Advice on fostering

Queries and discussions about cat rescue & rehoming
HannahL
Frequent Cat Chatter

Advice on fostering

Post by HannahL »

Dear all,

Me and my partner have decided that adopting our own cat is not a suitable option for us both at the moment due to possible changes of circumstance. I am a student and he works full time and we would both love a cat. I am thinking of the possibility of fostering as we can offer a knowledgeable loving home, but it gives us flexibility if our circumstances change - these are only circumstances such as if I go on placement it may be unfair on the cat etc. I am aware that there would be attachment issues but am prepared that I can handle this given that I will keep in mind the fundamental work being done by whichever charity we may choose to help.

So now I am doing a lot of reading around/contacting charities etc to find out more. We possibly have a spare room but could not keep outside due to restrictions on land use (we already have a shed which takes up the maximum floor space allowed by the council). Does fostering mean the cat/s must stay in a cage/secure home while being fostered or can they be integrated into the household as a normal pet cat? We have no other pets except 5 outdoor guinea pigs (well used to cats) and no children.

Is there any recommendations on charities for fostering? We live in north Leeds.

Thank you in advance. :)
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Advice on fostering

Post by Kay »

Hi Hannah

every rescue has its own set of rules, so I can only suggest you contact those in your area - you'll find them listed on the main CatChat site - and discuss what you can offer, and go from there

good luck
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

Good on you for considering fostering - I'm sure there will be a charity in your area that can use your help.

Charities usually ask for foster cats to be kept separate from other pets, but as you only have outdoor guinea pigs I can't see there would be a problem. You might still be best off using your spare room though, so as to minimise the chance of an escape. Have a chat and be guided by the charity, as Kay says they are all different.

I started fostering just over a year ago and I've not regretted it once. Good luck!
HannahL
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by HannahL »

Thank you! I have had success contacting the Leeds Cat Rescue who are encouraging that the cat/s live within the household rather than separate. So we would have a room spare for isolation periods or for any reason the cat/s should need to be kept enclosed.

I am very excited about this but we are going to take it very slowly and if all goes well hopefully have a cat to foster into the new year.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

That's great, I'm so pleased for you. It is sad when you have to let them go, but you have to think of the fact that they will have a proper forever home of their own, and you will then be able to help another cat in need. I have had some lovely updates from the new families of some of the cats I have fostered, it makes it all worthwhle. I wish you all the very best with it. xx
HannahL
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by HannahL »

We're so happy to say that we have been in lots of contact with Leeds Cat Rescue and will be fostering our first cat in just over a weeks time! Unless she is rehomed over the next week or so, Flora will be coming to stay with us! She was a stray found under a hedge in the rain with a new litter of kittens. She is part Manx and has no tail but her heart is fine. Very exciting!
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

That's great news, I can imagine how excited you are! Wishing you all the very best, and keep us posted. xx