :)
Rectangle
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Rectangle »

Crewella wrote:That's great news, and it does seem that your fears were unfounded. I'm so pleased - for the cat, for you, and for your cat. Good work, well done! :D

Your shelter looks OK to me, I bet the cat was very grateful for it. And your lovely little cat looks a bit like my Grumpy nellie (in my avatar). :)
:) I hope they will ultimately prove to be unfounded. I am going to have to find out more precise details about the place it has gone before my mind will be at ease – I feel almost heartbroken seeing it go, I miss going to feed her, or him (I suspect it was not a girl after all), before it bedded down for the night.

Yeah, she does look like your wee Nellie. The vet always tells me that my cat looks grumpy (she isn’t though), says it is a trait of the tortie – God love ‘em (torties, that is, not vets).
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

Well done, Rectangle. Despite your reservations, you have absolutely done the best you could for this little one. Your own girl had to come first. The reason we have three cats, rather than four, is because our oldest girl is up to her capacity of acceptance and it's not fair to diminish the quality of life for the cat(s) we have already committed to care for. Is the small holding a reasonable distance for you to visit? You could check up on them that way?!

Sue - £125,000 for all that wonderful land! Blooming London property prices are insane and that's abut the price for garage here now. The sooner we can think about moving out of London the better I'm thinking...
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

I know Sarah, ridiculous isn't it? Fermanagh - beautiful countryside, friendly people, some of the cheapest property/land in the UK. What's not to like?

Well the midges for one thing! Also, Enniskillen serves us well for weekly grocery/kitty nosh etc. But for any 'serious' shoppers or for entertainment, Derry is 70 miles away and Belfast 90! London looking a bit more appealing? :lol: :lol:

Home is where the heart is and anywhere my kitties are happy that'll do me!
Fran_ki
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by Fran_ki »

Hi everyone :)
What's the latest news rectangle ?
Any update on wee kitties new abode ? Xx
Rectangle
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Rectangle »

^Sorry. I couldn't get any more news about the cat as the father of the family I gave the cat to (my cousin) passed away suddenly and unexpectedly at the age of 29, not long after they took the cat.
It was my cousin who arranged for his wife and young children to take the cat; they were separated at the time and I'd never really had any contact with her other than once or twice at family gatherings (or so i've been told, i couldn't remember her), so once he died I had no one to ask and it wouldn't have been appropriate what with what they were going through.