Where else to look for a rescue cat?

Queries and discussions about cat rescue & rehoming
Ady2017
New Cat Chatter

Where else to look for a rescue cat?

Post by Ady2017 »

Hi all

Back in October of last year my 16 year old cat died and the whole family have been devastated ever since. We have been trying to find another cat to fill the void that she has left but we are having so much trouble trying to find a rescue cat. We keep reading not to buy kittens as the rescue centres are full but this is definitely not the case. I live in Derbyshire and for the last few months I have searched rescue centres Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire and all over and cats tend to be in the centres for just a few days and then are gone. Some places seem to be running waiting lists for cats. Am I looking in the wrong places? I am going to have to start searching pet shops soon.

My last cat was a calico (tabby tortie and white) and would really like another like her. I don't care how far I have to travel or even if she is a few years old.

Thanks

Adrian
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: Where else to look for a rescue cat?

Post by Ruth B »

It is rather out of kitten season if you were looking for a kitten, but if you don't mind one a few months or even a year or two old then I'm surprised that you can't find one.

Your local branch of Cats Protection would always be a good place to start. Remember they may not always have all the cats listed on the website so actually emailing or ringing up might be a good idea.

While it's a bit of a distance I know the the ARC the Ashmore Rescue for Cats in Wolverhampton had a couple of tortie girls recently that might be still available. They do have an adoption fee of £75 but all cats come ready neutered/spayed, vaccinated, micro chipped and dewormed and defleaed, so quite a bargain really.
MarySkater
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by MarySkater »

Just in case you haven't already noticed it, this is the "find a shelter" page on this site:
http://www.catchat.org/index.php/cat-re ... uk-ireland

Good luck in your search.
GitaBooks
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 7

Post by GitaBooks »

Kitten season is over, which is why kittens under 14 weeks are difficult to find during the winter. However, there are still out there, and if not, just wait a month or two and you'll be finding some kittens soon. : )

Other places to search include people rehoming animals (be careful of scams) or people with pregnant or nursing mother cats who need to rehome their kittens soon. Shelters, vets, pet stores, and other such places may know people who have kittens they can't keep or that were recently found. Some shelters have kittens too young to be up for adoption now, so you can ask if they will be available soon. Our shelter is glad for any cat adoptions, I know, and is happy when people agree to adopt an animal that is on hold. It makes it so much better to know they have a home waiting.

I'm sorry about your cat, he sounds like he had a wonderful home and a happy life.

Best of luck finding a kitty!!