Cat introduction

Queries and discussions about cat rescue & rehoming
countrysnail
New Cat Chatter

Cat introduction

Post by countrysnail »

Has anyone had any good experience with introducing a young cat, 6 months - 2 years, to an older cat, 15? I currently have a beautiful 15 year old female cat, who has previously lived with 2 other cats, the last one died in 2013. And I would love to get another cat, but I am worried about introductions. My cat doesn't go out much and certainty doesn't like the neighboring cat, and also we live in a ground floor flat with only 3 separate rooms, so I'm not sure I'd be able to place them in separate rooms. Sorry for my mad ramblings, does anyone have any advice? Or should I just be happy with the kitty I've got.... Thanks
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Cat introduction

Post by Lilith »

Hi there and welcome; only you know your own cat of course, but if she's been a communal cat in the past that's a good start. The majority of cats ARE communal even if they don't allow neighbourhood cats on to their own territory. My youngest cat was introduced as a delinquent adolescent (exact age unknown) to 3 older cats including a grand old chap of at least 15, and he adored her, even when she jumped on his poor old arthritic back. Care does have to be taken that the young cat doesn't overwhelm the old cat of course, although I think Finn would have walloped Molly if she'd hurt him, and private space managed if needs be, and you'll have to be prepared for sulks and growls and make an extra fuss of the older cat, but personally I don't see why this couldn't work.

Exchanging scents, such as exchanging blankets and even rubbing the cats down with their mate's blankets, is another way of getting them used to each other.

At night and if you're out I would keep them apart at first but honestly I think it's worth a go.

I once knew a very elderly and arthritic Siamese who was too old to run about and play, but who lay and flicked the tip of her tail for the younger breeding queens' kittens to play with :D

Hope this helps for now, and other people will be along with further advice hopefully - please let us know how you go on and all the best :)
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Re: Cat introduction

Post by Crewella »

I have several elderly cats and have introduced them all to the gang over the years. Most important is to make sure that the incoming cat is sociable, and try to get one that's not too much of a live wire as older cats often don't appreciate attempts at boisterous play!

The advice here is good:

http://www.catchat.org/index.php/new-cat-introductions